Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

BSOD > Repair > BSOD = New Problem

This is a discussion on BSOD > Repair > BSOD = New Problem within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay, I was not around while this happened but my parents computer randomly got a BSOD. She Restarted the computer

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Okay, I was not around while this happened but my parents computer randomly got a BSOD. She Restarted the computer and tried to run a windows repair which lead to something about mozilla firefox preventing Windows from starting up. After this she received another BSOD so she turned the computer off thinking it would be best to wait for someone who knew more about computer to help out.

Of course no one was at home while this happened so I'm just posting what she has told me. When I tried to turn it on to see what happened the computer turns on now but there is nothing popping up on the monitor. I've checked all the connections everything is plugged in properly I opened up the computer removed the RAM and I got a beep meaning the mother board/CPU is still alive. My guess is either the Power supply isn't good enough to boot everything up anymore or the Video card is dead but I want some clarification.

The original cause to this I believe is that my parents didn't have a Anti-virus for around 6 months and they browse the internet a lot and maybe went to some sites that gave them a worm which lead to this. I'm hoping that someone can help since my parents pretty much have given up hope and are considering buying a new computer but I wanna try everything before they even think of buying a new one since this one cost them around $1,500 and is only 1 year old.

Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Registered Member

Bump me please

Also The computer turns on as a whole just nothing shows up on the monitor so I can't give a direct code of the blue screen and my mother did not write it down.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

If you can't see anything at all when it boots, then it's most likely the:
- video card
- monitor
- cable

Try the monitor and cable on another computer. If it works, those 2 are OK. If it doesn't work, then try another cable.

To decide if it's the video card you'll have to try another video card. Maybe you can "borrow" one from another computer/friend - or they can purchase one that can be returned for a full refund (in case the video card isn't the problem).
Closed Thread