Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Defrag/Normal Use BSOD on custom built PC

This is a discussion on Defrag/Normal Use BSOD on custom built PC within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, I built this computer about six months ago. I had problems immediately...which I later found out was because

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there,

I built this computer about six months ago. I had problems immediately...which I later found out was because I stupidly put the motherboard standoffs on improperly. So I fixed that (after rma-ing a few components) and all was well. It's been running like butter for weeks now (since fixing the standoffs, that is). Until just the other day, it started bluescreening.

What happened was, I was taking advantage of the awesome deals on Steam (video game vendor software) when Steam froze while downloading a game. I restarted Steam...froze again. It kept freezing. So I closed it and decided to defrag (simply because it puts my mind at ease) so I ran Defraggler, which BSOD'd at around 88%. After that BSOD, I tried Auslogic Disk Defragmenter (my personal favorite) and it also BSOD'd. So did Windows Disk Defrag.

So I ran some scans and other stuff (chkdsk, sfc scannow, etc), to not very eventful results. And decided that, as long as it was only happening during Defrags, I could let the problem be for now and continue about my business. But then it BSOD'd during my normal business (watching a Youtube vid) and so I got worried and now I'm making this post.

I'm almost certain that if it BSOD's during a Youtube vid or Defragging, it'll also BSOD during gaming (which is unacceptable because it's Steam's Summer Sale right now).

I should also mention that, when it bluescreens, many times when it says "dumping files" or "making dumps" or whatever it says down there, it has a numeric percentage that displays how far it has progressed in making those dump files. During most of these bluescreens, it freezes at a number. Only a few times has it gone on to 100% (and then after getting to 100% some additional information is added below that line).

So that frightens me because it could indicate a hardware error, no? Because if even the bluescreen is having problems....that ain't good. I sure hope my hardware problems haven't returned. Everything's been running so well recently....finally my nice, custom-built pc was no longer a paperweight...I'd hate to return to that again....

Attached are the dumps.

thanks.

Windows 7 OEM SP1
AMD Athlon II X4 640
Asus M4a79XTD Evo (which has caused me endless trouble...don't buy this board!)
Attached Files
File Type: zip dumps.zip (1.35 MB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

Old 07-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Registered Member

XFX 6850
AMD Athlon II X4 640
Asus M4a79XTD Evo
2x2gb Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1333 memory
650W Ultra PSU (forgot the model....)

Voltages are all defaults (except memory, which I set to 1.66V, because Crucial lists it as 1.65V but my board automatically set it to 1.5V for some reason). Board also didn't correctly set memory timings. It auto-set them to 9-9-9-24, so I switched it to the advertised 7-7-7-24. Everything else is totally stock.

Temps are fine. CPU idles around 20C. GPU idles around 40C.

Also, I should say that just now it bsod'd on me when I was running a Security Essentials scan. Not sure if that was a coincidence, but it seems to BSOD a lot during defrags/virus scans etc....

However, I haven't tried gaming since this happened...I'm sure it'll BSOD, but I'll try Bad Company 2 right now (it's super cpu/gpu intensive). If Youtube BSOD'd (well, I was on Youtube at the time; obviously that doesn't mean Youtube was the cause) I'm sure an intensive game will. But hey, you never know.

And if I had to choose a moment that was the "catalyst" that began all these BSOD's, I'd say trying to install Half Life 2 after buying it from Steam (like I said, Steam kept crashing, and the install of HL2 is still all messed up). That doesn't meant it's the cause, of course. That'd be weird. I'm just hoping it's not hardware :( I'd reinstall my OS right now if I KNEW it wasn't hardware. I think it's fun installing a clean OS. But if I installed a clean OS and still got problems, that'd make me feel like I wasted a bunch of time for nothing.

Interesting...I just played half an hour of Bad Company 2. No BSOD. I'm getting confused now.

