Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Freeze and crash when playing video content

This is a discussion on Freeze and crash when playing video content within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I am new here so sorry if this topic already exists. Anyway, here is my problem. Two days

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all, I am new here so sorry if this topic already exists. Anyway, here is my problem. Two days ago, whenever I play a game, watch youtube or watch movies, after about an hour of such an activity, my computer freezes for about a second, screen gets blurred with colors (actually, whatever is on screen at the moment of freezing is what gets murky), sound stops and then the computer restarts. It started after I installed web cam (hp pro web cam), though I am almost certain it is not because of it. I tried to update graphic driver and I have also uninstalled it and then reinstalled the latest ones, didn't help.
My configuration: Pentium 4 3ghz, 2gb ram, ATI 3650 hd, Maxtor x 2 (80 and 160), Chieftec 370w. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Support Visiting Expert
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to zigzag3143

We do need the DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

If you are overclocking STOP

We could also use some system information, which you can get easily by running msinfo32.
To do that go to start>run>type msinfo32>enter

When it is finished running go to file>save>name it and upload to us here.

You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.

To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:
Quote:
* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.
*If the files are too large please upload them to a file sharing service like "Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.

To ensure minidumps are enabled:
Quote:
* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
* Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
* Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
* Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
* Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
* OK your way out.
* Reboot if changes have been made.

Team ZigZag3143
MS-MVP Consumer Expert 2010-2016
MCC 2013-2016
Wanikiya & Dyami

Old 04-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks, but I am not having bsod, just freeze and crash. Will the files you mentioned still help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Support Visiting Expert
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to zigzag3143

Quote:
Originally Posted by handys View Post
Thanks, but I am not having bsod, just freeze and crash. Will the files you mentioned still help?
It does say crash in the title. We can probably find something in the event viewer logs.

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
Expand Custom Views
Click Administrative Events
Right click Administrative Events
Save all Events in Custom View As...
Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the .zip file here.

Team ZigZag3143
MS-MVP Consumer Expert 2010-2016
MCC 2013-2016
Wanikiya & Dyami

Closed Thread