Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

BSOD...at it Again

This is a discussion on BSOD...at it Again within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. JCGriff tutored me on this a couple of months ago. Once again I'm blacking out and coming back up. I

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

JCGriff tutored me on this a couple of months ago. Once again I'm blacking out and coming back up.

I did go to Advanced Micro Systems and finally after learning enough to know which update was needed, I downloaded what I thought would be the fix to the usbfilter.sys issue...and updated but certainly not the latest/greatest Radeon driver. Crashed again and I re-downloaded the driver moments ago.

Last night there was a pretty heavy rain storm here in Honduras. Power went out momentarily in the house and my computer went down even though it is on a surge protection device. We learned about it this a.m. and have been dealing with possible solutions. But Dick has run out of guesses and suggested we contact the Pros again.

I've forgotten all of the steps I am to take in getting you involved...I remember something about a link to PERFMON and another one that was zipped. If you can please tell me what to send you and how to access it and then send it in the form you want to analyze the current problem, I'll do my best. I do have Who Crashed and Blue Screen View and I've run them. They seem to indicate the same problem as before. Can someone please help? Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SysnativeFileCollectionApp-ANewman-1of2-060616.PNG
Views:	51
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	284161   Click image for larger version

Name:	SysnativeFileCollectionApp-ANewman-2of2-060616.PNG
Views:	65
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	284169   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhoCrashed-01-060116.PNG
Views:	80
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	284177  

Name:	WhoCrashed-02-060116.PNG
Views:	58
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	284185   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhoCrashed-05-060116.PNG
Views:	60
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	284193  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi. . .

I am completely lost here.

What is wrong with the Windows driver usbfilter.sys and how/why are you trying to fix it?

Please run - https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ta-452654.html

Hopefully the kernel memory dump files will yield some clues.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

NOTE: I am recovering from major surgery (double hip replacement) and may not be able to promptly reply to your thread. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

`
Old 06-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

Sorry Griff...hope the recovery goes smoothly.

I meant to answer you right away but we've had power outages and of course the internet goes down. It just came back up and my head is spinning now trying to collect my thoughts all over again. I'll try to have the info you've requested tomorrow.

The problem is that at least once (sometimes more) each day the computer just shuts down. I may be on it doing some buying on the internet or in the evening watching a movie and it just quits. I (actually my husband) did run the two analysis that I sent in my post above but time has passed and the problem has continued. Didn't realize you were not up and around.

So I'll start doing it your way tomorrow. I just didn't want you to think this was no longer important to me...it is!

Regards...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #4
Registered Member

O.K., no time like the present. I think I've got a handle on your reports. They're attached.

Next:
1) This is a Win7 Home Edition SP1;
2) x64;
3) This system was purchased in Feb 2016 on eBay and is original;
4) It is an OEM;
5) Age...4 months old;
6) Don't know about the installation;
7) Have not reinstalled the O/S.

CPU:
1) Just downloaded about 10 days ago the new AMD video driver recommended by AMD;
2) Motherboard...A58Md BIOSTAR Group;
Authentic AMD. AMD A10-5800K APU with Radeon HDGraphics AMD586, Level:21
3) 4 logical processors, active mask:15
4) RAM: 7705845760 bytes total

Another problem I failed to mention: even though I've set all the options I can see in power options to (NEVER)...about every 5 minutes or so into a movie, it goes into sleep mode. Annoying! Ideas?

Thanks, Griff!
Attached Files
File Type: zip SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip (1.79 MB, 44 views)
File Type: zip PERFMON-061216.zip (134.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 06-14-2016, 09:34 PM   #5
Administrator
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi. . .

The most recent BSOD is dated April 21, 2016 -- none more recent than that. So, there are no new memory dumps to process.

Did you buy a new system or a used system?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewman1 View Post
This system was purchased in Feb 2016 on eBay and is original
I ask because systeminfo reports that Windows was installed (or initial boot-up of a then-new system) 2 years ago:
Code:
Original Install Date:     6/2/2014, 3:27:00 PM
If you did buy a used system, you should reinstall Windows because you really don't know what the prior owner left behind or what problems may be caused by possible OS corruption.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

NOTE: I am recovering from major surgery (double hip replacement) and may not be able to promptly reply to your thread. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

`
Old 06-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
Registered Member

Griff, I purchased this as a brand new unit in February 2016 from a big-time eBay seller. My husband Dick purchased his a couple months later in April, I believe.

Something is not right about the date of the info you've read. I've definitely had BSOD's since April and through my own What Happened it was verified. Maybe we should run PERFMON and Sysnative again? Today alone, it went down 4 times. Now I've not checked why...I assumed it was the same thing you were analyzing. It just slams down...twice I couldn't get Windows to come up in Safe Mode so I had to shut it down hard. When the OS did load one time then the mouse would not work so I had to shutdown again. This time when it came back up the keyboard arrows wouldn't work. The last time it appeared that it had straightened out and I was on a website momentarily and it just shut down...the screen went black.

