Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

BSOD crash files submission

This is a discussion on BSOD crash files submission within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I would be most grateful if my attached files could be analyzed for the repeated BSOD events I am

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I would be most grateful if my attached files could be analyzed for the repeated BSOD events I am experiencing. This morning I have already had seven blue screens. This has been a problem for a few weeks but usually only occuring once every couple of days. Now it is far worse.

Here are the details as requested:

OS - Windows 7
x64
What was original installed OS on system Windows 7
OS is an OEM version.
Age of system (hardware) 1.5 years
Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? Not applicable.

CPU Intel Core i7 2600
Video Card AMD Radeon HD 6570
MotherBoard Packard Bell extreme M5850
Power Supply - brand & wattage not sure.

System Manufacturer Packard Bell
Exact model number ixtreme M5850

The BDOD events occur seemingly at random, but I do have a browser open most of the time, typically Firefox (14.0.1) which is repeatedly crashing itself so I have switched to Chrome. That said, sometimes the BSOD occurs straight after bootup, before launching any programs.

Anyway, any advice would be hugely appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
David
Attached Files
File Type: zip BSOD submission dbell.zip (2.43 MB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 04:21 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello and welcome to TSF!

Three attached dumps, two mentioning memory management and one memory corruption. Both of these tied together usually indicated memory issues, but it can be driver related as well. First off though, I'm going to recommend running Memtest86+

Memtest86+:

Quote:
Download Memtest86+ here:
Quote:

https://www.memtest.org/

Which should I download?

You can either download the pre-compiled ISO that you would burn to a CD and then boot from the CD, or you can download the auto-installer for the USB key. What this will do is format your USB drive, make it a bootable device, and then install the necessary files. Both do the same job, it's just up to you which you choose, or which you have available (whether it's CD or USB).

How Memtest works:

Memtest86 writes a series of test patterns to most memory addresses, reads back the data written, and compares it for errors.

The default pass does 9 different tests, varying in access patterns and test data. A tenth test, bit fade, is selectable from the menu. It writes all memory with zeroes, then sleeps for 90 minutes before checking to see if bits have changed (perhaps because of refresh problems). This is repeated with all ones for a total time of 3 hours per pass.

Many chipsets can report RAM speeds and timings via SPD (Serial Presence Detect) or EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles), and some even support changing the expected memory speed. If the expected memory speed is overclocked, Memtest86 can test that memory performance is error-free with these faster settings.

Some hardware is able to report the "PAT status" (PAT: enabled or PAT: disabled). This is a reference to Intel Performance acceleration technology; there may be BIOS settings which affect this aspect of memory timing.

This information, if available to the program, can be displayed via a menu option.

Any other questions, they can most likely be answered by reading this great guide here:

https://forum.canardpc.com/threads/28864-FAQ-please-read-before-posting

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Patrick,

Many thanks for your very quick reply! I'll get right on it and let you know...

Regards,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 05:25 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Sounds great :)

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi Patrick,

The test has been running for just over three hours. It completed 2 passes and returned zero errors.

mmmm... I was hoping for an error but I guess it is something else. Any further ideas?

Thanks,
David
Old 08-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Let it run longer, for 7-8 passes at least. If there are still no errors that much in, let me know.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
Registered Member

Patrick, apologies for the very late reply as the past week has been absolutely manic.

So instead of running the memtest again, I ran Chkdsk on my C drive again. The first time I did this, with only the "automatically fix file system errors", it came up clean with no errors. Then I repeated the exercise, but this time also enabling "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". This was started at around 1am in the morning and as it was going to take hours, so I went to bed. When I got up the following morning there was no report of what happened, but I just logged in and since then the system has been rock sold with no blue screens (5 days now).

So it seems like it must have been a "bad sector" causing the problems all along. Anyway, thank you very much for your generous help!

Regards,
David
Closed Thread