And let it be known that even though things started acting funky when Steam starting freezing, it wasn't until I ran Defraggler that I saw my first BSOD. Also, when I booted up Bad Company 2 half an hour ago, it needed to reinstall itself. I've run into weird stuff like this when I've run Defraggler before. Everyone loves Defraggler, but this weird stuff...for instance, last time I ran Defraggler, iTunes could no longer find all the media in its library. I swear Defraggler did something to them. I had to point iTunes in the right direction again. Defraggler just weirds me out.

Then again, I also BS'd in Windows Disk Defrag immediately afterwards....

EDIT:

Oh, by the way, at least once the BSOD said "Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error", but all the recent BSOD's don't say that. They don't really say anything specific....just "remove new hardware and software" and that stuff. Also, like I said, they're still freezing when making the dump files. Usually it stops around 35% of dumping the files.

UPDATE:

I'm noticing something. Almost all of my bluescreens take place either while I'm in Steam (usually after Steam crashes, which is very often for some reason) or while Steam is running in the background. This disturbs me, because I've already reinstalled steam...it's weird that it'd still have problems.

I always thought Steam was a very stable program....not sure why it's giving me problems now...it's always been rock solid to me.

Guys :( bad news. Just reinstalled Windows 7. Before I even got to use the desktop for the first time....bluescreen :( This REALLY sucks and I'm a combination of horribly depressed and extremely angry for some reason.

I built this computer almost 7 months ago now, and I've used it with zero problems for maybe two weeks (an isolated time when everything seemed to work fine).

This is probably the most frustrating experience of my life :(

I hope there's something in those dump files that help you guys figure out what the issue is. Otherwise....I'm beat. $700 down the tubes :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

the ultra is equivalent to a quality 450/500w
you need a quality unit in there

Power Supply Information and Selection - Tech Support Forum

d/load and run the h/drive makers diagnostic utility on the h/drive

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

As I was reading your post I was suspecting that the PSU may not be adequate, so I agree with Dai that it's probably not good enough for what you're running.

There may also be heat issues if the fans are not running at full capacity or if they are dusty, etc.

There may also have been some software issues like malware, disk errors (caused by the failed download / install) as well as a botched defrag (sometimes freebies will move the wrong files (probably what happened with iTunes) and sometimes they corrupt system files.

The re-install should have handled all the software issues, but depending on whether you did a clean re-install after a re-format or an "in-place" re-install it may still have some lingering software issues.

I would first address the hardware angle as per Dai's advice and also make sure the fans are running well and the CPU is free of dust (as well as its heat sink, etc.) and that you have enough fans to keep the system as cool as possible (even though the temps seem to be OK, the temp sensor may be off, etc.)

I had a user test his BSOD-prone, "hopeless-case" PC for heat by taking off the case covers and putting the PC in front of the AC while it was running -- no more BSOD!

Once all the hardware issues are remedied, try starting it with the covers off and with cold AC air blowing on it as above. If it now works fine, you need to replace or add more fans to cool it down properly.

If not:

0. First since you already did a re-install, I assume the files you wanted to keep were already backed, up. If so, and if the HDD checks out OK, reformat it and then re-install W-7.

1. Make sure you run only one Anti-Virus program and a good Anti-Malware like Malware Bytes.

2. Get and use CCleaner to keep the registry in good shape.

3. For the level of use you probably have, I would highly recommend you look at a commercial Defrag program as the built-in is really meant for casual users. Check out this Top 10 Review side-by-side comparison of the best defrag programs around:

Disk Defragmenter Software Review 2011 | Defrag Software | Disk Defrag - TopTenREVIEWS

The top placers are all automatic and the gold medalist is completely transparent during defrag according to the review (they also stated that it prevents fragmentation).

Get a free trial and try it out (the top programs are designed to be used in large IT sites -- they don't move files that should not be moved and they don't screw up system files, etc.)

Good luck to you!

Bill R Tech-Spec

PS: Don't be depressed. This kind of stuff happens to the best of us -- it's a learning process. At least some of your hardware (if not all) is probably still under warranty....
Closed Thread