Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Different kinds of BSOD after installing Windows 10

This is a discussion on Different kinds of BSOD after installing Windows 10 within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all and thanks for reading my post! For more details see description below :) Details: - Clean USB install

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 05:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello all and thanks for reading my post!

For more details see description below :)

Details:

- Clean USB install of a retail version of Windows 10 (x64). Previous OS was W7. I did not reinstall W10 yet because I just did a new install three weeks ago and the problems started immedeately after installing W10.

- Got my system in 2013 but upgraded the video card to a Nvidia GTX970 last year. Never had any problems whatsoever until I installed W10. After the BSOD I installed a new cooler, thinking the high temps of my CPU were the culprit but that didn't help either.

Desktop computer
CPU: AMD FX-8350
Video Card: Nvidia GTX970 (did multiple clean installs of the most recent drivers)
Mobo: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
Chipset: AMD 970 (RX980) + SB920/SB950 (Do I need to update this?)
Power Supply: 950W ATX PSU
Manufactorer: I got an assembled system at a shop. Installed some parts of the system myself throughout the years.

Driver verifier is installed as per instructions here.

More information:

A few weeks ago I noticed my old install of Windows 7 was running a little sluggish. It got worse and worse and sometimes slowed down to a crawl. Since I had some trouble running the new Tomb Raider as well I decided to buy Windows 10 and do a complete reinstall (the last time I installed Windows 7 was about 3/4 years ago).

Besides the sudden slowdown (it didn't gradually build up, my pc was running just fine the week before it happened) my system ran great. I am a gamer, and play many different kinds of games. I play anything from roguelikes to GTAV. Never had a problem with any of them.

After installing Windows 10 I experienced a barrage of BSODs. Sometimes I would get a couple of day. Sometimes my system would run stable for 1 or 2 days but they just keep coming back.

I ran a BSOD tool that collected the BSOD error messages but after I did a regclean I lost the history. I will update the post to list the BSOD error messages when they occur!

I tried looking up the different file names but it's usually a different file name so I can't really find the cause of the problem (although some keep coming back). I do remember two of them: DXGKRNL.SYS and ACPIEX.SYS.

Thanks so much! :)
Attached Files
File Type: zip report.zip (143.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: zip SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip (431.0 KB, 129 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2016, 05:30 AM   #2
Registered Member

Maybe another piece of information that might be helpful: I tried running two games by the same developer (Sorceror King and GalCivIII) and I had the exact same error message before starting them (one that I did not have with Windows7).

See enclosed screenshot for the errormessage, telling my my graphic card drivers are out of date. Note that I installed the most recent drivers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-09.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	272921  
Old 02-26-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi. . .

There were no BSOD kernel dumps in the attached SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip file.

Please check \windows\minidump for dump files.

Are you using an app like CCleaner that deletes dump files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakFire74 View Post
I tried looking up the different file names but it's usually a different file name so I can't really find the cause of the problem (although some keep coming back). I do remember two of them: DXGKRNL.SYS and ACPIEX.SYS.

Thanks so much! :)
DXGKRNL.SYS - Microsoft DirectX Graphics kernel - it is not the cause of the BSOD, rather it is a default of sorts. However, its appearance would indicate that video could likely be involved. Be sure that your video drivers are updated.

https://www.sysnative.com/drivers/dr...id=dxgkrnl.sys

ACPIEX.SYS - Microsoft ACPIEx driver (not sure exactly what that is) - https://www.sysnative.com/drivers/dr...?id=acpiex.sys

The best place to look up drivers is the Driver Reference Table (DRT) - https://www.sysnative.com/drivers/

Since Microsoft drivers were named, you are likely looking at some kind of unknown hardware failure as the cause of your BSODs.

To help rule out 3rd party drivers as the cause, run Driver Verifier - https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ed-473665.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016, 03:04 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the fast reply, JCGriff2.

I did indeed run CCleaner which must have gotten rid of the dump files! I will wait for a new bluescreen and post details here.

I did run the Driver Verifier so I will update the post when it finds a faulty driver. I am running the most recent graphic card drivers which I did a clean install of several times.. I used the 'clean install' checkmark in the installation window.

