Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

BSOD ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe related

This is a discussion on BSOD ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe related within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all, I'm new around here and I'm finding myself in the position to request your help for a problem.

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello all,

I'm new around here and I'm finding myself in the position to request your help for a problem.

My computer keeps crashing on me and the crashes seem to follow no apparent pattern. I tried reinstalling Windows twice (formatting the hard drive), my system and drivers are up to date, but the problem persists. After some digging around I found that it is ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe related. This is what the minidump indicates when opened with BlueScreenView. I don't know what to do anymore.

Following the guidelines for BSOD posting I am attaching the perfmon /report html file and the BSOD analysis in rar format.

The other info needed are:

Windows 7
x64
The computer came with no OS installed
The OS was burned to a DVD from an image volume licensed by my university.
October 16, 2012. The computer was bought February 2013.
February 2013. Yes, the system was re-installed.

CPU: Intel Core i3, 2,2 Ghz
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 610M, 1Ghz
MotherBoard: Lenovo Standard
Power Supply: Lenovo Standard

System Manufacturer: Lenovo
Model No: : Lenovo G580
Attached Files
File Type: rar error report.rar (1.17 MB, 21 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Registered Member

Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post
Hello all,

I'm new around here and I'm finding myself in the position to request your help for a problem.

My computer keeps crashing on me and the crashes seem to follow no apparent pattern. I tried reinstalling Windows twice (formatting the hard drive), my system and drivers are up to date, but the problem persists. After some digging around I found that it is ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe related. This is what the minidump indicates when opened with BlueScreenView. I don't know what to do anymore.

Following the guidelines for BSOD posting I am attaching the perfmon /report html file and the BSOD analysis in rar format.

The other info needed are:

Windows 7
x64
The computer came with no OS installed
The OS was burned to a DVD from an image volume licensed by my university.
October 16, 2012. The computer was bought February 2013.
February 2013. Yes, the system was re-installed.

CPU: Intel Core i3, 2,2 Ghz
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 610M, 1Ghz
MotherBoard: Lenovo Standard
Power Supply: Lenovo Standard

System Manufacturer: Lenovo
Model No: : Lenovo G580
Old 09-18-2013, 01:55 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi,

Two dump files, two bugchecks:

NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM (24)

This indicates that a problem occurred within Ntfs.sys (the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS drives). Corruption in the NTFS file system or in blocks (sectors) on the hard disk can cause this error. Corrupted SCSI and EIDE drivers can also adversely affect the systems ability to read and write to disk, thus causing the error.

NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS (35)

This bug check occurs when the IoCallDriver packet has no more stack locations remaining.

A higher-level driver has attempted to call a lower-level driver through the IoCallDriver interface, but there are no more stack locations in the packet. This will prevent the lower-level driver from accessing its parameters.

This is a disastrous situation, since the higher level driver is proceeding as if it has filled in the parameters for the lower level driver (as required). But since there is no stack location for the latter driver, the former has actually written off the end of the packet. This means that some other memory has been corrupted as well.

First off I am going to recommend enabling Driver Verifier to ensure we're not dealing with any 3rd party device drivers causing corruption and or conflicts:

Driver Verifier:

What is Driver Verifier?

Driver Verifier is included in Windows 8, 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 to promote stability and reliability; you can use this tool to troubleshoot driver issues. Windows kernel-mode components can cause system corruption or system failures as a result of an improperly written driver, such as an earlier version of a Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver.

Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be at issue, enabling Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver if it detects a violation.

Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
Windows 8 - Restore Point - Create in Windows 8

How to enable Driver Verifier:

Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -

1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check the following boxes -
- Special Pool
- Pool Tracking
- Force IRQL Checking
- Deadlock Detection
- Security Checks (Windows 7)
- Concurrentcy Stress Test (Windows 8)
- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
- Miscellaneous Checks
4. Select - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.
6. Check EVERY box that is NOT provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.
7. Click on Finish.
8. Restart.

Important information regarding Driver Verifier:

- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD.

- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows because Driver Verifier will flag it, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.

If this happens, do not panic, do the following:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.

