Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Laptop recently freezing frequently

This is a discussion on Laptop recently freezing frequently within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey TSF, My laptop (an alienware m14x R1) is about a year and a half old, and it has performed

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey TSF,
My laptop (an alienware m14x R1) is about a year and a half old, and it has performed well without many issues since I first purchased it. However, recently, the laptop will suddenly freeze up, not responding to any input, or updating the screen (which just sits as though completely frozen), or going to sleep when the power button is pressed / screen is closed. This appears to happen completely at random, and the only thing I can do when it does happen is force shutdown the machine by holding the power button, and then start it back up. I have coretemp running at all times, and heat is definitely not causing this issue, as it has happened multiple times while the machine was at idle temps. The windows event log does not provide any hints as to the nature of these lockups, telling me only that "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." This first began consistently happening on October 18th (last Friday), you can see the pattern of crashes in the screenshot below. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with 8 gbs of ram. None of the parts were recently replaced. I don't recall installing any programs recently or downloading any files that should be causing something like this to happen (the last time I installed a program was on 10/9/13, and doesn't appear to correspond to these crashes). Furthermore, when I was typing up this post, the computer froze up and needed to be restarted again, marking the 3rd occurrence today (I took a picture with my camera before restarting the machine and attached it as well). I started in safemode with networking this time to see if the computer would still freeze up, however I will have to return to normal mode shortly as I cannot run OneNote while in safemode, and not being able to access my notes is not an option right now. Anyway, I have never had this issue with a machine before, and because it is not BSODing I don't even know where to start looking for the solution. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Registered Member

My computer has been crashing a lot more frequently over the last couple of days. It has also crashed while running in safemode, and even while running fedora on a separate partition on the same hard drive as windows. I'm guessing this means it is a hardware error, as if it was software related I don't think the problem would be both in windows and in fedora. I have backed up all of my data, and I now need to figure out what part is causing my computer to freeze and require a restart seemingly at random.
Closed Thread