Most of this (the intensity of it) has begun since Dick loaded that new AMD driver for this 5800 system...if that means anything. Please send me the links again to run those two analyses if you want to take another run at it.

These slamdowns along with the system just going to sleep every 5-6 minutes is really annoying and I'd like to get the problem(s) fixed. When it goes into the sleep mode just moving the mouse will bring it out of the sleep mode but that shouldn't be either.

Thanks Griff. I'll be waiting for your reply.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #7
Registered Member

Sorry, I exaggerated a little. There were only (3) today. I took snapshots for you. But I can see on 'What Happened' that the previous problem that was actually recorded was April 20th. What I don't understand is why all of the slamdowns? These occur daily...but they apparently are not being called BSOD or recorded in the dump file. What do you think is happening?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WhoCrashed-01-061516.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	285282   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhoCrashed-02-061516.PNG
Views:	54
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	285290   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhoCrashed-03-061516.PNG
Views:	49
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	285298  

Old 06-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #8
Hardware Team
Games Team

My System

Delete the SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip file from your PC and re-run the SysnativeFileCollectionApp. The dump files are time and date stamped, the latest file we have is 20th of April 2016.

Also from the systemInfo.txt file from inside the zip archive tells us little details about the Operating System. It was indeed installed on the 2nd June 2014.

Doing some more digging in the files it seems the system was previously owned. On the 3rd June 2014 the system went though a System Image restore and the Computer name was changed from "37L4247F27-25" to "User-PC".
Old 06-16-2016, 12:34 PM   #9
Registered Member

Hi...this is Whazzupdoc answering at the request of my wife (ANewman1).

We bought her computer new in November 2015 from LyPC a Power Seller on eBay. In March 2016 we bought the same unit (slightly different components) from the same seller. These were sold to us as 'Brand New'. Now I'm learning they were in fact not new but had a previous owner. Is it possible that this Power Seller has these units built in China by the hundreds and then shipped to the U.S. for final install and testing which might showup as a previous owner in the logs? These are OEM systems.

I've done as you requested of my wife and re-run the Sysnative Report. I'm also sending again a new PERFMON report both as .zip files.

Can you also address the 'sleep' this computer goes into after 5-7 minutes during a movie? I've addressed this 'sleep' issue in the Power Options in Win7 Home Premium by setting everything to 'NEVER' go to sleep. This is really annoying to her and I feel like an incompetent for not being able to remedy this problem. Thanks Aus_Karlos.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip (1.85 MB, 37 views)
File Type: zip PERFMON-061616.zip (133.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 06-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #10
Registered Member

Hi...my last post (above) must have fallen thru the cracks. I know you are extremely busy but this is causing us a lot of grief. Can you re-examine what I have sent (and am sending to you again) so you can answer my questions above?

Twice this a.m. I've tried to get this post off to you but each time there is a 'snap' and I've got a black screen...we've gone down. This you'll agree is not normal and it is happening since your April 2016 analysis.

Also, the 'sleep' mode is driving us crazy. Everything I can think of regarding the Power Options on Win7 has been set to 'Never Sleep'??? Can you please reply?

Thanks so much!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip (1.90 MB, 32 views)
File Type: zip PERFMON-061916.zip (131.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-20-2016, 04:33 AM   #11
Hardware Team
Games Team

My System

Hi sorry for the delay. Ok so a couple of things.
First
Code:
Event[1149]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
  Date: 2016-06-17T11:27:00.454
  Event ID: 89
  Task: N/A
  Level: Information
  Opcode: Info
  Keyword: N/A
  User: S-1-5-18
  User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
  Computer: User-PC
  Description: 
ACPI thermal zone ACPI\ThermalZone\THRM has been enumerated.             
_PSV = 0K             
_TC1 = 0             
_TC2 = 0             
_TSP = 0ms             
_AC0 = 0K             
_AC1 = 0K             
_AC2 = 0K             
_AC3 = 0K             
_AC4 = 0K             
_AC5 = 0K             
_AC6 = 0K             
_AC7 = 0K             
_AC8 = 0K             
_AC9 = 0K             
_CRT = 400K             
_HOT = 0K             
_PSL - see event data.
This log indicates that the PC shutdown due to the CPU overheating which was followed by a Kernel 41 which is an unexpected shutdown. I would clean out your PC case of dust and ensure that the CPU/Heatsink is free of any dust bunnies.

