Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Games crash to black screen between 30 seconds - 10 minutes.

This is a discussion on Games crash to black screen between 30 seconds - 10 minutes. within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Here's what's going on, let me know if you need more information from me. I'm running Bootcamp on a mid-2010

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

Here's what's going on, let me know if you need more information from me.

I'm running Bootcamp on a mid-2010 15" macbook pro (MacBookPro6,2 - the one with the 2.66 i7 cpu). It has a Geforce 330m GPU. I've been playing fairly graphic intensive games on it since I first bought it (bioshock games, fallout 3, gta4, etc).

Recently, I'd been playing Fallout: New Vegas. I got through about 30 hours of New Vegas fine, then it started to occasionally crash to a black screen, the audio would loop and I would have to manually reboot. Usually this would happen within 10 seconds of loading up a save. It happened rarely enough, though that I was able to play another 40 hours without too much frustration, occasionally have to deal with the crash. This usually seemed to happen after waking the computer up from sleeping and would be fixed with one reboot.

Then I got Mass effect, and started seeing this same crash (black screen, looped audio, manual reboot required). So i fired up New Vegas to compare the crashes and see what was going on and I found that New Vegas now consistently crashes in under 5 minutes (usually in under 1).

Every once in a while, windows will recover (the game itself would crash but I wouldn't need to reboot) and I'd get a message about a display driver not responding and then being repaired or something of that nature. It would show up and disappear so I don't have the exact message. My reliability monitor gave me this:

Source
Windows

Summary
Video hardware error

Date
‎7/‎15/‎2012 4:01 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: FFFFFA80070B9010
BCP2: FFFFF8800F3C74D4
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1
Bucket ID: X64_0x117_Tdr:2_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys
Server information: 1b120531-6191-48db-bc96-a4aec3365d0d

So I've tried a bunch of things.

- I manually set my fans to the full 6000 rpms and monitored my gpu temp and many times that it crashed it was <70C.
- I ran the game in Windowed Mode, watched it get the gpu up to about 84C, level out, and play on fine for about half an hour.
- I booted into OSX and played Amnesia on high settings for an hour, no problems.
- I stress tested with FurMark windowed AND fullscreen and got the GPU up to 89C (but only for about 30 seconds until it dropped down to 84C and leveled out again). No crashes for 10 minutes.
- Updated the drivers to the newest ones and also ran Driver Fusion to remove remnants of old drivers. Windows would automatically put some other nvidia drivers on whenever I rebooted, however, so I'm not sure if I was ever able to FULLY remove ALL the NVIDIA drivers.
- Tried the games with the automatic drivers as well as the newest drivers, both still crashed.
- Uninstalled and reinstalled the game. Still crashing.
- Uninstalled Mass effect completely (since this was when the problems seemed to get worse)

Couple things that seem important to me to note:

1. Windowed Mode seems to work fine. Pretty peculiar because its running the same resolution (1280x800) and shouldn't be easier on the GPU, correct?
2. OSX side has no problems. Doesn't seem hardware related.
3. DXDiag says my directx version is 11 but my GPU can only handle 10.1. Maybe this is significant?
4. Apple won't help me because I can't show a problem in OSX. I'm pretty on my own for any bootcamp issues.

Anything else you need to know, just let me know, I'm willing to try just about anything. Thanks so much if you've made it this far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Registered Member

I also just tried benchmarking with 3dmark vantage since FurMark is only OpenGL and I wanted to see if it was a DirectX issue. Got through the benchmarks fine.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

Just ran the driver verifier following the instructions on this forum and definitely BSOD'd. Checked the minidump and there were no new files? just 3 files from months ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Support Visiting Expert
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to zigzag3143

Quote:
"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception".

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OS's like XP to crash.

As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds.

If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.

Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU.

Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference.

If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.

I would download cpu-z and gpu-z (both free) and keep an eye on the video temps

Team ZigZag3143
MS-MVP Consumer Expert 2010-2016
MCC 2013-2016
Wanikiya & Dyami

Old 07-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Registered Member

I'm not really sure what to make of this beyond the suggestion that it could be a temp issue but I feel like I've done a lot to make sure it wasn't a simple overheating issue. It crashes pretty consistently in the game regardless of the temp.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Get us some more DMPs and we will have a pattern to follow.

Team ZigZag3143
MCC 2013-2016
Wanikiya & Dyami

Old 07-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Registered Member

I just did a clean install to the windows 8 release preview and put the bootcamp drivers back on. Then I installed steam and New Vegas again. First time I fired it up, no problem, thought I might be outta the woods. Second time I wasn't as lucky. Third time it crashed on the menu, which I've never seen it do before. Fourth time, no problems. so right now 50% seems better (before, it would work once out of every 15-20 tries but I'll have to spend some more time on it to see if there is any improvement.

This is the my Windows/minidump folder from BEFORE I did the clean install. It says they weren't updated any later than January so if I'm looking in the wrong place, I apologize. I currently have no minidump folder on windows 8.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Minidump.zip (201.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 07-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Yep, those are useless because of the date. If you are using a Ccleaner type app stop until this is fixed.

We do need the DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

If you are overclocking STOP

You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.

Please follow these instructions to collect data from the crashes and upload them here, to your Skydrive or a file sharing service like Rapidshare.

