Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

BSOD on Vista after Service Pack 1 failed to install

This is a discussion on BSOD on Vista after Service Pack 1 failed to install within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was installing the Windows Vista Service Pack 1 so that I can install office 2010. The installation seemed to

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

I was installing the Windows Vista Service Pack 1 so that I can install office 2010. The installation seemed to fail and stall on a black screen with some text about the registry. I turned the computer off and took the battery out to make sure it was off. I waited 5 minutes and tried to boot up at that blue screen with the choice of "safe mode" and "recovery mode" etc. I tried all the options available and all have failed. I tried the Vista recovery disc and it failed to. I don't have a Vista installation disc and don't want to buy one. I do have a Windows XP installation disc. The question is: Can I install XP on my laptop over the Vista that is already installed? Please help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 04:18 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

NOTE: I have severe eye problems. If I do not respond to your postings, please PM another staff member for assistance.

I suggest starting all troubleshooting with the following diagnostic tests (located at this link: Hardware Diagnostics ). They'll save you a lot of time and heartache if there is a hardware failure, and you'll have the disks on hand in case you need them in the future:
Quote:
H/W Diagnostics:
Please start by running these bootable hardware diagnostics:
Memory Diagnostics (read the details at the link)
Hard Drive Diagnostics (read the details at the link) - Test ALL of the hard drives.

Also, please run one of these free, independent online malware scans to ensure that your current protection hasn't been compromised: Free Online AntiMalware Resources (read the details at the link)
There are also free, bootable antivirus disks at this link: Free Online AntiMalware Resources - Bootable Disks
You can attempt to install XP on the system - but you have to have a valid product key for XP that will work with the XP installation disk. You will have problems with getting drivers, so you'll need another computer to communicate with us while trying to get all the drivers (there is guarantee that you'll be able to get all the drivers that you'll need).

Start with the diagnostics above, that'll tell you if the system is sound enough to install Windows
Closed Thread