User Tag List

Random BSOD

This is a discussion on Random BSOD within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. No problem, keep us posted

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #61
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

No problem, keep us posted

Old 07-25-2011, 03:21 AM   #62
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by droo View Post
I let it go to 98% of pass 2 before i got out of it. No errors. Which means my problems don't lie with the ram?
Any other suggestions?
passing memtest does not mean your ram is neccesarily ok

to quote since windows 95 Microsoft have stated about memory testing programs
Quote:
Defective memory chips may not be detected by memory checking tools. Some memory checking programs are not adequate tests because they do not test RAM in the same way that Windows uses RAM. Most memory checkers use read/write cycles when scanning memory. Since Windows is executing code from memory, it uses execute cycles. Execute cycles are different from read/write cycles and are more vulnerable to parity errors. It is possible for memory checking programs to find parity errors if the memory is extremely faulty.
To test your memory I get consistent results by burning to CD (using an ISO burner) & running from boot memtest86+ for at least 5 passes and moving the sticks between slots running them together and singly to verify motherboard ram slots work as well as each ram stick.

for more detail read this FAQ for using Memtest86+

ram explained at Super Talent innerTools

Sysprep only takes about 5 minutes to run and is a suprisingly under used tool that is great at giving a clean slate to work with ?

This is also the beauty of a fresh install as it minimizes the chance that you have a bad driver causing crashes and helps identify hardware issues ?

It's always difficult to diagnose from a distance but my intuition is telling me you are experiencing all the symptoms of a hardware fault ?

next step I suggest make sure your bios is up to date then run your system with only one stick of ram and try to create a crash

the simpler your software environment is the easier it will be to identify your cause
Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #63

Icky, the only reason I disagree a liittle is this. I really don't think RAM is the issue because of the circumstances (swapping mobos) and the consistency of the recent dumps. The last 4 crashes were from the amdppm.sys driver. Before that, a few of them were for the network card drive. IMO, I think it's driver related.

I'd suspect if the RAM was an issue it would be related more towards voltage, timings etc. Though it's always possible to get a new, bad stick. Even if chip creep was the cause, I've rarely ever seen Memtest take more than 15 mins to show an error. Though that's all just my opinion since it ain't fixed yet!

Old 07-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #64
Registered Member

well I've tried doing a few things to push my computer's limits like playing multiple video games at the same time, playing music, having multiple browser windows open.
Since the BSOD issues were random from the beginning this isn't the best way to go about getting another one but it's showing me other problems, such as:
I have VIA HD Audio Deck installed for sound, and for some reason it's constantly switching between the Headphones or Microphone input and the Center/LFE speakers, causing the sound to stop playing for a few seconds while it decides which one it wants to use. Note that I do NOT have any headphones or mic plugged in but I do have front inputs for both headphone/mic and back.
I'm assuming then that with all these driver updates something isn't recognizing correctly and trying to use both at the same time. I figured I'd put it in here since you all are aware enough of my problems that I don't have to rehash everything, but if you'd rather I create a new thread in another forum for this I can.
It shouldn't be a complicated fix but my brain is so fried from dealing with everything else I've exhausted all efforts besides messing with drivers again, because we all know where that got me! hah. It just seems like I'm overlooking some simple option and was hoping someone with fresh eyes could see it and say "OH! you just forgot to set this to such and such!"
Old 07-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #65

Droo, the big issue is whether it crashes or not! For the Sound problem, Click the Start button and type Sound in the search box. Then select Sound listed under Control Panel. On the Playback and Recording tabs click the properties and set the defaults as you want them - e.g. speakers vs headphones, etc. If you have more than 1 sound card installed, I would disable the one you don't want to use. You can also disable the xtra sound card through Device Manager.

You may have to change an option in your games to select the sound card you want to use. It might be listed under something like Preferences or Options.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #66
Registered Member

Fred, I agree! I'm going to wait at least 2 weeks and multiple shut downs and restarts before I decide that no BSODs are going to happen again.
As for the sound, under playback I have two options:
Speakers (VIA High Definition Audio) Default Device, and HD Audio HDMI out (VIA High Definition Audio). Disabling the HD Audio HDMI out does nothing, nor does it do anything sitting there enabled at the same time.
However, Disabling the Speakers and enabling the HD Audio HDMI out *shows* that something is playing from the bar on the right but no sound comes out, and I can't get anything more than 2 channels in the configuration out of it.
In Device Manager, it only lists VIA High Definition Audio under Sound etc and all drivers are listed as up to date.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #67

I thought you meant you had 2 different sound cards installed... No need to disable anything. Speakers should have a green check mark next to them to set as the default. Go into Sound and click Configure in the lower left and follow the steps. Make sure all speakers are in the correct ports - look at the manual or download it from the previous MSI link if you're not positive. Double check the preferences in your games. Test by playing an MP3 in media player and see how you make out..
Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #68
Registered Member

Yea, all configurations are set, except for when I actually start playing something, that's when it decides to switch back and forth between center/lfe and microphone/headset(meaning, sometimes it's the mic, sometimes it's the headset, not that the two are the same port). That's when it cuts off my sound while it's trying to figure it out. Music keeps on playing.
I think this computer just has a mind of its own...
Old 07-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #69