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions - Windows 8, 7 & Vista

https://sysnative.com/0x8/BSOD_Window..._jcgriff2_.exe

To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:

* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the contents of that folder
Please upload them to skydrive or a file sharing service and put a link to them in your next post.

Please also go to start>search/run>cmd>msinfo32 and include it in the upload

To ensure minidumps are enabled:

* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
* Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
* Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
* Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
* Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
* OK your way out.
* Reboot if changes have been made.

BSODs but no Dump Files?

The NT Insider:Getting Crash Dumps to Appear in Win7

Team ZigZag3143
MCC 2013-2016
Wanikiya & Dyami

Old 07-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
Registered Member

Do these help?

Also: I ran a memory diagnostic. No errors detected.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WATCHDOG.zip (92.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
Registered Member

And these are the livekernelreports from the last version of windows. I can't seem to get windows to make a minidump folder. what am i doing wrong?
Attached Files
File Type: zip WATCHDOG.zip (973.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 07-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

These were all related to the below.

Quote:
"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception".

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OS's like XP to crash.

As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds.

If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.

Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU.

Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference.

If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.

I would download cpu-z and gpu-z (both free) and keep an eye on the video temps

Team ZigZag3143
MCC 2013-2016
Wanikiya & Dyami

Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
Registered Member

Okay, I ran the verifier and finally got something. Do these help?

Thanks so much for your patience with me, btw, I'm pretty inexperienced with these sorts of issues.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Dumps.zip (219.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
Registered Member

I can't get any other dumps because it doesn't blue screen unless i run the verifier. is there any information at all in that one dump i got?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

The one DMP file you uploaded was related to your video driver but was not showing as driver verifier enabled.

To verify it is running please type verifier /query and it will tell you what drivers it is examining.

This driver could use updating.
Related to CS420x64.sys Hdaudio.sys Customization Filter from Cirrus Logic

Given it is a Mac you may have to enable all drivers in verifier.

Team ZigZag3143
MCC 2013-2016
Wanikiya & Dyami

Old 07-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #15
Registered Member

After it BSODd, i couldnt boot back up without loading a restore point so i dont think it's been on.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
Registered Member

Should I run the verifier a few more times? What can be done about the driver that crashed? Should I try and reinstall it again?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #17
Registered Member

Okay, I updated the nvidia drivers to the newest windows 8 and i got some interesting symptoms.

This time, the screen would go black for a few seconds, then recover for a couple minutes, then black again, then recover again, etc etc. Each time this happened, the Reliability Monitor would make a DMP and flag a Video Hardware Error. I collected all the files (sysdata, a DMP, and a WERInternalMetadata) about each crash in this .zip file.

After ten Video Hardware Errors, the game finally crashed, and this was in the reliability monitor:

Description
Faulting Application Path: c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\FalloutNV.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: FalloutNV.exe
Application Version: 1.4.0.525
Application Timestamp: 4e0d50ed
Fault Module Name: d3d9.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.2.8400.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4fb71546
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000a327
OS Version: 6.2.8400.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 5861
Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
Additional Information 3: 3955
Additional Information 4: 395596f8b99d4d186d01ebc48ecdffc0

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 952aeb8ef9b3d73a838f7747337ce5b7 (-1290341329)

It also pointed to two files: \AppData\Local\Temp\WER2576.tmp.appcompat.txt &
\AppData\Local\Temp\WER26A0.tmp.hdmp but when i went to retrieve them I couldn't find them in the temp folder. Peculiar. Or maybe it's not, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I'm desperate for any help with this because I can't work on the hardware without taking it to apple and they won't give a **** about problems with windows enough to help me. I'm all alone in a no man's land between apple hardware and windows OS.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Crashes.zip (457.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 07-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #18
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Thanks for the additional DMPS. I had the same identical issue on an HP. The one unknown is you mac drivers. I would update all the others just to be sure.

You (like I had) have the alternate 117, then 141. One is a video timeout and the second (the 141) a video engine fail. Basically the same kind of crash.

Mine turned out to be an issue between Nvidia and the CPU. Have you tried rolling back the video driver?

Again the exception code indicates either ram or a driver. Keep running verifier.

VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (141)
One of the the display engines failed to respond in timely fashion.
(This code can never be used for real bugcheck).

Team ZigZag3143
MCC 2013-2016
Wanikiya & Dyami

Old 07-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #19
Registered Member

Do these help at all?

I can't boot up without it crashing while verifier is on. I had it checking all the drivers as you mentioned that I should try that since I was on a mac. Should I pick any drivers specifically to test? I have no idea what I'm doing.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Minidump.zip (976.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 07-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #20
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennysantoro View Post
Do these help at all?

I can't boot up without it crashing while verifier is on. I had it checking all the drivers as you mentioned that I should try that since I was on a mac. Should I pick any drivers specifically to test? I have no idea what I'm doing.
Perfect. It is the MacHalDriver.sys. Yours is from 2011 and since it is a Mac driver (Related to MacHALDriver.sys Mac HAL Driver from Apple Inc.) you are going to have to look for the updated driver yourself.

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VERIFIER_ENABLED_VISTA_MINIDUMP

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for MacHALDriver.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for MacHALDriver.sys
Probably caused by : MacHALDriver.sys ( MacHALDriver+10cd )

Team ZigZag3143
MCC 2013-2016
Wanikiya & Dyami

Closed Thread