Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Computer Crashes, Occassional BSOD

This is a discussion on Computer Crashes, Occassional BSOD within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have been having an issue with my computer crashing for about a year now. I purchased this Cyberpower computer

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have been having an issue with my computer crashing for about a year now. I purchased this Cyberpower computer last year, only hardware changes I made was a OCZ Vertex 2 80GB SSD I used for OS(Windows 7) and I added a SB X-FI sound card.

So I have intermitten problems with the computer screen turning black and the computer restarting. Mostly just from browsing the web, though playing a game will bring about the problem much sooner. Sometimes it will occur when watching a movie, but not as much as a game.

Steps I have taken:
I tried disconnecting the SSD drive and just running the computer off HDD that came stock. SSD drive had latest firmware(1.37) flashed to it and was running in ACHI(both in BIOS and reggedit). The computer currently is in IDE and just has the HDD plugged in.
I've updated the drivers on the video card.
Tried different virus protection programs(currently using avast)
Tried just running the stock sound card. Currently have the Sound Blaster card in with the onboard disabled in BIOS.
I ran Memtest, looked fine.
Cleaned out the inside, had a repair shop test the PSU and he said it was fine. He also said the temps looked fine.
I disabled the automatic restart in advanced settings, though I never really get a chance to see the BSOD error message, it either doesnt show it flashes for like 5 seconds on the rare occasion I see it at all.

I just ran Diablo 3 after not having any issues after updating the video card driver. It played through the opening video fine but after setting up a character it blacked out again(automatic restart).

At this point I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking of replacing the video card and seeing what that does. From probably do a clean install of Windows..Other than that, is it time to replace the m/b? I really can't see what else it could possibly be?

Not sure if this is at all related, but I experienced more problems with the AC in the room that the computer is in. The AC cycles and likely causes some kind of voltage flux. I have a decent APC UPS(XS 1000), that is off a different outlet. We have a cheap desktop attached to a much cheaper APC UPS(ES 350), and although that UPS will cycle at the same time the AC does, that computer is not affected.

Here is all my computer info and the latest temps and volts according to speed fan. I know you guys will need more info so please let me know what it is that you want to see.

Thanks!

Cyberpower PC Model Gamer Xtreme 1029
ProcessorIntel Core i7 870(2.93GHz)Processor
Main Features 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Memory8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 1333
Hard Drive1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD
Optical Drive 1Blu-Ray Player Drive
Optical Drive 224X DVD±R/±RW Dual Layer Drive
GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 2GB PCI Express Video Card
AudioSound card - Integrated
EthernetGigabit LAN
Power Supply800W
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Special Features Coolermaster Elite 310 Gaming Case
Asetek Water Cooling

Motherboard

ChipsetIntel P55

CPU

CPU TypeIntel Core i7
CPU Speed870(2.93GHz)L3 Cache Per CPU8MBCPU Socket Type
LGA 1156CPU Main Features64 bit Quad-Core Processor

Graphics

GPU/VPU TypeNVIDIA GeForce GTX 285Graphics InterfacePCI Express 2.0 x16
Memory

Memory Capacity 8GB DDR3
Memory Speed DDR3 1333Form FactorDIMM 240-pinMemory Spec2GB x 4Memory Slot (Total)4Memory Slot (Available)0Maximum Memory Supported16GB

Hard Drive

HDD Capacity1TBHDD InterfaceSATA IIHDD RPM7200rpm
SSD is OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX80G 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Sound Card is Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002-8 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card

Temps are:
GPU: 60C
System: 39C
CPU: 39C
AUX: 37C
CPU: 52C
Local: 51C
Remote 2: 52C
HD0: 37C
Core 0: 32C

Voltage:
3Vsb: 3.42V
Vbat: 0.66V
Vcore: 0.87V
+12V: 11.40V
AVcc: 3.34V
3Vcc: 3.34V
Vcore: 3.00V
+3.3V: 3.23V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

What brand is the 800W PSU?

Where did you get the temps and voltage readings from? BIOS or program?

