Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

BSOD on custom built desktop; help!

This is a discussion on BSOD on custom built desktop; help! within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. ∑ OS - Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ∑ What was original installed OS on system? Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ∑

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

∑ OS - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
∑ What was original installed OS on system? Windows 7 Ultimate x64
∑ Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? Full retail
∑ Age of system (hardware)? 1 year, although many BSODs have happened as soon as 3 months after new PC was built
∑ Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? 1 month, yes-- hard drive started failing after BSOD.

∑ i7 920
∑ GTS 250
∑ Asus Rampage GENE II
∑ Cosair 750W

∑ System Manufacturer: Custom built
∑ Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom): Custom built

I also should mention I run 4 SSD's in RAID 0 (long story as to why it's set up this way... gifts turned into doubles... don't ask), and I'm afraid that this expensive setup may be causing the biweekly crashes. I also have a 500GB HDD. These BSODs come and go, and last time they caused, (or my hard drive caused?), a BSOD that ended up with a dead SSD.

Well, I reinstalled a new SSD and it worked great for awhile... now they're back and I'm afraid.

I've attached what I believe is the correct BSOD info file. Let me know if you need anything else! Thanks in advance for the help!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Output.zip (1.35 MB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 05:48 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

NOTE: I have severe eye problems. If I do not respond to your postings, please PM another staff member for assistance.

Just FYI, we see a lot of issues with SSD's. Here's my notes:
Quote:
There's not a whole bunch available to test SSD's.
Here's what I suggest:
- Update the SSD's firmware to the latest available version
- Slow the memory (RAM) down to the next slower speed (I've only seen one person who claimed that this worked for them).
- Use any manufacturer's utilities that you may have. If you don't have any, then try this free one (I haven't used it myself): Crystal Dew World
- Update chipset and storage controller drivers to the latest available from the manufacturer of the device (not the manufacturer of the motherboard)
....NOTE: Recently (Nov 2011) we had BSOD issues with the Marvell 91xx controller and an SSD. You may have to swtich controllers also.-
Replace the SSD with a platter based hard drive and see if that stops the BSOD's. If it does, then it's likely that there's a problem with the SSD OR an incompatibility with your system.
You must install all updates - to include SP1 and subsequent updates (especially when using state of the art hardware). Please do the following:
Quote:
Installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1
1. Visit the PC manufacturer's website and update ALL drivers. DO NOT use Windows Update or the "Update drivers" function of Device Manager.
2. Check Device Manager for any unknown/disabled devices - if there are unknown/disabled devices, fix them with the latest drivers from the device manufacturer's website (not the PC Manufacturer)
3. Visit Windows Update and get all updates
4. Visit Windows Update and get Service Pack 1 (usually under Important Updates). Read these notes for installing SP1: Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center
5. Visit Windows Update and get any other available updates
No memory dumps in the attached upload. If you are using File/Disk cleanup utilities, please stop using them until we're finished troubleshooting. Also, please follow these instructions:
Quote:
Upload Dump Files:
NOTE: If using a disk cleaning utility, please stop using it while we are troubleshooting your issues.
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder. Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there. If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP. If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service . I recommend Windows Live SkyDrive - https://skydrive.live.com or another free, file-hosting service. Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it.

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file): Set MiniDump
MSINFO32 shows a STOP 0x101 error on 06 Jul 2011 - and no other BSOD errors since then.

MSINFO32 shows that you have Daemon Tools installed - it's a common source of BSOD's in Win7 systems. Please do this:
Quote:
Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on Win7 systems due to the sptd.sys driver.
Please uninstall the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration): DuplexSecure - FAQ
I would suggest running Startup Repair a minimum of 3 times using these instructions: Startup Repair - Windows 7 Forums

If that doesn't fix things, then I'd try these hardware diagnostics:
Quote:
H/W Diagnostics:
Please start by running these bootable hardware diagnostics:
Memory Diagnostics (read the details at the link)
HD Diagnostic (read the details at the link) - Test ALL of the hard drives.

Also, please run one of these free, independent online malware scans to ensure that your current protection hasn't been compromised: Free Online AntiMalware Resources (read the details at the link)
There are also free, bootable antivirus disks at this link: Free Online AntiMalware Resources - Bootable Disks
If that doesn't find anything, then I'd try installing Win7 on a platter based hard drive to test and see if the system is stable with that (which would then indicate problems between the mobo/storage controller and the SSD's).

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

NOTE: I have severe eye problems. If I do not respond to your postings, please PM another staff member for assistance.

Just FYI, we see a lot of issues with SSD's. Here's my notes:
Quote:
There's not a whole bunch available to test SSD's.
Here's what I suggest:
- Update the SSD's firmware to the latest available version
- Slow the memory (RAM) down to the next slower speed (I've only seen one person who claimed that this worked for them).
- Use any manufacturer's utilities that you may have. If you don't have any, then try this free one (I haven't used it myself): Crystal Dew World
- Update chipset and storage controller drivers to the latest available from the manufacturer of the device (not the manufacturer of the motherboard)
....NOTE: Recently (Nov 2011) we had BSOD issues with the Marvell 91xx controller and an SSD. You may have to swtich controllers also.-
Replace the SSD with a platter based hard drive and see if that stops the BSOD's. If it does, then it's likely that there's a problem with the SSD OR an incompatibility with your system.
You must install all updates - to include SP1 and subsequent updates (especially when using state of the art hardware). Please do the following:
Quote:
Installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1
1. Visit the PC manufacturer's website and update ALL drivers. DO NOT use Windows Update or the "Update drivers" function of Device Manager.
2. Check Device Manager for any unknown/disabled devices - if there are unknown/disabled devices, fix them with the latest drivers from the device manufacturer's website (not the PC Manufacturer)
3. Visit Windows Update and get all updates
4. Visit Windows Update and get Service Pack 1 (usually under Important Updates). Read these notes for installing SP1: Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center
5. Visit Windows Update and get any other available updates
No memory dumps in the attached upload. If you are using File/Disk cleanup utilities, please stop using them until we're finished troubleshooting. Also, please follow these instructions:
Quote:
Upload Dump Files:
NOTE: If using a disk cleaning utility, please stop using it while we are troubleshooting your issues.
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder. Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there. If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP. If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service . I recommend Windows Live SkyDrive - https://skydrive.live.com or another free, file-hosting service. Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it.

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file): Set MiniDump
MSINFO32 shows a STOP 0x101 error on 06 Jul 2011 - and no other BSOD errors since then.

MSINFO32 shows that you have Daemon Tools installed - it's a common source of BSOD's in Win7 systems. Please do this:
Quote:
Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on Win7 systems due to the sptd.sys driver.
Please uninstall the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration): DuplexSecure - FAQ
I would suggest running Startup Repair a minimum of 3 times using these instructions: Startup Repair - Windows 7 Forums

If that doesn't fix things, then I'd try these hardware diagnostics:
Quote:
H/W Diagnostics:
Please start by running these bootable hardware diagnostics:
Memory Diagnostics (read the details at the link)
HD Diagnostic (read the details at the link) - Test ALL of the hard drives.

Also, please run one of these free, independent online malware scans to ensure that your current protection hasn't been compromised: Free Online AntiMalware Resources (read the details at the link)
There are also free, bootable antivirus disks at this link: Free Online AntiMalware Resources - Bootable Disks
If that doesn't find anything, then I'd try installing Win7 on a platter based hard drive to test and see if the system is stable with that (which would then indicate problems between the mobo/storage controller and the SSD's).

Good luck!
Closed Thread