Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

BSOD after few minutes of gaming

This is a discussion on BSOD after few minutes of gaming within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Your motherboard manual should explain how to set up the dual channel modules. I would look it up myself and

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #21
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Your motherboard manual should explain how to set up the dual channel modules. I would look it up myself and then pass on the information to you, but it is time for me to sleep. Goodnight, and good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #22
Registered Member

Alright I was able to figure it out from the manual, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Just ran 15 passes with 2 of the sticks set up for single channel, running the same two sticks on dual channel now.

I notice that the settings on the Memtest86 screen list my ram at "166 Mhz ... CAS : 5-4-4-14", but the cards list their specs at 667 Mhz with a timing of 5-5-5-15. Any idea what is causing the discrepancy?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #23
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Not sure about the speed discrepancy. CPU-Z shows 333 MHz (667 MHz in dual channel) and 4-4-4-14 for your current timings. You may try manually setting the timings in your BIOS, if you are comfortable doing so, to 4-4-4-15 and set the frequency to 667 MHz. I do not think it necessary to do so, but it is up to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #24
Registered Member

I've tested the memory now on both single channel and duel channel, for all combinations possible and have not gotten any erors from memtest.

Despite this, I've had a BSOD pop up when doing something as minimally taxing as trying to re-install Steam from valve's website. Where should I go from here?
Old 10-30-2012, 05:54 AM   #25
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Check for any driver conflicts by enabling Driver Verifier. Leave Verifier on for 36-48 hours, and then upload the crash reports at that time by following the TSF_XP_SUPPORT instructions once again.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #26
Registered Member

Seems like things are getting progressively worse... I can't get windows to even load now without a BSOD ocurring. I booted into safemade and attempted you use the driver verifier there, but when I restarted I just got another BSOD... Also, I'm not sure if running it from safemood defeats the purpose anyways / is even possible.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #27
TSF Enthusiast

My System

At this point, a Repair Install of Windows XP or even a Clean Install of Windows XP may be needed to rule out software as the cause.

Make sure to backup any important files prior to doing either of those installations.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #28
Registered Member

Out of curiosity, could my symptoms be produced by a failing PSU? When I came home the other day after not having used my computer for the weekend, pressing the power-on button would start the fans spinning for about a second and then everything would die down. Eventually after several cycles of this, it stuck and I was able to turn on the system.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #29
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Yes, any number of problems can result from a failing PSU.

What is the age of your PSU?

What is the wattage of your PSU? 550 W from earlier post... Sorry for missing that.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #30
Registered Member

PSU is from Summer of 2006
Old 11-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #31
TSF Enthusiast

My System

The age of the PSU would warrant replacing it to test whether it resolves the issue. I would first suggest borrowing a PSU from a friend. If that is not feasible, try to buy one from a PC store that will allow you to return it for a full refund if it does not fix the crashes.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #32
Registered Member

Just a quick update: Decided to reformat the hard drive and do a clean install of Windows. Everything seemed to be running smoothly, I installed the upgrades to SP3, installed my graphics card driver, installed my audio driver, installed my wireless driver. Then I installed steam, and while listening to a song on youtube and opening steam, got the BSOD. BSOD also occurs in the usual spot once I run a game in steam.

On the bright side, my desktop is really clean now =)
Old 11-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #33
Registered Member

Also, now that my computer is stable enough to run, I will enable driver verifier and see if I can't get a 3rd party driver to cause a BSOD and then post the results. Will update tomorrow... Trying to avoid having to buy a new PSU if possible.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #34
Registered Member

Could Windows XP be the issue? Would it be worth purchasing a copy of Windows 7 and installing that? I can get one relatively cheap through my university.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #35
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Not too likely that XP is the problem. Given the time that XP has been around, the support it has for hardware and the support drivers and software have for XP is very high. In almost all cases, XP blue screen crashes indicate a hardware fault unless the blue screens themselves point to something specific. Yours are very general crashes and are likely hardware, possibly the PSU.

Do you have anyone you can borrow a PSU from?

What about a store that will allow you to buy one and return it for a full refund if the PSU does not fix the problem?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #36
Registered Member

How many watts do I need from a PSU? I'll see what I can do...
Old 11-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #37
Registered Member

I'm not sure of what relevance this may be, if any, but I noticed when I run dxdiag or the windows 7 updater utility (to see if my computer can support 32x or 64x), both programs only report that I have 3gb of ram, when in fact I have 4 sticks in. However speccy reports that I have 4gb, as does memtest.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #38
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon615 View Post
How many watts do I need from a PSU? I'll see what I can do...
The best method to determine what PSU to buy is to use a PSU Calculator and add 50 or 100 Watts (100 Watts is more conservative) to the calculated value to improve the PSU's lifespan. If you choose a PSU based on the actual calculation, you are more likely to tax the PSU more and shorten its life, so 50-100 Watts more provides longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon615 View Post
I'm not sure of what relevance this may be, if any, but I noticed when I run dxdiag or the windows 7 updater utility (to see if my computer can support 32x or 64x), both programs only report that I have 3gb of ram, when in fact I have 4 sticks in. However speccy reports that I have 4gb, as does memtest.
If you are running 32-bit Windows XP, you will be limited to 4 GB. Depending on your display card and what its settings are, it may use some of that 4 GB, which could be why you see a disparity across reports. Check your display card RAM through your display properties in Control Panel or through the display tab in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
Closed Thread