Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Extremely Odd BSOD Errors and Issues with Windows

This is a discussion on Extremely Odd BSOD Errors and Issues with Windows within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello All, I recently did a complete reinstallation of Windows 7 Ultimate x64bit a few months ago because of buying

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello All,

I recently did a complete reinstallation of Windows 7 Ultimate x64bit a few months ago because of buying an SSD. I made my SSD my primary hard drive for the OS and mostly all other apps over to my secondary drive which is a SATA.

Everything was OK for about a month, until afterwards where I've been battling some extremely odd permissions related issues. Then the random BSOD almost once or twice every week or every other week. I'd like to get to the root of the problem, including some of the permissions related issues that I've been having without having to reformat. I'm not even sure where to begin on the permissions issue, but I am posting all other relevant information required to diagnose my issues. If there are any questions, please feel free to ask. I am tired of putting this off for months on end and would like to get to the bottom of it. Full report is attached.

• OS - Windows 7 x64
  • What was original installed OS on system? Nothing. Custom built.
  • Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? OEM
  • Age of system (hardware): 4-5 years
  • Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?: 5-6 months
  • CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Deneb Socket AM3 938
  • Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GTX+
  • MotherBoard: Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
  • Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
  • System Manufacturer: Custom built
  • Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom): N/A
Attached Files
File Type: zip sysrpt_phyl0x_20130726.zip (2.08 MB, 28 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Quote:
Symptom:
Device is disabled.

Cause: A device is disabled preventing it from working properly.

Details: The device, Array Networks SSL VPN Adapter, is disabled. If this device is no longer used it may be intentionally disabled. The Plug and Play ID for this device is 11.

Resolution:
1. Determine if you need the device.
2. If you need the device, enable it in Device Manager.
3. If you do not use the device it can be left disabled.
Various different bugchecks attached, most mentioning memory corruption:

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7f)

This means a trap occurred in kernel mode, and it's a trap of a kind
that the kernel isn't allowed to have/catch (bound trap) or that
is always instant death (double fault).

The processor identified a problem, but Windows was unable to deal with it.

This problem can occur when any of these issues occur:

• Defective memory, memory incorrectly installed or mismatched memory sticks
  • BIOS having the wrong settings and/or overclocking the processor (CPU) or memory
  • Stopped or slow fans causing overheating
  • Defective or buggy hardware or video drivers
  • Defective Processor (CPU)

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)

Quote:
A kernel-mode driver or process attempted to access a protected memory location it does not have permission for, or a kernel interrupt request level (IRQL) attempted to access a memory address that is too high.
This bugcheck usually occurs when a driver uses an incorrect memory address. Other possible causes of this error include: bug in a device driver, system service, the BIOS, an old Anti-virus program or backup tool, or possibly memory issues.

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)
Quote:
An exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This bugcheck is generally related to a video driver issue.

Ensure you have the latest video card drivers. If you are already on the latest video card drivers, uninstall and install a version or a few versions behind the latest to ensure it's not a latest driver only issue. If you have already experimented with the latest video card driver and many previous versions, please give the beta driver for your card a try.

Remove and replace !avast with the removal tool and install Microsoft Security Essentials:

!avast removal tool - avast! Uninstall Utility | Download aswClear for avast! Removal

MSE - Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

In your loaded drivers list, dtsoftbus01.sys is listed which is the Daemon Tools driver. Daemon Tools is a very popular cause of BSOD's in 7/8 based systems. Please uninstall Daemon Tools. Alternative imaging programs are: MagicISO, Power ISO, etc.

ASACPI.sys is dated from 2005 - Asus ATK0110 ACPI Utility (a known BSOD maker in Win7 and Win8). Also a part of many Asus utilities. Update this via Asus' website from your motherboard drivers page ASAP!!

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks much for your response. Here is what I've done so far based on your post:

1. Memory related BSOD errors: I just got done doing a Memtest86 scan and left it on for 12 hours and 15 minutes. It passed, no errors.

2. Although I've sworn by Avast since I first started using it as of 3-4 years ago, I am absolutely tired of the BSOD errors so I ended up removing it per your recommendation and installed MSE.

3. Removed Daemon Tools.

4. I've updated the Asus ATK0110 ACPI Utility and the version on it now dates 2009 instead of 2005.

As of the past 2-3 days, I've experienced several BSOD errors. Please see updated BSOD reports attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sysrpt_phyl0x_20130808.zip (2.06 MB, 34 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Good work. First of all, in regards to the perfmon:

Details: The device, Array Networks SSL VPN Adapter, is disabled. If this device is no longer used it may be intentionally disabled. The Plug and Play ID for this device is 11.

