Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

HP Laptop keeps freezing unless I tilt it at an angle

This is a discussion on HP Laptop keeps freezing unless I tilt it at an angle within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My HP Pavilion TS Sleekbook 15 has continued to freeze every few seconds (and sometimes remain stuck until I have

Old 01-16-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

My HP Pavilion TS Sleekbook 15 has continued to freeze every few seconds (and sometimes remain stuck until I have to force shutdown) UNLESS I tilt it at an odd angle, which is a bizarre temporary solution I serendipitously found. I've just about done everything from updating drivers to running the HP Hardware Diagnostics test but it keeps happening. Every time I force shutdown, it never boots up when I try to turn on the computer and gets stuck at the initial loading screen, and once I force shutdown on that screen, the computer starts checking for ways to repair itself by suggesting me to either do a system refresh or reset (neither of which I can do since I no longer have the info regarding my laptop to complete them). The additional troubleshooting options led me to pick an old backup system image to open which worked twice or three times when this happened but that's no longer possible now for some reason. I checked Task Manager to see if there are any programs running in the background that's disruptive but there isn't any and Task Manager starts freezing up too. I'm at my wit's end here. So somebody, please help!
SpacemanJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 11:34 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team

The "unless I tilt it at an odd angle" very strongly suggests some sort of hardware issue related to an electrical connection may be at play. If that's the case, and I can't be 100% sure it is, then you'd have to get it diagnosed and repaired.

If this is a Windows 10 machine, see my post Windows 10 “Revival” Script for When You’re Experiencing Issues on Sysnative. I'm also fairly certain I've posted his on TSF, too, but don't have the link to it handy.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
Registered Member

The laptop doesn't use a battery and is always connected via adapter via extension cable to the main electrical power source and it uses Windows 8.1 Single Language. It's around 5-6 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

BUMPing
Old 01-17-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanJoe View Post
BUMPing
I've got nothing more. The primary symptom suggests a hardware issue with an electrical connection of some kind or, less possibly, the HDD. Physically tilting the device making it stop having the issue is the dead giveaway.

There's a pretty wide range of possibilities ranging from a fractured solder joint, a poorly connected ribbon cable where the ZIF connector somehow came open, and the list goes on and on.

Depending on how expensive the device was when purchased, you could very easily spend more than a new computer (likely of better specs by now) would cost trying to chase this down. If it was an inexpensive laptop then 5-6 years is a reasonable functional lifespan.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:39 AM   #6
Registered Member

Alright. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

I've seen this before also, best to get a repair shop to open up and diagnose the electrical connection.
metawebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:25 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

I had an old Compaq do something similar. Tried everything I could think of, but since it was a spare, I just gave up and tucked it away on a shelf. A few years later, I dug it out and messed with it again looking to see if I could salvage any parts. Opened the cover for the RAM and found one stick partially loose. Reseated it, connected the power brick, pushed the button and it booted normally. Been working fine ever since.
Confounded Also is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:48 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confounded Also View Post
I had an old Compaq do something similar. Tried everything I could think of, but since it was a spare, I just gave up and tucked it away on a shelf. A few years later, I dug it out and messed with it again looking to see if I could salvage any parts. Opened the cover for the RAM and found one stick partially loose. Reseated it, connected the power brick, pushed the button and it booted normally. Been working fine ever since.
Yeah, something like this could be the issue too. Since I don't want to mess anything up tinkering, I'll probably go take it to a service centre and let them check.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:20 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanJoe View Post
Yeah, something like this could be the issue too. Since I don't want to mess anything up tinkering, I'll probably go take it to a service centre and let them check.
Either take it to a service center and pay the exorbitant fees or see if one of your friends or relatives who are computer tech savvy can take a look at it.

I am great at doing things like this and some of my friends have had issues with their laptops/computers, but they never asked or said anything to indicate they had an issue. They either ended up paying to have it fixed or threw the laptop out.

A friend, who knew I was good with this stuff, asked me one day to take a look at his son's laptop which wouldn't even start up. I did and suggested a few things but nothing worked. I told him I could take a better look at it when I get the chance but it could take some time. He said no but ended up selling me the laptop for $30! All it needed was a new I/O board and ribbon cable which cost me about another $30. I also upgraded the wifi/bluetooth for about $25. So all in all I only paid about $85 for a $600 laptop...lol.

If he would have went to a service center his bill would have been upwards of $200.
Madmaxneo is offline   Reply With Quote