Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe ~30mins.

This is a discussion on BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe ~30mins. within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Cpu: i5-3570k Memory: 2x4gb Cosair Vengence Video Card: Nvidia Gtx 570 Os: Vista 64 sp2 ( around 3 years old

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #1
Registered Member

Cpu: i5-3570k
Memory: 2x4gb Cosair Vengence
Video Card: Nvidia Gtx 570
Os: Vista 64 sp2 ( around 3 years old never reinstalled)
Power Supply: Cosair gs700 (700w)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77x-D3H

Except for main hard drive and vista hardware is all new. Drivers are all up to date.
Now the problem is that every time I log on I keep getting a bsod. I dont know what the cause is so I would like your expert opinion guys to help me sort this out. using blue screen viewer gave me "ntoskrnl.exe " as the culprit....
Hopefully ye can see whats wrong that I can't and help me.
Thank you for your time!
Attached Files
File Type: rar Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2.rar (1.60 MB, 30 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello Godrichman and welcome to TSF!

I looked at a bunch of attached dumps, and they were all *A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bugchecks. I went about 5-6 dumps, all pointed to memory corruption.. and then I get to one that gives a driver culprit, finally.

It's reporting that the probably caused by fault is mfehidk.sys, which is the
McAfee Host Intrusion Detection Link Driver. Given the incredible consistency of the memory corruption and *A bugchecks, McAfee is likely causing the issue.

If possible, which it should be, boot into Safe Mode and fully uninstall McAfee from your system from troubleshooting purposes. Rather than the traditional method of uninstallation via Control Panel, use the following tool:

https://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

After you've removed it, restart and try booting into Windows again.

Driver(s) in need of update:

Quote:
rtlprot.sys - Fri Apr 20 05:16:48 2007 (Realtek RtlProt Wireless LAN Utility Protocol Driver). Update if available here.
Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Patrick,
Thanks for the swift and informative reply. I did as you asked with regard to Mcafee and reinstalled it. Computer was running fine for over an hour when another one happened this time titled "memory management"....Could this still be the same driver or is it something else now?

Also not using a realtek driver as far as I know with the new motherboard is an Atheros Gigabit controller which is up to date.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2.rar (1.27 MB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hello,

Now that we're seeing memory management mixed with the memory corruption, I'm going to recommend running Memtest to be sure your RAM itself is not the issue by using Memtest86+:

RAM - Test with Memtest86+ - Windows 7 Forums

I recommend no less than 6-7 passes. This will take multiple hours, so run before sleep or work.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi I'm back again.......
Well ran the memtest like you suggested and didn't turn up anything, Ran it 6 times. I also tried running with one stick at a time and still the same thing.
I left Mcafee uninstalled for the time being while the problem is still around. Disabled the onboard gpu and used driver sweeper to uninstall my nvidia card and reinstalled with up to date drivers.
After that I was able to run the pc for 8 hours without a bsod but then back to them. Im at my wits end here. :(
Attached files from recent bsods.

Thank you for your patience!
Attached Files
File Type: rar Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2.rar (1.76 MB, 22 views)
Old 07-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Registered Member

Don't know if this has anything to do with it but I was rooting through the dump files.....It highloghts msiexec.exe but a google such says its a critcal microsoft file. Have run sfc through cmd and every time I run it it finds some file or orther to repair. Also have updated to the latest .NET fframework files through windows update but unfortuanately I'm still getting them(BSODs)!

Attached here is a portion of the debug text. Any thoughts or ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: txt debug.txt (3.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hello,

Lots of memory corruption in the recent dumps. You ran Memtest and there were no errors, so I am beginning to think this may be OS corruption or something else.

If I may, would a clean install be an option to you that you'd be okay with? If so, that would give us a solid answer as to whether or not this is a hardware issue or if it was just OS corruption. A clean install is simply formatting the drive and reinstalling Windows.

If you're not okay with that, I'd recommend a repair install:

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #8
Registered Member

Hey!

I am at the moment backing up my files onto another hard drive in preparation for a format and clean install of vista.

In the mean time I had driver verifier running and it caught 3 bsods. Looking at the mini dumps shows svchost.exe. So checking that using the command function showed a "Mcafee protection validation service" running. Iv'e also found it running under services in the task manager and it won't let me disable it. I also can't turn it off in msconfig as it automatically checks itself back on. It is called "mfevtp" I can't seem to find it at all in the folders so I don't know how to get rid of it. I've run windows essentials, malwarebytes twice and spybot search and destroy and they didn't find anything. I would appreciate any thoughts on how to stop it/get rid of it.

Thank you for all your help so far and for making me learn how to read and analyse dumps somewhat

P.S.- I have also run the tool that you provided to uninstall mcafee.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

Oh boy.

Yeah, I've googled that interestingly enough, and McAfee's exact response is:

Quote:
This service is protected due to its integral necessity for McAfee services to function, and to hinder attempts to bypass our protection mechanisms and other root-kit behaviors.
It is not meant to ever be stopped.
Some response, eh?

Give this a try:

Quote:
Startup type : Windows Service
Service Name : mfevtp
Display Name : McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service
Dll path : Not Answered.
Image path : C:\Windows\system32\mfevtps.exe
Current Status : Auto/Running

How to disable this service.
Open a command prompt. (Run a command prompt as Administrator in Windows vista/7)
Copy command line and Paste.
sc stop "mfevtp"
sc config "mfevtp" start= disabled

How to delete this service.
sc delete "mfevtp"

Done.!
Close the command prompt.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #10
Registered Member

Okay tried to do that but this is what happens- [SC] OpenService FAILED 5: Access is denied.

Seems like this is going to be tough to get rid of....
Old 07-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

Try doing it in elevated command prompt (running cmd as admin).

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #12
Registered Member

Hi Patrick yeah that is what I have used. Tried it a few more times and still the same "Access is denied"
Old 07-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hmm, well, if that stupid service is there, is must have been installed at some time?

Have you tried the official McAfee uninstaller?

https://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

Regards,

Patrick
Closed Thread