Resolution:

Enable Driver Verifier, I want to see if we are dealing with any other possible driver conflicts:

Driver Verifier:
Quote:
What is Driver Verifier?
Driver Verifier is included in Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 to promote stability and reliability; you can use this tool to troubleshoot driver issues. Windows kernel-mode components can cause system corruption or system failures as a result of an improperly written driver, such as an earlier version of a Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver.
Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be at issue, enabling Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver by flagging it and causing your system to BSOD.
Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:
Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
How to enable Driver Verifier:
Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -
1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check the following boxes -
- Special Pool
- Pool Tracking
- Force IRQL Checking
- Deadlock Detection
- Security Checks (Windows 7)
- Concurrentcy Stress Test (Windows 8)
- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
- Miscellaneous Checks
4. Select - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.
6. Check EVERY box that is NOT provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.
7. Click on Finish.
8. Restart.
Important information regarding Driver Verifier:
- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD.
- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows because Driver Verifier will flag it, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.
If this happens, do not panic, do the following:
- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.
- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.
- Choose the restore point you created earlier.
If you did not set up a restore point, do not worry, you can still disable Driver Verifier to get back into normal Windows:
- Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.
- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.
- Restart and boot into normal Windows.
How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?
It varies, many experts and analysts have different recommendations. Personally, I recommend keeping it enabled for at least 36-48 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier.
My system BSOD'd, where can I find the crash dumps?
They will be located in C:\Windows\Minidump
Any other questions can most likely be answered by this article:
Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users
Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJB View Post
Hi,

Good work. First of all, in regards to the perfmon:

Resolution:

Enable Driver Verifier, I want to see if we are dealing with any other possible driver conflicts:

Driver Verifier:

Regards,

Patrick
Odd, I actually did this earlier before your post and ran Driver Verifier went through all the options and restarted my system with it. I did not see it do anything other than boot normally into Windows. Is this something that runs in the background while I'm doing normal things or is it supposed to run during the boot up process?
Old 08-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Is this something that runs in the background while I'm doing normal things or is it supposed to run during the boot up process?
Once you enable it and it prompts you to restart, it's enable from boot-up and runs in the background until disabled.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Once you enable it and it prompts you to restart, it's enable from boot-up and runs in the background until disabled.

Regards,

Patrick
Ok, then I'm assuming its running then. I read that I'm supposed to keep it enabled for 3-4 days, so that's what I'll do. I guess Sunday night would be when I will disable it. Also, I uninstalled the Array VPN device and the software associated with it.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Great work, keep me updated.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Great work, keep me updated.

Regards,

Patrick
Hi there, I did not have any BSOD during the last few days. Also, before I disable Driver Verifier, how can I make sure it is enabled in the first place?
Old 08-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

You can check via running verifier.exe and selecting 'display existing settings' or run a verifier /query in CMD.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
Registered Member

Yep, it was already enabled. Just attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	52
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	127722  
Old 08-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

You can disable it now if you wish, it's well over 24 hours at this point.

If you feel or are confident enough that your problem is solved, please navigate to 'Thread Tools' at the top of the thread and select 'Mark this thread as solved'.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-23-2013, 03:30 AM   #13
Registered Member

Hello,

I gave it sometime before I wanted to mark it as solved and yesterday I received two back to back BSOD errors.

Attached are the latest BSOD reports.

Please review whenever time permitting. I appreciate your help.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sysreport_20130823.zip (1.84 MB, 68 views)
Old 08-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
Registered Member

I've been receiving quite a few more BSOD and system restarts today. When I went to run the BSOD_Windows7 vista program to get you a more up to date report, it says unknown error program has terminated. I even tried redownloading it and running again as administrator; same issue.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Let's run some hardware diagnostics. First off, Memtest for no less than ~8 passes (several hours):

Memtest86+:

Download Memtest86+ here:

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Which should I download?

You can either download the pre-compiled ISO that you would burn to a CD and then boot from the CD, or you can download the auto-installer for the USB key. What this will do is format your USB drive, make it a bootable device, and then install the necessary files. Both do the same job, it's just up to you which you choose, or which you have available (whether it's CD or USB).

How Memtest works:

Memtest86 writes a series of test patterns to most memory addresses, reads back the data written, and compares it for errors.

The default pass does 9 different tests, varying in access patterns and test data. A tenth test, bit fade, is selectable from the menu. It writes all memory with zeroes, then sleeps for 90 minutes before checking to see if bits have changed (perhaps because of refresh problems). This is repeated with all ones for a total time of 3 hours per pass.

Many chipsets can report RAM speeds and timings via SPD (Serial Presence Detect) or EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles), and some even support changing the expected memory speed. If the expected memory speed is overclocked, Memtest86 can test that memory performance is error-free with these faster settings.

Some hardware is able to report the "PAT status" (PAT: enabled or PAT: disabled). This is a reference to Intel Performance acceleration technology; there may be BIOS settings which affect this aspect of memory timing.

