Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

PC freezes randomly.

This is a discussion on PC freezes randomly. within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys , for a few months now i have been getting these randomly freezes and they keep increasing in

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys , for a few months now i have been getting these randomly freezes and they keep increasing in numbers .

SOmetimes a day can pass without any problems and i normally get 3 pc freezes daily so i have to restart the Pc.
It froze when playing games,watching movies,browsing etc. then While Trying to format the Pc. So i couldnt even format. Got to the Set region settings and it just froze.

I am also having troubles booting the pc, today i had to turn the pc on for like 6 times and sometimes it freezes in the Win7 loading screen, so completly random.

My PC is like 7 years old and only the Gpu and Psu are bought this year, i also read the Battery needs to get changed every 3 years and that could be the cause ? never changed it

This is my pc:
Cpu: Intel Pentium Dual CPu E2180 2.0Ghz
4Gb ram
Gtx 460 760mb
Psu Seasonic 520W Bronze.
Win7 32bit.
775 Socket Mobo 945GCM-S2L GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-945GCM-S2L (rev. 1.0)

I wanted to re seat the gpu but the gpu is so big i cant reach the thing bellow it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 03:12 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi,

Possible memory issues, especially since you mentioned it happened even when going to perform a clean install.

Memtest86+:

Quote:
Download Memtest86+ here:
Quote:

https://www.memtest.org/

Which should I download?

You can either download the pre-compiled ISO that you would burn to a CD and then boot from the CD, or you can download the auto-installer for the USB key. What this will do is format your USB drive, make it a bootable device, and then install the necessary files. Both do the same job, it's just up to you which you choose, or which you have available (whether it's CD or USB).

How Memtest works:

Memtest86 writes a series of test patterns to most memory addresses, reads back the data written, and compares it for errors.

The default pass does 9 different tests, varying in access patterns and test data. A tenth test, bit fade, is selectable from the menu. It writes all memory with zeroes, then sleeps for 90 minutes before checking to see if bits have changed (perhaps because of refresh problems). This is repeated with all ones for a total time of 3 hours per pass.

Many chipsets can report RAM speeds and timings via SPD (Serial Presence Detect) or EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles), and some even support changing the expected memory speed. If the expected memory speed is overclocked, Memtest86 can test that memory performance is error-free with these faster settings.

Some hardware is able to report the "PAT status" (PAT: enabled or PAT: disabled). This is a reference to Intel Performance acceleration technology; there may be BIOS settings which affect this aspect of memory timing.

This information, if available to the program, can be displayed via a menu option.

Any other questions, they can most likely be answered by reading this great guide here:

https://forum.canardpc.com/threads/28864-FAQ-please-read-before-posting

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi there, thx for the reply.

Since i have 2ram sticks 2+2GB wouldnt it be easier if i removed 1ram stick and continued using the pc with 1stick ? , if the pc doesnt freeze for days then its the other sticks issue , or are you talking about some other Memory .

I think its way easier to replace ram sticks than to do those memory tests.

Also i could run the memtest but 3hours is so long , dont know what i could do in the meantime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi again , i went to the Nvidia site and it seems that everyone with the gtx 460 and the 320+ drivers are having the same problems.

DOes anyone know anything about this ? i read about a driver that is ruining Gpu, i think all my problems started when i downloaded the newest drivers.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi,

If you don't want to do the tests, you could replace the memory, but if it's not a memory issue that would be a waste of time and money unless you want new RAM anyway.

If you are already on the latest video card drivers, uninstall and install a version or a few versions behind the latest to ensure it's not a latest driver only issue.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJB View Post
Hi,

If you don't want to do the tests, you could replace the memory, but if it's not a memory issue that would be a waste of time and money unless you want new RAM anyway.

If you are already on the latest video card drivers, uninstall and install a version or a few versions behind the latest to ensure it's not a latest driver only issue.

Regards,

Patrick
I think you didnt get what i said, i dont want to buy new Ram , if its memory related i could just use 1 Ram stick and remove the other and if i get no freezes, it would mean that the other ram stick is not working.

I did the complete clean unistall of old drivers , using 314.22 now but i even tried using the drivers that came with the Gpu ,so Far no freezes but i ocasionaly get 3seconds black screens, i think its the Kerner mode has stoped working refresh thingy.

I am gonna do a bit more research so i think its a good thing it could be driver related.
Closed Thread