Thanks so far!
Old 02-27-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
Administrator
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

You're welcome.

We'll wait for the new dump files.

Regards. . .

John

`
Old 02-28-2016, 03:16 AM   #6
Registered Member

Experienced a few crashes yesterday while playing Assassin's Creed 3 (to test stability I'm trying games that worked on my previous installation of Windows 7).. Like Tomb Raider I got same kind of message that the game stops working, no specifics.. It just pops back to desktop..

I completely reinstalled Windows 10 just to make sure the installation was okay but this morning I experienced yet another BSOD. I used Bluescreenviewer and the app lists ntoskrnl.exe+141f80 as the cause of the crash.. Yet another different kind of driver that causes the BSOD!

I included a screenshot of the Bluescreenviewer and new updated Sysnative BSOD Dump and Perfmon files.. Note that on this installation I did NOT update NVIDIA drivers yet to make sure the new drivers are not part of the problem.. The same problems kept appearing on my previous install of Windows 10 with the most recent graphic card drivers.. I left the installation of Windows 10 as clean as possible on purpose..

I really don't know what's causing all these problems.. It all started with the first installation of Windows 10.. On Windows 7 everything worked perfectly..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	W10BSOD.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	273202  
Attached Files
File Type: zip SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip (303.6 KB, 345 views)
File Type: zip PERFMON.zip (144.3 KB, 90 views)
Old 02-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #7
Administrator
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi. . .

ntoskrnl.exe is the Windows kernel and is definitely not the cause. It is merely a default.

The latest dump was of no help as it listed a Microsoft driver as the cause, which simply cannot be.

I think we're looking at unknown hardware failure here.

Run hardware diagnostics.
You also need to look at the motherboard, PSU, and all other hardware parts.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

Code:

Loading Dump File [C:\Users\PalmDesert\_jcgriff2_\dbug\__Kernel__\022816-77796-01.dmp]
Built by: 10586.0.amd64fre.th2_release.151029-1700
Debug session time: Sun Feb 28 04:43:30.826 2016 (UTC - 5:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 10:24:40.527
Probably caused by : win32kbase.sys ( win32kbase!EngAcquireSemaphore+1c )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x3B
PROCESS_NAME:  chrome.exe
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x3B_win32kbase!EngAcquireSemaphore
Bugcheck code 0000003B
Arguments 00000000`c0000005 fffff802`44682f02 ffffd000`312ee060 00000000`00000000
BiosVersion = 1302
BiosReleaseDate = 11/15/2012
SystemManufacturer = To be filled by O.E.M.
SystemProductName = To be filled by O.E.M.
ииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииии``

Old 02-29-2016, 04:08 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks again, Jcgriff! I really appreciate all the advice!

Just an update. I've started running the tests you linked.

1) The HDD long test found 34 bad sectors on my HDD but it did say the test was unsuccesfull because of problem sectors (see screenshot). SeaTools managed to repair them (at least, I think it did).. Is this just standard after using the HDD for a couple of years or could this be the cause of all these weird problems?

2) The GPU test went fine. At least, I did not get any error messages. See the screenshot attached for the results. The results are in red but I take it this is not an error? I let the test run for about 20 mins (the temp became stable in about 4/5 minutes)..

3) I have just started the CPU tests which I will let run in the background today..

4) The RAM test I will do after that..

So, so far it seems like the HDD was the problem.. But could bad sectors really cause these exact kinds of problems that kept occuring even after reinstalling Windows 10 again? I find it very odd that Sorceror King and GalCiv3 gave me the error message telling me my graphics card driver was pre 2006.. (see the attached screenshot in one of my earlier posts)..

Anyways, I will order an SSD drive today since I was planning on getting one anyways.. :)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GPUREPORT.png
Views:	79
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	273273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7144.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	273281  
Old 02-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #9
Registered Member

Another update:

1) Did one pass of RAM test and found no errors

2) Prime95 is running in the background today while I'm using the computer. CPU temperature is anywhere between 20-45. System seems stable enough. No BSOD's yet. Haven't tried running any demanding games yet.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
Registered Member

Prime95 checked the CPU. Did all the three required tests for a couple of hours each. No error messages, slowdowns or crashes.