Quote:
+12V: 11.40V (close to being out of specs )
Follow the steps in the below link and attach the requested reports.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ta-452654.html
Old 07-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinu1der2 View Post
What brand is the 800W PSU?

Where did you get the temps and voltage readings from? BIOS or program?

Follow the steps in the below link and attach the requested reports.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ta-452654.html
It's not clear what the brand PSU is, it's not printed anywhere on it or noted anywhere online that I can find. This is a Xtreme, the mouse and keyboard are XtremeGear, I'm going to jump to a conclusion and say it might be XtremeGear, but I'm not sure.

The temps and voltage were pulled from SpeedFan..I'll go through BIOS and see what those numbers are and repost those in a bit.

Attached should be the requested reports, please let me know if you need additional info(aside from BIOS numbers).

Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: zip BSOD folder.zip (1.39 MB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Did you uninstall the previous graphics driver before updating?

Once you have the info from the BIOS post it back here.

Download and install HWMonitor and monitor the temp and voltage readings in Windows at idle and while gaming (post screenshot back here)
Old 07-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinu1der2 View Post
Did you uninstall the previous graphics driver before updating?

Once you have the info from the BIOS post it back here.

Download and install HWMonitor and monitor the temp and voltage readings in Windows at idle and while gaming (post screenshot back here)
Yes I did unistall the previous graphics drivers, rebooted in safe mode and grabbed the latest drivers from Nvidia's site. Same results(black screen to restart) with both those old and new drivers.

BIOS #s as follows:
CPU-44-55 C
MB- 30

CPU 1.216-1.224V
3.3V - 3.344V
5V - 5.112V
12V - 11.984V

Attached is the screenshots from HWMonitor. First one should be the one from idle, with the 2nd in game(though not that long as it shuts down within first couple minutes of being in game).

Maybe completely unrelated, but if I touch the rear of the computer at all to plug in a USB to change the speaker inputs it permanantly freezes the computer forcing a restart. Maybe a grounding issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	idle.PNG
Views:	38
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	112042   Click image for larger version

Name:	game.PNG
Views:	29
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	112043  
Old 07-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Not sure if this is at all related, but I experienced more problems with the AC in the room that the computer is in. The AC cycles and likely causes some kind of voltage flux. I have a decent APC UPS(XS 1000), that is off a different outlet. We have a cheap desktop attached to a much cheaper APC UPS(ES 350), and although that UPS will cycle at the same time the AC does, that computer is not affected.
Quote:
Maybe completely unrelated, but if I touch the rear of the computer at all to plug in a USB to change the speaker inputs it permanantly freezes the computer forcing a restart. Maybe a grounding issue?
It is possible that you have a grounding or power issue.

By chance have you tried using the PC on a different outlet or another location?

Highly suspicious of the PSU being used also.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
Registered Member

I have tried that, I had it running on extension cord that also had the AC plugged into it. I switched it to another outlet in the same room and same thing. I just moved her a few months ago and was having this same issue at my old place, so that tells me it's something in my machine.

So you think I should try swapping out the PSU and seeing the results? Can you recommend any brands or models that would be a safe bet?
Old 07-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...on-192217.html

XFX,Seasonic, Corsair (HX,TX, models) would all be a safe bet for efficiency and quality.

I would recommend at least a 750W Power Supply for your current setup.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Registered Member

Ok thanks, I'll pick one up and hopefully that will be the case. There's some bad feedback on the XtremeGear PSUs if that is infact what I have in mine installed.

I appreciate the help.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
Registered Member

Ended up purchasing this PSU, Newegg.com - XFX ProSeries P1-1000-BELX 1000W ATX12V V2.2 & ESP12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply Seemed to get a ton of really positive reviews and will give me the flexible to upgrade components and not worry about it.

Will update over the weekend the results. Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Okay keep us posted.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
Registered Member

We should be good, swapped the PSUs, turns out it was an ExtremeGear PSU. Played Diablo III for about a half hour with no issues, couldn't last 5 minutes before.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Okay Thanks for the update and hope everything keep working for you.
Closed Thread