Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Random BSOD (ntoskrnl.exe)

This is a discussion on Random BSOD (ntoskrnl.exe) within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. OS - Vista/ Windows 7 ? Windows 7 x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? x64 What was original

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS - Vista/ Windows 7 ? Windows 7 x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? x64 What was original installed OS on system? Windows 7 Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? pre-installed Age of system (hardware): all parts are different age Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? about 3 months CPU AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ Video Card Evga gtx 550 ti (I know its overkill, I'm just using it in this build until i get my new parts to build my other rig) MotherBoard Asrock n68s-ucc Power Supply - brand & wattage Corsair GS600w System Manufacturer Custom

Attached Files
File Type: zip Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2.zip (689.0 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Registered Member

More dumps
Attached Files
File Type: zip Desktop.zip (195.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi,

There are some verifier enabled D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bugchecks, faulting dxgmss1.sys (DirectX) and nvlddmkm.sys (nVidia video driver). Given the bugcheck and the faults, this is likely indicative of a video driver issue. I'm going to recommend updating to the latest graphics card drivers, and if you already have, uninstall the latest and rollback to a previous version.

dtsoftbus01.sys is listed in your drivers list, this is the Daemon Tools driver and is a very popular causer of BSOD's. I recommend uninstalling this software and replacing it with an alternative such as : Power ISO, Magic ISO, Img Burn, etc.

Regards,

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJB View Post
Hi,

There are some verifier enabled D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bugchecks, faulting dxgmss1.sys (DirectX) and nvlddmkm.sys (nVidia video driver). Given the bugcheck and the faults, this is likely indicative of a video driver issue. I'm going to recommend updating to the latest graphics card drivers, and if you already have, uninstall the latest and rollback to a previous version.

dtsoftbus01.sys is listed in your drivers list, this is the Daemon Tools driver and is a very popular causer of BSOD's. I recommend uninstalling this software and replacing it with an alternative such as : Power ISO, Magic ISO, Img Burn, etc.

Regards,

Patrick
I already uninstalled daemon tools and everything that came with it and as far as the drivers I'm going to install 301.42 which is a normal driver and uninstall the current beta driver that I'm using.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Sounds good, keep me updated :)

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Sounds good, keep me updated :)

Regards,

Patrick

I went like 3 hours without a bsod and then all of a sudden I got another one. Still pointing to ntoskrnl.exe but this time it was KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. Dump is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 081412-21750-01 - Copy.zip (23.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Let's enable Driver Verifier now to see if we can rule out or catch a driver -

Driver Verifier:
Quote:
What is Driver Verifier?

Driver Verifier is included in Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 to promote stability and reliability; you can use this tool to troubleshoot driver issues. Windows kernel-mode components can cause system corruption or system failures as a result of an improperly written driver, such as an earlier version of a Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver.

Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be at issue, enabling Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver by flagging it and causing your system to BSOD.

Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point

Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"

How to enable Driver Verifier:

Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -

1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"

2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"

3. Check the following boxes -

- Special Pool

- Pool Tracking

- Force IRQL Checking

- Deadlock Detection

- Security Checks (Windows 7)

- Concurrentcy Stress Test (Windows 8)

- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)

- Miscellaneous Checks

4. Select - "Select driver names from a list"

5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.

6. Check EVERY box that is NOT provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.

7. Click on Finish.

8. Restart.

Important information regarding Driver Verifier:

- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD.

- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for
example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows
because Driver Verifier will flag it, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.

If this happens, do not panic, do the following:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.

- Choose the restore point you created earlier.

If you did not set up a restore point, do not worry, you can still disable Driver Verifier to get
back into normal Windows:

- Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.

- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.

- Restart and boot into normal Windows.

How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?

It varies, many experts and analysts have different recommendations. Personally, I recommend
keeping it enabled for at least 36-48 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier.

My system BSOD'd, where can I find the crash dumps?