Second
Quote:
Source: Ntfs
Date: 2016-06-17T09:00:33.944
Event ID: 55
Level: Error
Opcode: N/A
Keyword: Classic
User: N/A
User Name: N/A
Description:
The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy5.
Your Primary HDD has data corruption.
Open up a command Prompt Window (cmd) with admin rights.
  • Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
  • Right-click Command prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
  • If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
Type in the window mountvol. This will display a list of all volumes which either have a drive letter or are hidden by the system.
Code:
    \\?\Volume{2fafc8b0-0ad8-4eca-a0a8-8d99ad552bff}\
        C:\
    \\?\Volume{e6264025-19fc-11e6-bdc6-806e6f6e6963}\
        D:\
    \\?\Volume{a68dacd8-cace-4181-aaa7-4254f3bbe34a}\
        *** NO MOUNT POINTS ***
Open a new cmd Window and type chkdsk /f C: This will scan your C: drive.
To Scan the volume with no mount points you need to do the following
chkdsk /f \\?\Volume{a68dacd8-cace-4181-aaa7-4254f3bbe34a}\ (The numbers are different on yours so dont just copy and paste this one.

And Third.
Code:
Event[1164]:
  Source: Disk
  Date: 2016-06-17T09:38:41.056
  Event ID: 11
  Level: Error
  Opcode: N/A
  Keyword: Classic
  User: N/A
  User Name: N/A
  Description: 
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2.
This is detecting hardware damage on a component. As its labeled Harddisk2 it could be pointing to your removable USB drive if its the USB controller on the external drive this could be causing the issues as all your BSOD are related to USB issues. More specifically a USB Hub located on the Northbridge chipset. (USB ports on the back panel of the PC).

As for the sleep issue your PC is not going to sleep according to the logs. Its turning off due to overheating.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:58 PM   #12
Administrator
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

For the sleep issue, try the suggestions found in these Microsoft KBs:
- https://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...sked-questions
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/976877
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/266283
- https://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...wn-turn-off-pc
- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...9b31bf5?auth=1
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/979878
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/972664

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

`
Old 06-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #13
Registered Member

Have an appointment today with my local computer tech to see how he might be able to help me cover each of the points of your analysis. I'll get back to you one way or the other. Sorry to be so 'green' that I don't feel too comfortable about doing a couple of the things you have pointed. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #14
Registered Member

O.K...back! Like you he thinks this calls for thermal paste applied between(?) the rear usb and processor. He's out of it til next week. He did suggest I remove the peripheral from the front usb ports (as well as the Belkin hub for the keyboard and printer) and place them in the rear usb ports. Only problem now is when I go to the Command Window and try to do my CHKDSK commands (both for the 'F' drive letter and the 'C' drive, I am told that it is busy being used by another process. I checked task manager and nothing else is running so I'm not understanding something.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #15
Hardware Team
Games Team

My System

Windows cannot scan an in-use HDD so to say. I forgot to mention that when attempting to run a "/f" command it requires you to schedule a restart.
So when you do type for example chkdsk /f C: it will say, "This volume is in use and cannot be locked. Do you wish to schedule for next restart".
Type Y and restart your PC to perform the scan.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:10 PM   #16
Registered Member

Followed your instructions. Told CHKDSK to do the analysis after restart. 3 Steps involving 270,592 file records; 520 large files (zero bad..60 reparse records); checked indexes (zero-zero); security description...and all was normal.

Recall I changed all the usb's to the rear of the cpu this afternoon. Watched a movie tonight with no crashes. Also no attempt to 'sleep'...I'll watch these for a day or so and report back.

Now what is the command prompt for doing CHKDSK for the 'F' drive record? This is the peripheral backup for Macrium. Is it CHKDSK /f F: ?
Old 06-22-2016, 12:45 AM   #17
Hardware Team
Games Team

My System

If the drive letter is F then yes its chkdsk /f F:
Can you also download this tool and check the SMART tab.
CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World
Take a screenshot if you want to. If your HDD is reporting bad sectors it could be time to replace your primary HDD.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #18
Registered Member

Thanks, the command works just fine for the backup 'F' drive. The CHKDSK's on both my 'C' drive as well as my external 'F' backup drive say there are no bad sectors and they're given a clean bill of health.

I went to the CrystalDiskInfo site and either I did not select the right software to download or there is no functioning 'Download' tab...I am just taken round and round...unless they're wanting a 'donation' in return for providing this freeware. Maybe I'm missing something here?
Old 06-23-2016, 12:43 AM   #19
Hardware Team
Games Team

My System

Heres a direct link to their download Page Download Center - Crystal Dew World
Click on the 3.8MB file under "Installer".
Old 06-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #20
Registered Member

Thanks! I've downloaded it but it is indicating (x86). This Win7 Home Premium is x64. Does that make a difference with this program?
Closed Thread