Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Clean Install of Windows 10 leads to "Why did my pc restart" screen cycle

This is a discussion on Clean Install of Windows 10 leads to "Why did my pc restart" screen cycle within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Processor, tray ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING, Socket-AM4 HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 2666MHz 16GB (2x8GB)

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Corday

Old 01-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Processor, tray

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING, Socket-AM4

HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 2666MHz 16GB (2x8GB)

ASUS Radeon RX5700 XT ROG Strix OC

Corsair HX 650W PSU

Corsair SSD Force Series F60A, 60GB

WD Desktop Blue 500GB

Problem:
Home built brand new Pc except for PSU and both hard drives. Performed clean install using 16 gb usb and windows media creation tool. Installation proceeds without a problem until the screen informing you that the pc needs to perform a restart shows up, at which point the pc shuts off, then on again showing the manufacturers logo with the loading symol. It stays like that for several hours, occasionally blacking out the screen. At this point i leave it to do its thing over night. When i then turn the monitor back on, I'm greeted by the Windows 10 screen saying "Why did my pc restart?- There's a problem that's keeping us from getting your pc ready to use...." and so on. I make sure my pc is connected to the internet by cable, then click next eventually leads to the pc restarting again (this takes probably 5-10 minutes each time) leading back to the same screen.. and so on.

Attempts at a solution:
Strangely, making sure the pc is disconnected, then klicking next doesn't lead to choosing a wireless network but leads right to a restart, and ofc. the same screen.

I've updated the BIOS to fix a supposed compatibility issue with the 3000 ryzen series, although this fixed nothing.

changed PCI 16x.. to gen 3

Tried doing a clean install 3 more times, deleting all partitions and selecting the ssd for the install, with a new windows 10 usb (and product code) as well as a self made installation media. Didn't make a difference.

Disabled fast boot

Tried secure boot, though i've only been able to do this when booting from bought windows 10 media, which only leads to the windows 10 installation screen, with the option to troubleshoot-

startup repair says it doesn't work, system restore has no restore point (new pc :P)

Called Windows 10 which (surprise!) ... asked me to clean install from installation media xD

The only usb devices connected during install is keyboard and mouse. (currently doing a new install, but without the keyboard connected, hey you never know).

I'm not able to access safe boot by the 3x forced shutdown method, just leads to same thing.

At this point I'm struggling to find new things to try, I'm considering buying a new SSD. But before I spend any more money on a pc that doesn't work, I hope there is something I've missed.

I'm able to access cmd through booting from usb, so i guess troubleshooting from there is a possibility, but I don't know what to look for.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Adrian22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Try the ISO method.Another possibility is it's failing either because of a defective portable device or even though you have 16gbs on it your reused HD might be full.
Adrian22 likes this.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:11 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for replying! I've checked the usb, it currently has 3.87 gb used space and 10.5 gb free space. It says the file system is FAT32, and the drive was renamed ESD-USB in the process of making it. I could buy a new usb and try with that, although since the USB that came with the Windows 10 Home package led to the same issue, I assume (maybe wrongly) that the USB isn't at fault.

The ISO method then, would be to install Windows from a DVD?
Adrian22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2020, 06:39 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian22 View Post

Yes.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:46 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian22 View Post
Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

That's preferable if you are able to log in to the machine, if not:

Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Fetch the Win10 ISO File

Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive

One can always choose to burn the ISO as bootable to optical media rather than a USB drive provided the target machine has an optical drive that can read it. Those are becoming rarer these days, particularly in the world of laptops.