Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Inactive Malware Help Topics

User Tag List

Unable to find source of adware-type popup on both chrome & ie, now a new type!

This is a discussion on Unable to find source of adware-type popup on both chrome & ie, now a new type! within the Inactive Malware Help Topics forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. About 6-8weeks ago (guesstimate) I started getting a random window popup at various times while browsing online. The semi-odd thing

Old 04-14-2014, 02:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

About 6-8weeks ago (guesstimate) I started getting a random window popup at various times while browsing online. The semi-odd thing about it is #1-same type of popup on both ie & my Chrome browsers; #2- I hadn't downloaded/installed anything around then; #3 I havenot been able to find their source; #4- Have not found any scan (malwarebytes, Panda, pcpitstop, etc) that seems to locate it, nor does my Winpatrol. The popup windows vary in advertisers, but most frequent is for the game "Big Farm". They are always fullsized page & open in a new window (not just a new tab), with no toolbar, etc on top. Of course it can get irritating!
Now, as of 2days ago I've suddenly gotten a new & BIGGER annoyance... Quite often, especially when I open my browser & go to do anything (such as switch sites/pages, open history, etc), I get a blackish popup come down about 3/4 over my page, and has a video box (which seldom starts to play for at least 10seconds) & below video has a button that says "SKIP AD in 15 seconds" & then counts down to 0, then I can hit the skip button, & it goes away. It also happens just the same nomatter if I'm using Chrome or ie.
Any clue??? If I had an idea of their name or source, I should be able to find some sign of their existence in regedit, but I don't seem to find any indication anywhere including at top or bottom of screen when they open. The two types of popups do not look or act anyway similar/related,

P.S. I also have checked my extensions, etc in each browser & in my programs

Thank you very much for your time & assistance!

NOTE: the 1st time I ran gmer, it fried on me & restarted computer, so I ran it with the "sections" clicked. I saved the ark, then I reran it again but with the original options, & it ran ok that time so I saved its ark also & named it "ark1". Im posting them both, I hope that is best.
Ark.txt = sections c drive selected
Ark1.txt = the normal choices
Attached Files
File Type: txt attach.txt (5.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: txt ark.txt (2.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: txt ark1.txt (3.2 KB, 36 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

cginn73,

Hi and welcome to TSF.

I am currently reviewing your logs. Please note that this is under the supervision of an expert analyst, and I will be back with a fix for your problem as soon as possible.

If you haven't already, please Subscribe to this Thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant notification by email, then click Add Subscription.

Please be patient with me during this time.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

cginn73,

Welcome to TSF. My name is Drew. Digest the following when you can if there is no problem following my instructions.

I will be helping you with the problem that brought you here. I am currently reviewing any log(s) you posted. If you haven't done so, Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help. This might be a good time to get familiar with what we can do, what you can expect from your visit at TSF and how you can help.

Take note of some guidelines (sorry for the length .. they are kind of important) for this fix so we can work together to resolve any issues.
  1. Read my instructions completely. If you do not understand any step(s) provided, feel free to Stop before continuing and let me know what is unclear. I would much rather clarify instructions or explain them in a different way than have something important broken. There really is no "dumb" question here.

2. Perform everything in the order offered. Sometimes one step requires the previous one.

3. "Save it to your DeskTop" is said in many of our tools. In later versions of Windows, "where" to save a file is not always offered. The default location for you is
    C:\Users\CHRIST~1\Downloads
    Move (or at least copy) your download from here, put on your DeskTop, and run the tool from there based on the instructions given.

4. Post all Logfiles as a reply rather than as an attachment unless I specifically ask you to do so. If you can not post all Logfiles in one reply, feel free to use several posts. Please post these Logfiles in their entirety even if you are trying to show me something. Just add a NOTE and say so. I really need to see the whole picture.

5. Some malware may take a lot of steps to resolve, or in the worst case, reloading your system entirely. I can't stress enough the importance for you to backup any data. Whatever your method, it is an important step to do this before beginning any malware fix.

6. Refrain from making any changes to your computer including installing/uninstalling any programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, and running any scanners or tools unless I tell you to do so. Doing so could be confusing for me and cause changes to the directions I have to give you and extend the time required to fix your computer. Furthermore, you should not be taking any advice relating to this computer from any other source throughout the course of this fix.

7. If you need to change any passwords, please do so from another, clean computer. Using this one may make things worse for you.

8. Even if things appear to be better, it might not mean we are truly done. Please continue to follow my instructions and reply back until I give you the all clear. We do not want to clean you part-way, only to have the system re-infected for some reason. I will also give you some advice about prevention. Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean.

9. Please set your system to show all files. Each system is a bit different so again, ask if you're not sure how. Return this setting when done.

10. You may wish to Subscribe to this Thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools (near the top), then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant Notification by email, then click Add Subscription.

If I haven't lost you, let's get started. I look forward to fixing your computer and getting you back to safe surfing.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Please copy and paste log back here.
  • The first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

cginn73,

I haven't heard from you in several days. I must warn you that without an answer from you, this thread may be closed.

If you need help, just let me know.