User Tag List

Malware?

This is a discussion on Malware? within the Inactive Malware Help Topics forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Not sure what I accidentally picked up here but it's pretty annoying. I get a popup in my Windows 10

Old 04-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Not sure what I accidentally picked up here but it's pretty annoying. I get a popup in my Windows 10 taskbar 3x in a row about every hour or so. I did a quick google search and downloaded and ran malware bytes and quarantined w/e it found and that did absolutely nothing. Any suggestions? Here's a screen shot of what it looks like when it pops up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	malware.png
Views:	20
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	323392  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Hi,

Please follow the instructions here > Malware Removal Help Posting Instructions

Follow the instructions carefully and if you have any problems with them, let the analyst know in your next post.

Be advised that this part of the forum is usually very busy so some patience will be required but someone will be along to assist you when they can.

If you have no response within 72 hours, you may reply to your own thread with 'Bump please', this will result in your thread moving to the top of the forum making it more visible.

Good luck.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 04-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
Security Team Moderator

Welcome to the TSF Malware Removal forum.
I'm iMacg3 and will be helping you.

Please keep the following information in mind before we begin:
  • Do not run any fixes or tools on your system unless I request that you do so.
  • Please read all instructions completely before you complete them.
  • If your computer seems to start working normally, please don't abandon the topic. Just because your computer doesn't seem to have a problem doesn't mean that it isn't infected.
  • If you have pirated or illegal software on your computer, uninstall it before proceeding.
  • If you don't respond to your topic in 3 days, it will be closed. In the event this topic is closed and you still need help, please start a new topic with a link to this one.
  • If you have questions about anything during the cleanup, please ask.

------------------------------------------------

Open Google Chrome. Click the Menu icon in the upper right corner of the window (three vertical dots).

Click Settings from the drop-down menu. Scroll down all the way and click Advanced.

Under "Privacy and Security" click "Content Settings."

Click Notifications. If you see any notifications allowed from unfamiliar sites, click Block or Remove next to the site URL.

Restart Chrome.

If the problem persists please run this program:

=============

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system, download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Right-click FRST/FRST64 and select Run as administrator. (Windows XP users double-click on the file).
  • If you receive a SmartScreen warning, click on More Info and Run Anyway.
  • When the tool opens, click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will produce logs called FRST.txt and Addition.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Copy and paste the contents of FRST.txt and Addition.txt into your next reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacg3 View Post
------------------------------------------------

Open Google Chrome. Click the Menu icon in the upper right corner of the window (three vertical dots).

Click Settings from the drop-down menu. Scroll down all the way and click Advanced.

Under "Privacy and Security" click "Content Settings."

Click Notifications. If you see any notifications allowed from unfamiliar sites, click Block or Remove next to the site URL.

Restart Chrome.
Hey folks. Thank you for the responses. So I went ahead and started with these instructions above. I did this last night and so far I haven't seen the pop ups again. I think this might have solved the problem. As the day continues we'll see because I'll be on the PC most of the day. Is there any follow up I need to do to remove anything malicious from this incident that might be lingering on my PC or was this solely a browser issue?...
Old 04-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
Security Team Moderator

Hi,

Glad to hear the issue is resolved.

Quote:
Is there any follow up I need to do to remove anything malicious from this incident that might be lingering on my PC or was this solely a browser issue?...
Please do this:

Download ESET Online Scanner and save it to your desktop.
  • Right-click on esetonlinescanner_enu.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Click on Get Started.
  • Another window will appear - select Get Started. Select whether you would like to send anonymous data to ESET.
  • Click on the Full Scan option.
  • Click on the option to Enable ESET to detect and remove potentially unwanted applications, and select Start scan.
  • ESET will now begin scanning your computer. This may take some time.
  • When the scan is finished and if threats have been detected, select Save scan log. Save it to your desktop with a name like ESETlog.txt. Click on Continue.
  • ESET Online Scanner may ask if you'd like to turn on the Periodic Scan feature. Click on Continue.
  • On the next screen, you can leave feedback about the program if you wish. Check the box for Delete application data on closing. If you left feedback, click Submit and continue. If not, Close without feedback.
  • On your desktop, a file will be created called ESETlog.txt. Open it, then copy and paste its contents into your next reply.

----------------------------------------

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system, download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Right-click FRST/FRST64 and select Run as administrator. (Windows XP users double-click on the file).
  • If you receive a SmartScreen warning, click on More Info and Run Anyway.
  • When the tool opens, click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will produce logs called FRST.txt and Addition.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Copy and paste the contents of FRST.txt and Addition.txt into your next reply.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #6
Security Team Moderator

Hi,

If you still need help, please respond to this thread or it will be closed in 24 hours.

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:48 PM   #7
Security Team Moderator

Due to lack of response, this topic will now be closed.

If you need continued support, please begin a new thread, and provide a link to this topic.

This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic, after following the steps outlined here:

https://www.techsupportforum.com/f50...lp-305963.html