Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe

This is a discussion on BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had two BSOD crashes in the last 5 days and I am worried, the screen gave Memory Managment error

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

I had two BSOD crashes in the last 5 days and I am worried, the screen gave Memory Managment error and looking into the crash I found that it was ntoskrnl.exe that caused it. Please help
Thanks Titanicoso
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi,

Please refer to the following and reply back accordingly with the required information - https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ta-452654.html

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-22-2014, 12:42 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanicoso View Post
I had two BSOD crashes in the last 5 days and I am worried, the screen gave Memory Managment error and looking into the crash I found that it was ntoskrnl.exe that caused it. Please help
Thanks Titanicoso
Also, before going too far down the road investigating possible software causes, I noticed in your other recent thread that you were thinking of upgrading your system memory. Did you actually install new RAM?

Whether you did or not but especially if you did it couldn't hurt to test the computer's memory. You can use either Windows' built-in Memory Diagnostics Tool, or by downloading and creating bootable CD/USB media for the excellent memtest86+.

Thorough testing is a slow process (memtest86+ can take hours on a multi-gigabyte system), but necessary in order to identify even the smallest problems. It's best to set the test running overnight or something, and then check back in the morning to see if it flagged any issues. (If so, that doesn't necessarily mean your RAM is defective, the issue could just be a bad BIOS setting.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 01:02 AM   #4
Registered Member

Here I send you the things you need:
Desktop Windows 7 Home Premium x64 original, I purchased it, the system is most of all not more than 2-3 years old the RAM is a bit older maybe 5-6. I reinstalled Windows reciently but before I had the same problem. I have a Intel I7 3770k 3.5 Ghz, a Nvidia Gtx 760, a Sabertooth z77, a Termaltake Purepower 600w. The HDD Diagnostic had no issues but the RAM one says that it has a hardware problem.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2.rar (2.01 MB, 29 views)
Old 07-22-2014, 03:38 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to Jared

0x1A MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

This bugcheck indicates a severe memory management error occurred and the system stop.

Code:
BugCheck 1A, {41790, fffffa80057d3500, ffff, 0}
More specifically a page table page has been corrupted, let's look into this a bit more.

Code:
7: kd> dt nt!_MMPFN fffffa80057d3500
   +0x000 u1               : <unnamed-tag>
   +0x008 u2               : <unnamed-tag>
   +0x010 PteAddress       : 0xfffff6fb`40000908 _MMPTE
   +0x010 VolatilePteAddress : 0xfffff6fb`40000908 Void
   +0x010 Lock             : 0n1073744136
   +0x010 PteLong          : 0xfffff6fb`40000908
   +0x018 u3               : <unnamed-tag>
   +0x01c UsedPageTableEntries : 0xffff
   +0x01e VaType           : 0 ''
   +0x01f ViewCount        : 0 ''
   +0x020 OriginalPte      : _MMPTE
   +0x020 AweReferenceCount : 0n128
   +0x028 u4               : <unnamed-tag>
The page table entry count has fallen below zero which is normally caused a 3rd party driver calling MmUnlockPages more than once in a linked list.

No specific driver is being identified in the callstack so I'll have to take an educated guess at the usual programs and if that fails we'll enable Driver Verifier.

Remove these programs:

Code:
Start Menu\Programs\ASUS\AI Suite II	Public:Start Menu\Programs\ASUS\AI Suite II	Public
Start Menu\Programs\ASUS\ASUS Boot Setting	Public:Start Menu\Programs\ASUS\ASUS Boot Setting	Public
Start Menu\Programs\ASUS\ASUS WebStorage	Public:Start Menu\Programs\ASUS\ASUS WebStorage	Public
Start Menu\Programs\ASUS\Disk Unlocker	Public:Start Menu\Programs\ASUS\Disk Unlocker	Public
Start Menu\Programs\ASUS\PC Diagnostics	Public:Start Menu\Programs\ASUS\PC Diagnostics	Public
Start Menu\Programs\Avast	Public:Start Menu\Programs\Avast	Public
Start Menu\Programs\DAEMON Tools Ultra	Titanicoso-PC\Titanicoso:Start Menu\Programs\DAEMON Tools Ultra	Titanicoso-PC\Titanicoso
The ASUS bloatware is very troublesome, especially AI Suite II which should be removed, Avast can cause such issues so as a test remove it and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials, finally Daemon Tools is a well known cause of BSODs as the device driver used is very buggy and unreliable.

