Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Freezing Crash, no BSOD or usable errors.

This is a discussion on Freezing Crash, no BSOD or usable errors. within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Dear Forum, I recently bought my first gaming computer i5 OC at 4.5 6970 2 SSD's in RAID 0 for

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

Dear Forum,

I recently bought my first gaming computer

i5 OC at 4.5
2 SSD's in RAID 0 for OS drive
etc

When ever I play games be it Battlefield 3 or League of Ledgends:
Freeze, screen goes black, buzzingish noise from speakers.
Have to force restart then fine, no windows messages.

The only major error in the logs is "Kernal Power"

I have Stress tested the CPU and the GPU, run the windows mem test and formatted and re-installed drivers more times than I can count.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Kind Regards,

~ Adderman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
Registered Member

Update: Ran driver verifier, no output or BSOD, so I assume that means no errors.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
Registered Member

Cause a crash while playing battlefield, no BSOD even with Driver Verifier on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

NOTE: I have severe eye problems. If I do not respond to your postings, please PM another staff member for assistance.

NOTE: Please provide the following information for a more detailed response (even though you're not reporting BSOD's): https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ta-452654.html

The first step with any overclocked system is to eliminate the overclock. Please reset your system to default values and test for further freezes

Also, here's some suggestions about SSD's:
Quote:
There's not a whole bunch available to test SSD's.
Here's what I suggest:
- Update the SSD's firmware to the latest available version
- Slow the memory (RAM) down to the next slower speed (I've only seen one person who claimed that this worked for them).
- Use any manufacturer's utilities that you may have. If you don't have any, then try this free one (I haven't used it myself): Crystal Dew World
- Update chipset and storage controller drivers to the latest available from the manufacturer of the device (not the manufacturer of the motherboard)
- Replace the SSD with a platter based hard drive and see if that stops the BSOD's. If it does, then it's likely that there's a problem with the SSD OR an incompatibility with your system.
Once that's done, please run these free diagnostics/stress tests.
Quote:
Quote:
H/W Diagnostics:
Please start by running these bootable hardware diagnostics:
Memory Diagnostics (read the details at the link)
HD Diagnostic (read the details at the link) - Test ALL of the hard drives.

Also, please run one of these free, independent online malware scans to ensure that your current protection hasn't been compromised: Free Online AntiMalware Resources (read the details at the link)
There are also free, bootable antivirus disks at this link: Free Online AntiMalware Resources - Bootable Disks
Then, if the above tests pass, I'd try these free stress tests:
Quote:
FurMark download site: FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net
FurMark Setup:
- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
Click "Go" to start the test
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
NOTE: Set the alarm to go off at 90C. Then watch the system from that point on. If the system doesn't display a temperature, watch it constantly and turn it off at the first sign of video problems. DO NOT leave it it unmonitored, it can DAMAGE your video card!!!
If the temperature gets above 100C, quit the test - the video card is overheating.
- Click "Quit" to exit
Quote:
Prime95 download site: Free Software - GIMPS
Prime95 Setup:
- extract the contents of the zip file to a location of your choice
- double click on the executable file
- select "Just stress testing"
- select the "Blend" test. If you've already run MemTest overnight please run the "Small FFTs" test instead. (run all 3 if you find a problem and note how long it takes to error out with each)
- "Number of torture test threads to run" should equal the number of CPU's times 2 (if you're using hyperthreading).
The easiest way to figure this out is to go to Task Manager...Performance tab - and see the number of boxes under CPU Usage History
Then run the test for 6 to 24 hours - or until you get errors (whichever comes first).
Monitor the CPU temperature and DON'T let it exceed 85C. If it does, then you probably have a CPU cooling problem.
This won't necessarily crash the system - but check the output in the test window for errors.
The Test selection box and the stress.txt file describes what components that the program stresses.
More details on the use of this test: Torture test your CPU with Prime95
Quote:
More Video Stress Tests:
1. Thanks to VirGnarus for finding this test: https://simtk.org/home/memtest
2. Two other video stress tests (may be more stressful than FurMark):
NOTE: I have had reports that some ISP's will block this website
Video Memory stress Test - МИ* NVIDIA / Утилиты / VMT
Artifact Locator - МИ* NVIDIA / Утилиты / Artifact Locator
Sorry, but I don't read the language that this website is made in.
3. Another interesting test that came to my attention: Download - OCCT Website english
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - the program doesn't have a whole bunch of safety features to protect you from yourself!
I'd also leave the side off of your case and see what happens when it freezes. When I see this problem at work, most often it's an issue with the video card or it's drivers. So keep an eye on it, and use a tool to measure the temp of the video card when it freezes.