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. You could try downloading the (3 I think) drivers again off MSIs site. Save them, uninstall your existing drivers in Device Mgr and reboot. If that doesn't do it, start a new post in the Sound Card Forum and describe the problem. See if anyone else has any ideas.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:35 AM   #70
Registered Member

Ok, I checked your dump files. Agree with others that its the amdppm.sys file. Now I am not clear whether you are getting any more BSODs or not ??
I get that you have a sound problem, but are there any more BSODs ?
Old 07-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #71
Registered Member

Fred, thank you! I will do that soon.
agnivade, I'm not getting any BSODs YET. It's only been a couple of days and the BSODs were random before, I could go anywhere from a couple hours to a week or more in between them. I also haven't shut down and cold started my system yet. I'm currently trying to get my external HD restored so I can back up first before I try that, if indeed it does have to system restore on me.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #72
Registered Member

okay, first BSOD today. restarted my computer, left for errands. came back to BSOD. here is the dmp file.
someone else suggested I might be having problems because of the hard drive. is that a possibility or is it still showing it's the motherboard?
Thanks for any help!
Attached Files
File Type: zip 073011-18330-01.zip (24.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #73
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi -

Microsoft processor driver listed as probable cause -
Code:
amdppm.sys   Mon Jul 13 19:19:25 2009 (4A5BC0FD)
http://sysnative.com/0x1/DriverReference.html#amdppm.sys

Dump listed exception 0xc000001d = illegal program instruction, e.g., division by zero -
Code:
EXCEPTION_RECORD:  fffff880033fd8c8 -- (.exr 0xfffff880033fd8c8)
.exr 0xfffff880033fd8c8
ExceptionAddress: fffff800034e6c44 (nt!KiSecondaryClockInterrupt+0x0000000000000034)
 ExceptionCode: c000001d (Illegal instruction)
ExceptionFlags: 00000000
NumberParameters: 0
Clock Interrupt refers to CPU.

I don't see reference to HDD in the dump, but likely cause = unknown hardware failure.

Remove Daemon Tools/ Alcohol 120. It is not helping you here.

You can run Driver Verifier - see if it flags any 3rd party drivers.

Driver Verifier - Windows 7 & Vista (BSOD-related)

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

BSOD SUMMARY
Code:
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\PalmDesert\_jcgriff2_\dbug\__Kernel__\073011-18330-01.dmp]
Built by: 7601.17592.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.110408-1631
Debug session time: Sat Jul 30 19:00:31.794 2011 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:16:00.074
Probably caused by : amdppm.sys ( amdppm!C1Halt+2 )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x1E
PROCESS_NAME:  System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x1E_amdppm!C1Halt+2
Bugcheck code 0000001E
Arguments 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000
BiosVersion = V10.8
BiosReleaseDate = 03/03/2011
SystemManufacturer = MSI
SystemProductName = MS-7599
จจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจ``  
Old 07-31-2011, 04:02 AM   #74
Registered Member

hey jcgriff2, thanks a bunch for getting back to me so quickly.
I couldn't remove alcohol, "setup is unable to validate installation" popped up when i tried to uninstall.. and I couldn't even find daemon tools.
I'll run verifier again, I thought I was already running it but maybe I disabled it.
If the cause is unknown hardware failure, how do I figure out which piece of hardware failed and replace it?
Old 07-31-2011, 05:21 AM   #75
Registered Member

well, I ran verifier and upon restart it immediately blue screened. I had to restart and system restore to get back to my desktop again, only to find there was no minidump file for the latest BSOD.
I repeated this process of running verifier and having it BSOD me and system restoring several times to find out NO minidump files were being generated at all for any time this happened.
I'm not sure what I did or didn't do. The only thing I can think of is this time when it BSOD on me it didn't have the text at the end of how it was purging or w/e to 100%.. just the error code (STOP 0x0011000 etc) and then a blank space.
Another thing I was thinking about was that when I fried my motherboard I was ripping dvds back to back to my computer and it just shut down on me. However, I never replaced the dvd drive itself. Do you think that could be the hardware failure in question? Would it cause my computer to BSOD if it was just that? I replaced everything else aside from the graphics card and hard drive, so those are the only 3 things that are older than may.
Thanks again for any help.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:08 AM   #76
Registered Member

My System

disconnect the Drive and try again to get a bluescreen ?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #77
Registered Member

hey ickymay, I will try that this weekend. I woke up this morning to another BSOD and this message was new:
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
I looked it up and it brought me here:
Bug Check 0x3B: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Just the other night I was talking about this problem with my friend and she suggested the possibility that my geforce 9600 card could be malfunctioning with the amd motherboard because they usually like ati graphics cards. this new BSOD made me think about this more since it says "This error has been linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code."
What do you guys think? If I need to get a new graphics card I will, but want to make sure that this is a high possibility, since jcgriff said "unknown hardware failure"...
Thanks for keeping up with this!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #78

Droo, post the new minidump if you get a chance. I was going to suggest running Prime95 and stress out the cpu, but wanted to see if JCGriffs suggestion did anything. I can't see just randomly replacing parts, IMO.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #79
Registered Member

Hi Fred, last time I tried verifier I couldn't get any minidumps out of it.. I'll try again.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #80
Registered Member

Here's the one I woke up to this morning, not with verifier on though.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 080311-22464-01.zip (31.6 KB, 21 views)
Closed Thread