- Choose the restore point you created earlier.
If you did not set up a restore point, do not worry, you can still disable Driver Verifier to get back into normal Windows:

- Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.

- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.
・ Restart and boot into normal Windows.

How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?

It varies, many experts and analysts have different recommendations. Personally, I recommend keeping it enabled for at least 24 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier.

My system BSOD'd, where can I find the crash dumps?

They will be located in %systemroot%\Minidump

Any other questions can most likely be answered by this article:
Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users

Regards,

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

So, I kept driver verifier enabled for 24 hours and the computer did not crash once. What should I do next?

Am I to understand that the HDD is defective?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Let's run some hardware diagnostics starting with a Memtest for NO LESS than ~8 passes and if that passes, move into hard disk diagnostics:

Memtest86+:

Download Memtest86+ here:

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Which should I download?

You can either download the pre-compiled ISO that you would burn to a CD and then boot from the CD, or you can download the auto-installer for the USB key. What this will do is format your USB drive, make it a bootable device, and then install the necessary files. Both do the same job, it's just up to you which you choose, or which you have available (whether it's CD or USB).

How Memtest works:

Memtest86 writes a series of test patterns to most memory addresses, reads back the data written, and compares it for errors.

The default pass does 9 different tests, varying in access patterns and test data. A tenth test, bit fade, is selectable from the menu. It writes all memory with zeroes, then sleeps for 90 minutes before checking to see if bits have changed (perhaps because of refresh problems). This is repeated with all ones for a total time of 3 hours per pass.

Many chipsets can report RAM speeds and timings via SPD (Serial Presence Detect) or EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles), and some even support changing the expected memory speed. If the expected memory speed is overclocked, Memtest86 can test that memory performance is error-free with these faster settings.

Some hardware is able to report the "PAT status" (PAT: enabled or PAT: disabled). This is a reference to Intel Performance acceleration technology; there may be BIOS settings which affect this aspect of memory timing.

This information, if available to the program, can be displayed via a menu option.

Any other questions, they can most likely be answered by reading this great guide here:

FAQ : please read before posting

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chkdsk:

Chkdsk:
There are various ways to run Chkdsk~

Method 1:

Start > Search bar > Type cmd (right click run as admin to execute Elevated CMD)

Elevated CMD should now be opened, type the following:

chkdsk x: /r

x implies your drive letter, so if your hard drive in question is letter c, it would be:

chkdsk c: /r

Restart system and let chkdsk run.

Method 2:

Open the "Computer" window
Right-click on the drive in question
Select the "Tools" tab
In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

If you'd like to get a log file that contains the chkdsk results, do the following:

Press Windows Key + R and type powershell.exe in the run box

Paste the following command and press enter afterwards:

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

This will output a .txt file on your Desktop containing the results of the chkdsk.

If chkdsk turns out okay, run Seatools -

SeaTools | Seagate

You can run it via Windows or DOS. Do note that the only difference is simply the environment you're running it in. In Windows, if you are having what you believe to be device driver related issues that may cause conflicts or false positive, it may be a wise decision to choose the most minimal testing environment (DOS).

Run all tests EXCEPT: Fix All, Long Generic, and anything Advanced.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 09-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
Registered Member

Chkdsk says the HDD is okay, Seatools found a problem:

--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.2.0.8 ---------------
9/20/2013 3:18:07 PM
Model: ST9500325AS
Serial Number: S2WQ2YMT
Firmware Revision: 0011LVM1
SMART - Pass 9/20/2013 3:18:06 PM
Short DST - Started 9/20/2013 3:18:28 PM
Short DST - FAIL 9/20/2013 3:18:44 PM
SeaTools Test Code: E79FF0EE
Identify - Started 9/20/2013 3:19:43 PM
Short DST - Started 9/20/2013 3:39:58 PM
Short DST - FAIL 9/20/2013 3:40:45 PM
SeaTools Test Code: E79FF0EE

I've tried using Seatools for DOS as indicated by Seatools for Windows but the program does not detect my HDD.

Now that I have a culprit I can send my computer for service.

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers,
Adrian
Old 09-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Great work, yes, it does appear that Seatools failed Short DST which implies a faulty hard disk.

Regards,

Patrick
Closed Thread