Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

No display on monitor, but PC is on (after crash)

This is a discussion on No display on monitor, but PC is on (after crash) within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was gaming earlier and all of a sudden my PC crashed and my monitor got the 'no display' message.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:29 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I was gaming earlier and all of a sudden my PC crashed and my monitor got the 'no display' message. I restarted the PC and it all turns on fine, but there is still no display on the monitor. I've tried all of the following with no luck:

- Reseated everything.

- Removed mono CMOS battery for 10 minutes and replaced it, which I read resets the BIOS and could fix the issue.

- Left it all unplugged overnight and tried again.

- Used a different HDMI cable and attached it to a different monitor.

NONE of this has made any difference. The PC still turns on, lights up, fans working etc, but there is no display on the monitor.

This has actually happened a few times in the past (albeit not recently) and removing the CMOS battery and replacing it fixed the issue every time, but not this time.

What else can I try? It sounds stupid but my whole life is on my PC. Music, movies, work, video games, workout routines, family photos, etc. I can't even take it to a PC repair shop due to this coronavirus.

By the way, I just noticed that the PSU fan isn't spinning at all, even if only for a split second when booting on. Could my PSU be broken and need replacing? Could that be what's causing the PC to boot but not display to monitor? If the PSU is broken though, why would my PC turn on at all, yet not display anything to the monitor?

Oh and I also noticed that all the paste on my CPU is non existent, yet as mentioned above with the PSU I can't see how that would cause the PC to turn on at all, yet not display anything on the monitor.

PC specs are as follows:

OS - Windows 10 Home (64 bit)

CPU - Intel Core i5 9600k

Video Card - Nvidia GTX 970

Ram - 16gb ddr4

Power supply - G7 power extreme 780w
Vanchatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Bump.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Motherboard?
Does it have integrated video?
If it does pull the video card and test using the integrated.
Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Hi Wrench. The motherboard has an HDMI slot on it, so I assume it has integrated graphics. I tried to use them, with the graphics card not in at the time, and I still had no display.

I actually purchased a new motherboard earlier and also a new PSU from Amazon, as I hadn't seen any replies and need my PC working again as soon as possible. I don't even know if that will fix the issue, so maybe I've just wasted my money. Gotta wait for them to arrive still though. I did take the CPU out and it seemed that 1-2 of the pins on the motherboard seemed bent, but I couldn't be certain.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:18 PM   #5
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Anytime you remove the CPU cooler you need to clean off and redo the thermal paste, removing and reinstalling will cause air to be trapped and act as a insulator the opposite of it's purpose.

Bent pins will not happen while the unit is in use only during assembly/disassembly.

Does the pc make any sounds during the boot process? Did it ever make sounds booting?
Old 04-02-2020, 04:23 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench97 View Post
Anytime you remove the CPU cooler you need to clean off and redo the thermal paste, removing and reinstalling will cause air to be trapped and act as a insulator the opposite of it's purpose.

Bent pins will not happen while the unit is in use only during assembly/disassembly.

Does the pc make any sounds during the boot process? Did it ever make sounds booting?
My PC has never made a sound when booting, no. I was unaware that I had to replace the paste every time I remove the cooler. I have removed it a couple of times over th past few months in order to clear the dust that had built up. I must admit though that when replacing the cooler the last time I had to force it onto the motherboard quite hard. Stupid, I know, and is 100% my fault. If you can give me a few minutes I'll take a photo of the pins and you can see if they're bent or not.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:38 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

I just ran my finger over the pins very slightly and there are definitely a few sticking up which feel different to the others. I'm not sure if you can see in the photos though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200403_003139_1585870610572.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	325442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200403_003305_1585870621984.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	325444  
Old 04-02-2020, 11:56 PM   #8
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

There are coupe that look strange but it's hard to tell from the pictures.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:21 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

I just received my motherboard and power supply. I've installed them and now have a new issue. This is an absolute nightmare at the moment so I'd REALLY appreciate some help.

When turning the PC on now, it lights up for 2 seconds and then turns off. There is an 'EZ debug' row of lights on the motherboard, and the CPU light lights up for a split second and then turns off. Is it a CPU issue?
Old 04-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #10
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

What motherboard make and model?
Do you know what bios version is on the new board?
Old 04-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench97 View Post
What motherboard make and model?
Do you know what bios version is on the new board?
Motherboard is msi H310M PRO-VDH PLUS. No idea what the bios version is as I can't even get that far.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:42 PM   #12
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

I haven't used a MSI board in quite some time but sometimes there is a sticker on the board or the box it came in.

There are 2 i5 9600K stepping PO and RO the older PO needs at least 7C09-V10 and the newer RO needs at least 7C09-V12

Name:	msi.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	325464

The wrong bios is only a possibility at this point, the CPU debug LED means either the cpu is not recognized(IE bios lower then v12) or possibly it's not seated correctly.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Here is the sticker on the side of the box. Not sure if it's the right BIOS, but you can probably tell. Even if it's the wrong BIOS though, how can I change it with the PC not booting and not being able to get into the BIOS? I'm almost 99% sure the CPU was seated correctly though. It's something I take great care of when placing it into the motherboard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200404_233318_1586039737305.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	325466  
Old 04-04-2020, 04:33 PM   #14
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

I'd bet the 911-7C09-010 means it's a 7C09-V10 bios.
Do you know which stepping your CPU is(it should be printed on the top of the CPU).
There is no way you can update the bios without it booting it either has to be done by using a compatible CPU or through a serial port cable by the OEM.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

Im actually unable to check at the moment as I found a PC repair person earlier today who is kindly taking PCs at his house and fixing them there. According to Wiki the core stepping on a 9600K is PO, but you said it can be PO or RO so I'm not sure how reliable that site is. I've given the PC technician the link to this thread anyway, as it may help to shed some insight into what I've tried and what the problem was originally. I guess if the issue is the wrong BIOS version, I just have to hope the technician I left it with has a spare CPU to use as a way of updating the BIOS to the correct version.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:26 AM   #16
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

From the Intel site the top 3 are PO the bottom 3 RO > https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-4-60-ghz.html

However from this Forbes article it may not matter as it should still boot> https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyl.../#1cc08229127d
Old 04-07-2020, 07:10 PM   #17
Registered Member

Been working on a similar issue for a couple of weeks now. I bought another CPU for my issue and it didn't change anything. I replaced the memory, didn't change anything. So, if I see the same issue, changing all that I can change, I go with the one common denominator..., the mobo. And since I wouldn't give one of George Washington's wooden teeth for a used board. So I'm starting all over again..., and I mean ALL OVER again. Everything in the cabinet comes out. I even test the USB cables when I can. There things are getting to be insane to figure out, unless you are a total geek! Which I am almost not....
djbillyd is offline   Reply With Quote