Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Multiple BSOD’s, custom build, previously fully stable

This is a discussion on Multiple BSOD’s, custom build, previously fully stable within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello folks. Let me start by saying, this is a custom build. Specs are below. Win10 Pro 64GB RAM (2

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 07:51 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello folks. Let me start by saying, this is a custom build. Specs are below.

Win10 Pro
64GB RAM (2 new sticks just added this past Saturday 3/23, not sure if this is part of my issue)
Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
ASUS Maximus IX Formula mobo
525GB M.2 is my boot/system drive

I built this about a year ago (3/2018). It’s been solid/stable up until this past Sunday night. Saturday I added 32GB of ram, for a total of 64 now. It ran all weekend without issue. Monday night, I get a notification from the Nvidia Geforce app saying there’s a new driver update, (419.67, dated 3/25, so, brand new). During the install, I get a BSOD with a “CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT” error. My CPU was overclocked and has run stable like that since I built the machine. So I don’t think there’s an issue there, but I know the Watchdog error is supposedly CPU-related. So I hit BIOS, remove/reverse the o/c, default BIOS, and still get a BSOD loop. I attempt to restore Windows to a few days prior, but every time I restart I get the “attempting repairs” message and then the “Windows could not repair your computer” blue screen, which seems like it is not trying to boot from the restore from a few days ago. At this point, I’m assuming it’s the Nvidia driver that killed the system. I cannot get into safe mode. So I physically take the Nvidia card out of the PC and connect to the onboard video, in an attempt to get into Windows, remove all Nvidia remnants, then install the graphics card again and download fresh drivers. I still get BSOD’s, and could not get into Windows. The bootrec command line stuff doesn’t work, the /fixboot command gives me “Access Denied”, so I didn’t even really get anywhere with that. System restore doesn’t work, Windows repair utility doesn’t work, nothing works. So I figure I’ll just lose my data and reinstall Windows. I make a new Media Creation Tool USB stick via my laptop, I boot from it, delete the drive that Windows in installed on (again, the M.2), and reinstall. The first thing I do after I’m on the desktop, is try to update Nvidia drivers. My thinking is, IF this actually was the culprit, and I try to install the update again and it crashes again, at least this time I have literally no files to lose. So I attempt to update Nvidia drivers. BSOD! Again, I’m in an endless BSOD loop. I again reinstall Windows after deleting the system drive (from that “Where Do You Want To Install Windows?” menu). I get random BSOD’s (a couple different error messages). After this install, I’m in Windows but have not installed or updated anything. I get super frustrated and go to bed. I’m at work right now so I won’t be able to do anything with it until tonight, but I’m hoping some of you can help me save my sanity and maybe give me ideas of things to try. So far, my “To Do” list looks like this:

-Remove new ram sticks.
-Monitor stability
-Disconnect PC from internet and install all drivers, chipset, etc, from original motherboard PC in an attempt to gain stability, before going online to update anything.
-Cry

Please help? Please? I am baffled by this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

I got it fixed. Nevermind!
Old 03-28-2019, 07:11 AM   #3
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

What was the fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 07:20 AM   #4
Registered Member

The ram I had just bought seems to be bad/defective. I ran MemTest86 on both sticks and got back multiple errors. I took them out and put in just the original ram I had and no errors. And has been running smoothly since. I’m able to restart/shut down without issue, the Nvidia driver that I thought may have been the culprit installed right away, also without issue, since I fixed the issue. I’m at work now but at home, I currently have MemTest running one more time on my original ram JUST to be sure I’m in the clear as far as that goes, but I’m confident that I’m okay now.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:32 AM   #5
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Thank you.

I thought it may be the RAM.

The NVIDIA crashes made no sense at all to me even if you got 0x116 bugchecks.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:42 AM   #6
Registered Member

Had I thought of the Ram in the first place, I probably could’ve removed it and not had to reformat/reinstall at all. But I learned from it. Another friend of mine is also now having issues after he installed the newest Nvidia update, which now seems strange knowing that was not my issue, but what a coincidence.
Closed Thread