They will be located in C:\Windows\Minidump

Any other questions can most likely be answered by this article:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
Registered Member

I've done that already but I will try it again.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

Only attach the verifier enabled dump it generates when you do BSOD again, thanks.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
Registered Member

Alright so I just BSOD'd again. Here's the dump.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 081412-18656-01.zip (22.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

The latest is a verifier enabled dump that flagged the nVidia video drivers again. Have you gone from the beta drivers to the official normal drivers, or possibly rolled back to any earlier versions?

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
Registered Member

I uninstalled the beta drivers and cleaned the registry and then restarted and installed the normal drivers and i still bsod. I was using the beta drivers for about 7 days without a bsod before i switched cards and then switched back. Should i try to use an even OLDER one?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
before i switched cards and then switched back
That may be indicative of the issue, make sure when you re-seated the card, you re-seated it correctly, etc. Either that or the beta drivers may work fine on the card that you switched to, but not on the original card.

So yes, you can try an even earlier version too.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
That may be indicative of the issue, make sure when you re-seated the card, you re-seated it correctly, etc. Either that or the beta drivers may work fine on the card that you switched to, but not on the original card.

So yes, you can try an even earlier version too.

Regards,

Patrick
The two cards i used were different and they used different drivers but before i switched cards both times i uninstalled the drivers, cleaned registry, turned off the pc, switched to new card, installed the right drivers. I will try reseating the card. I doubt the drivers are the source of the problem.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

Honestly, cleaning the registry may be your entire issue here. It's never necessary to clean the registry, even in cases of driver uninstalls and reinstalls. The only time I ever recommend using a program like Driver Sweeper would be a LAST HOPE scenario, before a reformat of system restore. Registry Cleaners? I never recommend. They are disasters waiting to happen.

Your registry is probably really mucked up, so I would actually recommend system restoring to the date BEFORE you first cleaned the registry after switching cards. If that's possible, of course... it isn't always.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #16
Registered Member

I've been using them for years and never had any problems until now and we still dont know if that was the problem or not yet. I going to bed but when I wake up im going to re-seat my card and do a system restore.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
Registered Member

I re-seated my card and reinstalled windows and It was fine for a while but i just bsod'd again. Here's the dump.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 081512-27625-01.zip (19.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

The latest attached dump is still a D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bugcheck, but no longer faulting nvidia drivers of directx. As one of the usual causes is memory being the issue, I'm going to recommend running Memtest86+

Memtest86+:

Quote:
Download Memtest86+ here:
Quote:

https://www.memtest.org/

Which should I download?

You can either download the pre-compiled ISO that you would burn to a CD and then boot from the CD, or you can download the auto-installer for the USB key. What this will do is format your USB drive, make it a bootable device, and then install the necessary files. Both do the same job, it's just up to you which you choose, or which you have available (whether it's CD or USB).

How Memtest works:

Memtest86 writes a series of test patterns to most memory addresses, reads back the data written, and compares it for errors.

The default pass does 9 different tests, varying in access patterns and test data. A tenth test, bit fade, is selectable from the menu. It writes all memory with zeroes, then sleeps for 90 minutes before checking to see if bits have changed (perhaps because of refresh problems). This is repeated with all ones for a total time of 3 hours per pass.

Many chipsets can report RAM speeds and timings via SPD (Serial Presence Detect) or EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles), and some even support changing the expected memory speed. If the expected memory speed is overclocked, Memtest86 can test that memory performance is error-free with these faster settings.

Some hardware is able to report the "PAT status" (PAT: enabled or PAT: disabled). This is a reference to Intel Performance acceleration technology; there may be BIOS settings which affect this aspect of memory timing.

This information, if available to the program, can be displayed via a menu option.

Any other questions, they can most likely be answered by reading this great guide here:

https://forum.canardpc.com/threads/28864-FAQ-please-read-before-posting

Run it for at least 7-8 passes, this will take multiple hours.. so run before sleep or work.

Regards,

Patrick
Closed Thread