Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Inactive Malware Help Topics

User Tag List

My PC is freezing up after Adaware found trojan

This is a discussion on My PC is freezing up after Adaware found trojan within the Inactive Malware Help Topics forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have never had a problem like this before, but my son was on a gaming site advertised on Cartoon

Old 06-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #1

Exclamation

I have never had a problem like this before, but my son was on a gaming site advertised on Cartoon Network and I believe this happened then. I have WinXP SP2 and use McAfee Internet Security 8, Lavasoft Adaware (free version) and Spybot Search and Destroy (free version). I have done all Microsoft security fixes as they come in to my PC. Either Sunday evening or Monday morning, I believe my PC became infected. I have cable broadband and I came back into the room to find the PC frozen. I had to shut it off improperly and didn't think much about it, but it continued to freeze up after I shut it down and restarted it. I ran Lavasoft Adaware, which came up with Win32.Trojanclicker which it quarantined. Once before (several months ago), Spybot found WWWCoolsearch, which it quarantined and since then, nothing else has come up about Coolsearch. However, I have felt like that may not have been resolved either because sometimes my PC seems slow, although there hasn't been any freezing until Sunday or Monday. I was recommended to come here by a tech on McAfee forums. I was trying to follow all the steps before posting, but I cannot get the Panda Scan to run. My PC doesn't seem to be freezing as often now, but it does freeze frequently, like last night when I tried to save a file from my email and when I connected my external drive and opened RawShooter, and when I left the PC for several hours, and when doing a McAfee scan to name a few times it froze. I really want to fix this; I would do a reformat and forget it, but I think there are some files that need to be moved to a backup hard drive, and I don't think I can even get that far w/o it freezing. It would probably be much easier if I can get to the point where I can post a Hijack This log and let someone here check it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 03:56 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Hi Cteal59 and welcome to TSF

Sorry for the delay in getting to you, the forum has been really busy lately and all our helpers are volunteers.

Download Deckard's System Scanner to your Desktop. Note: You must be logged onto an account with administrator privileges.
  1. Close all applications and windows.
  2. Double-click on dss.exe to run it, and follow the prompts.
  3. When the scan is complete, 2 text files will open - main.txt and extra.txt
  4. Copy (Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of main.txt back in this thread (do not attach it).
  5. Please attach extra.txt to your post.

To attach a file to a new post, simply
  1. Click the[Manage Attachments] button under Additional Options > Attach Files on the post composition page, and
  2. copy and paste the following into the "Upload File from your Computer" box:
    C:\Deckard\System Scanner\extra.txt
  3. Click Upload.

What DSS will do:
  • create a new System Restore point in Windows XP and Vista.
  • clean your Temporary Files, Downloaded Program Files, and Internet Cache Files, and also empty the Recycle Bin on all drives.
  • check some important areas of your system and produce a report for your analyst to review. DSS automatically runs HijackThis for you, but it will also install and place a shortcut to HijackThis on your desktop if you do not already have HijackThis installed.

------------------------------------------

1. Download combofix to your desktop from 1 of these locations

2. Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.

3. When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post that log in your next reply

Note:
Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall

------------------------------------------
Required Logs

main.txt
extra.txt (attached)
c:\combofix.txt

Proud member of ASAP since 2007

Proud member of UNITE since 2008

Our help is completely free but please consider donating to the site to help keep it running