Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Programs Running Very Slow [moved from Vista/7]

This is a discussion on Programs Running Very Slow [moved from Vista/7] within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm coming here because I can't seem to find any help in any other forums. This is the deal. About

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm coming here because I can't seem to find any help in any other forums.

This is the deal. About two weeks ago my video card died in the middle of booting up my system. I brought it in to a local repair place to get checked, and while they were booting it up with another video card, the system asked if I wanted to run system restore to fix startup problems. The repairman there ran it even though I told him not to. As a result, my Vista was reverted back to service pack 1 for some reason.

Anyway, I installed the new video card (an Nvidia GTS 450). I did all my research on whether or not my system could handle the card and it can. I have a 400W power supply and a motherboard that can handle it too. So I uninstalled all the previous Nvidia drivers with driver sweeper, cleaned my registry with Ccleaner and Auslogics registry cleaner, and installed the new drivers and chipset drivers.

Unfortunatley, after all that my computer is slogging for some reason. Programs are just running slow, specifically web browsers. Programs take up a ludicrous amount of CPU while booting up, and while running, things like internet explorer or firefox easily take up 25 percent CPU or more. Not to mention programs simply boot up slow too.

I've tried everything. I've uninstalled and reinstalled all these programs

Adobe Flash Player
Microsoft .Net framework
Microsoft C++ packages
Java

I've also upgraded to service pack 2 again and ran all the windows updates but it's just making my computer slower.

My computer is out of warranty and doesn't have a working DVD drive so I can't even re-format it if I want. Can someone please help? My computer has NEVER had problems with stuff like this before. It always ran very smoothly.

I have a 2.5 GHZ pentium quad processor. 4GB of ram, and as I said before I am running windows vista. Can someone please help me, I'm about to give up all hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

Please someone? Anyone? Help?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Visiting BSOD Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Do they use more than expected CPU all the time after they start, aka during use? If so, it might be worth using task manager to dump the process and upload the resulting .dmp file for analysis. Something MS (like IE) is preferable simply for symbol server access when debugging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

Well, the funny thing is its always a random program. Actually, I swapped around my ram and different programs are having different problems. Now Trillian is having an issue. Do you think something might be up with my ram?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:21 AM   #5
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Run memtest86+ - https://www.techsupportforum.com/2863029-post5.html

If you want to reinstall Vista, use the HDD recovery partition or contact the system manufacturer and purchase replacement recovery discs (You'll need to get the DVD drive fixed).
Closed Thread