Run Driver Verifier for 36 to 48 hours (while the computer is on and being used normally) to see if it'll kick out a BSOD identifying a problem driver.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

NOTE: I have severe eye problems. If I do not respond to your postings, please PM another staff member for assistance.

NOTE: Please provide the following information for a more detailed response (even though you're not reporting BSOD's): https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ta-452654.html

The first step with any overclocked system is to eliminate the overclock. Please reset your system to default values and test for further freezes

Quote:
Here's what I suggest:
- Slow the memory (RAM) down to the next slower speed (I've only seen one person who claimed that this worked for them).
- Use any manufacturer's utilities that you may have. If you don't have any, then try this free one (I haven't used it myself): Crystal Dew World
- Update chipset and storage controller drivers to the latest available from the manufacturer of the device (not the manufacturer of the motherboard)
- Replace the SSD with a platter based hard drive and see if that stops the BSOD's. If it does, then it's likely that there's a problem with the SSD OR an incompatibility with your system.
Quote:
Quote:
H/W Diagnostics:

Also, please run one of these free, independent online malware scans to ensure that your current protection hasn't been compromised: Free Online AntiMalware Resources (read the details at the link)
There are also free, bootable antivirus disks at this link: Free Online AntiMalware Resources - Bootable Disks
Quote:
FurMark download site: FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net
FurMark Setup:
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
NOTE: Set the alarm to go off at 90C. Then watch the system from that point on. If the system doesn't display a temperature, watch it constantly and turn it off at the first sign of video problems. DO NOT leave it it unmonitored, it can DAMAGE your video card!!!
If the temperature gets above 100C, quit the test - the video card is overheating.
- Click "Quit" to exit
Quote:
Prime95 Setup:
- select the "Blend" test. If you've already run MemTest overnight please run the "Small FFTs" test instead. (run all 3 if you find a problem and note how long it takes to error out with each)
- "Number of torture test threads to run" should equal the number of CPU's times 2 (if you're using hyperthreading).
The easiest way to figure this out is to go to Task Manager...Performance tab - and see the number of boxes under CPU Usage History
Then run the test for 6 to 24 hours - or until you get errors (whichever comes first).
Monitor the CPU temperature and DON'T let it exceed 85C. If it does, then you probably have a CPU cooling problem.
This won't necessarily crash the system - but check the output in the test window for errors.
The Test selection box and the stress.txt file describes what components that the program stresses.
Quote:
More Video Stress Tests:
3. Another interesting test that came to my attention: Download - OCCT Website english
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - the program doesn't have a whole bunch of safety features to protect you from yourself!
I'd also leave the side off of your case and see what happens when it freezes. When I see this problem at work, most often it's an issue with the video card or it's drivers. So keep an eye on it, and use a tool to measure the temp of the video card when it freezes.

Run Driver Verifier for 36 to 48 hours (with the computer on and being used normally).
Old 11-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
Here's what I suggest:
Quote:
Quote:
H/W Diagnostics:

Quote:
FurMark Setup:
- Click "Quit" to exit
Quote:
Prime95 Setup:
Quote:
More Video Stress Tests:

Run Driver Verifier for 36 to 48 hours (with the computer on and being used normally).
Closed Thread