Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

BSOD + loud buzzing Hours and Hours tied up

This is a discussion on BSOD + loud buzzing Hours and Hours tied up within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello Tech Support! I have been experiencing an unstable desktop pc for about eight weeks now. I need help!! This

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello Tech Support!
I have been experiencing an unstable desktop pc for about eight weeks now. I need help!! This pc is eighteen months old, purchased from ibuypower. It is running the original OS, OEM win7 64 bit which I freshly reinstalled last week. BSOD crashes, hardlock crashes, distorted image followed by a loud buzzing. Replaced the video card with another XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870, still crashing. Updated video driver, updated BIOS, ran disk check, ran sfc /scannow no integrity violations, ran mem86 for ten passes no errors, removed two memory stixs still crashing, put stixs in other two slots, still crashing. Tried two other stixs still crashing. Temps look good.
Have not tried driver verifier yet. A complete noob here. Would you please help me?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mitchell PC Report.zip (147.8 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Registered Member

Asus M4A87TD EVO AMD 870 AMD Phenom ll X6 1090T Black Edition Six-Core CPU 8 GB DDR3-1600 XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB 850W PSU Cooler MAster HAF 922

oops. Here are the specs. Thought they would show up with my name. Sorry about that.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Support Visiting Expert
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to zigzag3143

We really need the actual DMP files created when the computer BSOD. Please use this link to find and upload the files.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ta-452654.html

Please also upload the event viewer logs as there may be helpful info there.

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
Expand Custom Views
Click Administrative Events
Right click Administrative Events
Save all Events in Custom View As...
Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the .zip file here, to skydrive or a file sharing service

Team ZigZag3143
MS-MVP Consumer Expert 2010-2016
MCC 2013-2016
Wanikiya & Dyami

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Registered Member

Okay. Here is the event viewer log.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Errors.zip (23.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Registered Member

And the BSOD log(Hopefully I've done this correctly)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2.zip (938.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Registered Member

About those temps being okay. Here is two screenshots. One in idle and one during game play. What do you think about the voltage and temps?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Voltage Idle Report.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	112217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Voltage Idle Report3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	112218  
Old 07-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Motherboard specifications -
ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS M4A87TD EVO

Have you tweaked the bios or overclocked anything?
Reset mode to "nominal mode", anything else will cause errors.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Registered Member

If it overclocked, it did it itself. I have never tried overclocking it, I am a computer noob. Can you tell from the provided info if it is being overclocked? How do I switch it back to nominal mode if it is in the wrong mode?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Registered Member

I did take the pc to a computer repair place. They said all of the hardware checked out fine with their repair programs, except for a memtest wouldn't start. They took out one stick of ram and then the pc ran through the memtest with no errors. They suggested keeping out the one stick of ram and see what happens. It still crashed, no help, but it cost $$$. They were never able to see it blue screen, and I saw it within minutes of setting the pc back up and playing a Steam game.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
Registered Member

Should I go into the bios and change voltage from offset to manual?
Old 07-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
Registered Member

Was on the web when my computer died!! Three loud popping sounds followed by electrical smell. Startled the dog and me both. Opened the case, but saw no busted capacitators, burn marks, or anything. Smell seemed to be coming from the GPU.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
Registered Member

That can be the case, GPU's can burn out of are overheating, not getting enough power or are full of dust. Try taking out your GPU and placing in a working one, just to see if that is the problem. However, you don't seem to be unlucky, so I suggest to look at your PSU (Power Block) because it is more than expected for a bad quality PSU to burn out in a short period of time.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Registered Member

Wouldn't putting a new GPU into this system run the risk of burning the new GPU up too?
I purchased a new XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870 a month ago, figuring that a bad graphics adapter was what was causing the BSOD, crashes, and distorted images. But after installing the new one, I still experienced problems, so I put the original XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870 back in.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
Registered Member

The power supply is a 850 watt Thermaltake TR2 W0319RU
Bad quality?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

I had a buzzing noise too but I have 3 computers at this desk that I use in rotation for different things. I actually dismantled one of the PC's replaced the PSU, and the buzzing noise continued. The actual noise was coming from the powerboard where I had the power cord connected. This meant a replacement of a $40 power board. The noise no longer buzzed but one of my other PC's ( the one where I do audio editing and compiling and VB programming) the one where the power lead went to, no longer boots up.

The psu still works but no hdd boot. I haven't checked the full damage yet but hopefully it is just a PSU problem short circuit or something.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
Registered Member

I need to clarify that the buzzing noise I am referring to is only when the computer crashes to blue screen. It is not constantly sounding. Please, will you answer some of my questions?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

The buzzing noise could be coming from the fan on the video card or it could be a loose wire too close to the CPU fan or a case fan, or the actual PSU has somehow got dust in it.

Considering that you got the SOD (Smell of Death), it's possible that your GPU is fried.

I wouldn't advise turning on the PC until you identify the source of the smell.

The PSU is a good brand but go have a whiff (smell) at the exhaust part to see if the semll is coming from the PSU.

If you are not sure, you are best to take the whole PC to a repair shop.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #18
Registered Member

Here's the continuation of my story.
I shipped the pc back to ibuypower, $65.00 plus days.
I learned to call them if you want the process to go quicker.
They identified the problem as the graphics card, which I had already purchase a new one and had still had problems.
Anyway, I gave the green light for them to install yet another gpu, $185.
The pc was returned to me after days and another $65.00 for shipping.
It worked for a week, and then I went to power it on and nothing...dead as a door nail.
Figuring it was now definitely the power supply, I went to the manufacturer of the psu for an rma number, and overnighted it to them, $65.
I called them three days later and they said another psu was on its way.
Five days later I received the psu, installed it and everything seems to be working fine now.
So, more than one major component in a pc can go faulty at the same time. It is difficult to identify which one is going bad until it completely fails.
What a frustrating and timely event!
It took almost three months to resolve my pc problems.
Are computer repair experts not trained adequately to test a power supply unit?
Two experts failed me, the community repair who charged $$ and found nothing and ibuypower tech ($130 shipping total both ways) who returned the computer, only to have it fail within six days.
I am happy to say that the pc is operating smoothly now! And I now have two additional gpu, one to crossfire and the other as a backup.
Thankfully XFX was an excellent company handling their rma's. Thermaltake was efficient too.
Ibuypower, well, the phone holds were ridiculous! Like an hour or two! They have a call return service which still confines one to be near the phone and the computer. You have to pay shipping both ways. They will not send you a box to return your pc to them in. It is very difficult to find a large enough box to ship it back to them in. Fedex and UPS boxes that a mid sized tower would fit in were way too big. Make sure you keep all your original boxes and shipping material, they may come in handy in a year or two!
When a computer is acting up, sometimes the SOD is a welcomed thing, at least now you know exactly which component is faulty....or could there be more than one problem? Very possible.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #19
Registered Member

Yet another continuation. My pc started getting BSOD randomly again as well as colorful horizontal lines on the screen followed by shutdown. Purchased some Artic Silver 5 thermal compound, removed the cooling unit from the Computer Processing Unit, cleaned old compound off both, reapplied thermal compound and reinstalled cooling unit. No joy. The pc would hang at boot up. So, removed cooling unit again and removed CPU and reinstalled PCU, rebooted pc, chose restore default settings and JOY JOY JOY. The pc is running great now. The CPU was not working, it was not seated properly. My computer is running like new now that the Computer Processing Unit is seated properly.
Closed Thread