This information, if available to the program, can be displayed via a menu option.

Any other questions, they can most likely be answered by reading this great guide here:

FAQ : please read before posting

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chkdsk:

Chkdsk:
There are various ways to run Chkdsk~

Method 1:

Start > Search bar > Type cmd (right click run as admin to execute Elevated CMD)

Elevated CMD should now be opened, type the following:

chkdsk x: /r

x implies your drive letter, so if your hard drive in question is letter c, it would be:

chkdsk c: /r

Restart system and let chkdsk run.

Method 2:

Open the "Computer" window
Right-click on the drive in question
Select the "Tools" tab
In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

If you'd like to get a log file that contains the chkdsk results, do the following:

Press Windows Key + R and type powershell.exe in the run box

Paste the following command and press enter afterwards:

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

This will output a .txt file on your Desktop containing the results of the chkdsk.

If chkdsk turns out okay, run Seatools -

SeaTools | Seagate

You can run it via Windows or DOS. Do note that the only difference is simply the environment you're running it in. In Windows, if you are having what you believe to be device driver related issues that may cause conflicts or false positive, it may be a wise decision to choose the most minimal testing environment (DOS).

Run all tests EXCEPT: Fix All, Long Generic, and anything Advanced.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi,

Let's run some hardware diagnostics. First off, Memtest for no less than ~8 passes (several hours):

Memtest86+:

Download Memtest86+ here:

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Which should I download?

You can either download the pre-compiled ISO that you would burn to a CD and then boot from the CD, or you can download the auto-installer for the USB key. What this will do is format your USB drive, make it a bootable device, and then install the necessary files. Both do the same job, it's just up to you which you choose, or which you have available (whether it's CD or USB).

How Memtest works:

Memtest86 writes a series of test patterns to most memory addresses, reads back the data written, and compares it for errors.

The default pass does 9 different tests, varying in access patterns and test data. A tenth test, bit fade, is selectable from the menu. It writes all memory with zeroes, then sleeps for 90 minutes before checking to see if bits have changed (perhaps because of refresh problems). This is repeated with all ones for a total time of 3 hours per pass.

Many chipsets can report RAM speeds and timings via SPD (Serial Presence Detect) or EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles), and some even support changing the expected memory speed. If the expected memory speed is overclocked, Memtest86 can test that memory performance is error-free with these faster settings.

Some hardware is able to report the "PAT status" (PAT: enabled or PAT: disabled). This is a reference to Intel Performance acceleration technology; there may be BIOS settings which affect this aspect of memory timing.

This information, if available to the program, can be displayed via a menu option.

Any other questions, they can most likely be answered by reading this great guide here:

FAQ : please read before posting

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chkdsk:

Chkdsk:
There are various ways to run Chkdsk~

Method 1:

Start > Search bar > Type cmd (right click run as admin to execute Elevated CMD)

Elevated CMD should now be opened, type the following:

chkdsk x: /r

x implies your drive letter, so if your hard drive in question is letter c, it would be:

chkdsk c: /r

Restart system and let chkdsk run.

Method 2:

Open the "Computer" window
Right-click on the drive in question
Select the "Tools" tab
In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

If you'd like to get a log file that contains the chkdsk results, do the following:

Press Windows Key + R and type powershell.exe in the run box

Paste the following command and press enter afterwards:

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

This will output a .txt file on your Desktop containing the results of the chkdsk.

If chkdsk turns out okay, run Seatools -

SeaTools | Seagate

You can run it via Windows or DOS. Do note that the only difference is simply the environment you're running it in. In Windows, if you are having what you believe to be device driver related issues that may cause conflicts or false positive, it may be a wise decision to choose the most minimal testing environment (DOS).

Run all tests EXCEPT: Fix All, Long Generic, and anything Advanced.

Regards,

Patrick
Hello,

I've already ran a Memtest scan a few posts ago in which I had it running for 12+ hours straight and detected no issues. Do you need me to run it once more? I will proceed with the remaining procedures on your post.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

No, not necessary to run again. Thanks for letting me know. Let me know how chkdsk and Seatools turn out.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #18
Registered Member

Both Check disk scan results are attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt CHKDSKResults-CDRIVE-SSD.txt (20.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: txt CHKDSKResults-GDRIVE-SATA.txt (14.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 08-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #19
Registered Member

All seatools tests passed on C:\ and G:\ drive except for the tests you noted not to run.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Chkdsk logs look fine, I just noticed as of the last post you have an SSD.... is it updated to the latest firmware?

Edit: Also, please remove Comodo for temporary troubleshooting purposes -
https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/uninstaller-tool-for-comodo-products-t71897.0.html

Have you had any antivirus or 3rd party firewall software installed before?

Regards,

Patrick
Closed Thread