Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

User Tag List

Black screen of DEATH / laptop froze during BIOS update

This is a discussion on Black screen of DEATH / laptop froze during BIOS update within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone! I have a clients Compaq CQ57-229WM laptop here that I put a new SSHD + OS / WIN

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS: HP Probook 4420s 2.4 GHz i3 /120GB SSD#1/500GB HDD#2/ 8GB DDR3 1333mhz/HPgraphic/ Win 7 Ultimate 64

Hello everyone! I have a clients Compaq CQ57-229WM laptop here that I put a new SSHD + OS / WIN 7 Home Premium, upgraded the ram. Well after installing almost everything I decided for some stupid reason to let HP Support run it's thing. I did this to mainly get all the programs that come with the laptop when purchased new.

Well it chose to update the BIOS and started before I could stop it. Halfway through the BIOS update ( which should have went perfect, everything else installed perfect and I had it with 0 fragments after installing the OS and a bunch of programs ) the laptop just froze. I left it on like that for hours and hours hoping it would just finish the BIOS update. If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck because the next day I had to pull the battery to shut it off. When I powered it on of course there was no BIOS post and I got the classic "it's on and running, fans spinning keeping it cool, caps lock light blinks BLACK screen of death.

So of course I tried to re-install the BIOS with a flash drive formatted with an HP TOOLS but that didn't work. I renamed the BIOS files 60 different ways just to get the laptop to accept and install them and not one of them worked. I kept reading the way to find out what to rename the BIOS files that are important is in the platform but I couldn't find it I guess because none of the tons of different names I gave the files worked.

Now I am here wondering / begging for any ones help that will tell me the exact method of button press and the exact name I should re-name both BIOS files because what I've tried hasn't worked and I am going to be in a bad spot if I have to order a new motherboard for this laptop. When I hold the Win and B key and press power it's acting like it's trying to pull info off the USB flash but it never works. Here is a link to the page where the newest BIOS file is HP Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors) - Compaq Presario CQ57-229WM Notebook PC | HP® Support

Thank you in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

From my experience with retail PC's and laptops, using the brands support update utility...I've never heard of any of those updating the BIOS by itself or automatically.

I'm afraid since the BIOS update was botched is some fashion that the damage is done. You may have to contact HP/Compaq directly and see if there is some thing that can be done through them. This may involve sending it off for repair....that is if they can fix it and if they can it would be costly.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

OS: HP Probook 4420s 2.4 GHz i3 /120GB SSD#1/500GB HDD#2/ 8GB DDR3 1333mhz/HPgraphic/ Win 7 Ultimate 64

Yeah if you have the settings in HP support assistant set right it will do an automatic BIOS update if you've never updated the BIOS on the laptop. Yeah there is a method like I was explaining. I've gotten it to work with multiple Dells, Gateways, and some Toshibas. They all involve holding the Win key and the B key or on Gateways for example you would hold the FN and escape key when starting. If you have the BIOS file correctly named the laptop will re-install the BIOS off a formatted in a certain way flash drive. With some laptops the flash can be formatted in fat and others it has to be formatted in FAT32. Its all about finding someone who knows the correct way to name the file and the correct kind of format to use with the flash. Thank you though for your help, I do appreciate the input.
Closed Thread