If none of this helps then enable Driver Verifier

(At the moment I'm too lazy to write my own instructions regarding DV so I'll use Patrick's, I doubt he'll mind.)

What is Driver Verifier?

Driver Verifier monitors Windows kernel-mode drivers, graphics drivers, and even 3rd party drivers to detect illegal function calls or actions that might corrupt the system. Driver Verifier can subject the Windows drivers to a variety of stresses and tests to find improper behavior.

Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be causing the issues at hand, enabling Driver Verifier will help us see which specific driver is causing the problem.

Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"

How to enable Driver Verifier:

Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -

1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check the following boxes -
- Special Pool
- Pool Tracking
- Force IRQL Checking
- Deadlock Detection
- Security Checks (Windows 7 & 8/8.1)
- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8/8.1)
- Miscellaneous Checks
4. Select - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.
6. Check EVERY box that is NOT provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.
7. Click on Finish.
8. Restart.

Important information regarding Driver Verifier:

- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD. To expand on this a bit more for the interested, specifically what Driver Verifier actually does is it looks for any driver making illegal function calls, causing memory leaks, etc. When and/if this happens, system corruption occurs if allowed to continue. When Driver Verifier is enabled per my instructions above, it is monitoring all 3rd party drivers (as we have it set that way) and when it catches a driver attempting to do this, it will quickly flag that driver as being a troublemaker, and bring down the system safely before any corruption can occur.

- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows because Driver Verifier will detect it in violation almost straight away, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.

If this happens, do not panic, do the following:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.

- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.
・ Restart and boot into normal Windows.

If your OS became corrupt or you cannot boot into Windows after disabling verifier via Safe Mode:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.

- Choose the restore point you created earlier.

-- Note that Safe Mode for Windows 8/8.1 is a bit different, and you may need to try different methods: 5 Ways to Boot into Safe Mode in Windows 8 & Windows 8.1

How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?

I recommend keeping it enabled for at least 24 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier. I will usually say whether or not I'd like for you to keep it enabled any longer.

My system BSOD'd with Driver Verifier enabled, where can I find the crash dumps?

- If you have the system set to generate Small Memory Dumps, they will be located in %systemroot%\Minidump.

- If you have the system set to generate Kernel-Memory Dumps, it will be located in %systemroot% and labeled MEMORY.DMP.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
Registered Member

Before you replied I had done the verifier and got the BSOD a few times so I diabled it, I send you the dmp files.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Minidump.rar (41.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

- You haven't removed and replaced avast!.

- You haven't uninstalled all of the Asus bloatware (I see AiChargerPlus, etc).

- You haven't uninstalled Daemon Tools.

Please do so as Jared instructed.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
Registered Member

I am running memtest86 and I can see that up to test 9 it has 1 pass and 594 errors. I have also uninstalled and i will check on that when the test finishes
Old 07-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

If memtest86 found errors then there is either a DIMM slot fault on your motherboard or (most likely this) faulty RAM.
Change your RAM sticks around to test whether it's the motherboard or RAM.

How many RAM sticks have you got?
Old 07-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
Registered Member

I have 4 sticks but i have bought new ones so when i recieve them I will test if it is the motherboard or if it were the previous RAM. Is it possible that this BSOD was caused by faulty RAM or is there another factor involved here?
Old 07-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I believe something else is causing it, those programs you have installed are very problematic that it wouldn't surprise me.
Normally 41790 0x1A bugchecks are caused by 3rd party programs but bad RAM can cause it.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

You have bad RAM, as Jared said. Memtest does not run within the OS environment at all, so software conflicts are not possible.

You can run one stick at a time now to determine which is the faulty stick. I usually advise against this as it's generally pointless given if you're replacing RAM, you're replacing all of the sticks with new sticks regardless of whether or not one of them is faulty, otherwise you're mixing and matching RAM which is bad.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

The only reason I ask to do that is so you can determine between bad motherboard slots or bad RAM but to be honest it's a lot more rare for bad DIMM slots to occur, bad RAM is far more common.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #14
Registered Member

Thank you very much for the help, I will wait until I have the new RAM and see if it has any problems, I will also try without the software that you told me and see what is the problem.
Closed Thread