Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

BSOD Win7- unexpected shutdown

This is a discussion on BSOD Win7- unexpected shutdown within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a custom built PC that in recent weeks started to shut down unexpectedly as if the power was

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a custom built PC that in recent weeks started to shut down unexpectedly as if the power was shut off. This system is connected to a TV via HDMI and used for recording TV from cable and streaming internet video. The Event log shows event 41. Also - the digital tuner will periodically fail to detect a signal although the analog tuner behaves normally. This is probably unrelated but I mentioned it just in case.
I attached the autoruns output and system health check. Please advise how to diagnose and correct the problem.

OS - Windows 7
x64 ?
Win 7 64 bit retail
Age of system - 3 months
CPU AMD Athlon II X3 435 2.9Ghz
Video Card On board ATI ram is shared
MotherBoard- Gigabyte ga-ma785gt-ud3h
Power Supply - OCZ 600 watt
TV Tuner - ATI pcie 650 combo
RAM 2GB ddr3
Attached Files
File Type: zip Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2.zip (1.09 MB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

The perfmon report shows issues due to not having enough memory. This results in excessive pagefile usage and slows your system down drastically:
Quote:
Total Physical Memory: 1,534 MB
Available Physical Memory: 338 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size: 3,067 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 1,529 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use: 1,538 MB
Page File Location(s): C:\pagefile.sys
Please add more memory to the system as soon as you can. In the meantime, don't run more than one application at a time.

There are no memory dump files in the uploaded reports, please do the following:
Quote:
Upload Dump Files:
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder. Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there. If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP. If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service . I recommend Windows Live SkyDrive - https://skydrive.live.com or another free, file-hosting service. Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it.

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file): https://www.carrona.org/setmini.html
The MSINFO32 report shows one STOP 0x117 report from 15 Sep 2010. Here's a link to a description of the error: https://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000117
These errors are very similar to the STOP 0x116 error, so I'd suggest using this troubleshooting guide: https://www.sevenforums.com/crash-loc...eshooting.html

Please uninstall the Catalyst Control Center (from Control Panel...Programs...Uninstall a program). If you update your video drivers, please download the "Driver Only" package that is located BELOW the Catalyst Control Center on the download page.

Also, please uninstall the software for the ATI TV card, then remove the card from the system. It's possible that there's an issue with the card so removing it will help rule out both the TV card and the video card.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ok thanks for the feedback. I'm aware that memory is short. It has 2Gb, but .5Gb is allocated to Video so only 1.5Gb available. I don't think it has anything to do with the sudden power off problem and I have not had any performance issues. All this system is used for is TV recording and streaming video. However - you are correct that I need to put more memory in there.

I did not include any memory dump files because there aren't any.
I'll go through all of the other recommendations this weekend.

After my initial post, I noticed that the the CPU voltage was at 1.488 even though the max for this AMD CPU is 1.425. The BIOS is set at defaults with Auto in all of the options. Also, the BIOS is up to date.

I changed Auto to Manual and then selected "Normal" for the CPU voltage and now the BIOS and also other tools now report it at 1.424. So far, I have not had another event 41, but it has been less than two days.
Closed Thread