So, with the memory checked, the CPU checked, the GPU checked and the HDD having 34 bad sectors I will now reinstall W10 on the SSD drive that I ordered.. Hopefully, it will mean the end of all these weird crashes (although I still don't understand how the crashes and the driver error messages could happen)..

The SSD will be arriving tomorrow, so I'll report back after I've installed it. :)
Old 02-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

You need to replace the hard drive.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:54 PM   #12
Administrator
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Glad to hear that you are getting a new hard drive (SSD is even better of course for speed!).

It's hard to say whether or not the new SSD will solve all of your system problems or not because I didn't get to see the many earlier dumps due to CCleaner. Perhaps one of them would have told us there was a problem with the HDD like giving off an I/O error.

HDD/SSDs are the only piece of hardware that a dump can be of help with as the dump will often contain an exception error code pointing to the HDD, like an I/O error code.

memtest86+ needs at least 7 passes. Hold off for now though -- until after you install the SSD and see how the system performs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakFire74 View Post
So, so far it seems like the HDD was the problem.. But could bad sectors really cause these exact kinds of problems that kept occuring even after reinstalling Windows 10 again? I find it very odd that Sorceror King and GalCiv3 gave me the error message telling me my graphics card driver was pre 2006.. (see the attached screenshot in one of my earlier posts)..
Bad sectors can cause many kinds of errors, including BSODs, but I do not believe that the bad sectors caused the video driver error message.

The message basically said that your video drivers should be dated 2005 or greater and support DirectX 9.0C, which your old video driver certainly did.

I honestly don't know what caused that error message to pop up, but doubt it was connected to the failing HDD.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Old 03-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #13
Registered Member

Many thanks, again!

Funny thing is, these two games (both turn-based strategy games by the same developer so I guess they are using the same-ish engine) run fine if I use Windows 7 compatibility mode.. It's quite odd, really.. But, it might just be a different error/bug and not related to the BSODs.. I've been googling the error message and people in 2009 have been experiencing the same error message in previous versions of GalCiv.. One person explained the game just had difficulty 'reading' the hardware and one of the developers explained they were working on a fix.. Still odd that this didn't happen in Windows 7 though..

Anyways, the SSD is coming in tomorrow and I will replace the old one and I will keep an eye on performance. I haven't had any BSOD for two days now so maybe the HDD repair helped (for now).. If I experience any new BSOD's I will post the dumps here.

If I don't experience any new crashes and the system is still stable next week, I will report back as well! :)
Old 03-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #14
Administrator
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Thank you - we appreciate any and all status reports.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:55 AM   #15
Registered Member

Update: It's almost a week later and so far the new install has been running perfectly. Not a single BSOD and no crashes. I admit I haven't been playing many games but the computer is on 24/7 (although it goes into sleep mode at night) so it's really looking like the HDD was the culprit of all these crashes..

And such luck: just when I installed Windows 10 on the new SSD drive, the old HDD just gave up. I can't see it in Windows Explorer anymore. So, the SSD drive came just in time! :)

The weird error message when starting the two games are still there though. I can fix that by starting them in Win 7 compatibility mode but it's still weird because they are recent games and they should just run in Windows 10 without any problems. I contacted customer support but they couldn't help me..

Anyways, I will let the system run for another week and will try some more games. I will get back to you next week. Thanks for all the help so far!
Old 03-07-2016, 06:02 PM   #16
Administrator
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Thanks for posting back - much appreciated.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Old 03-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #17
Registered Member

Hey JCGriff,

Back again! And here to report that after replacing the HDD I have experienced ZERO BSODs in the last couple of weeks!

So, again: many thanks for all the help. Without this site I'd probably have ended up with a complete system crash. Ordering the SDD and reinstalling Windows did the trick (and just in time!).

Bye!

Mike
Old 03-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #18
Administrator
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi Mike. . .

Thank you for posting back - much appreciated.

Good luck to you with your now BSOD-free system!

Regards. . .

John

`
Closed Thread