Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Inactive Malware Help Topics

User Tag List

Incrediblely slow speed.(Moved from Windows)

This is a discussion on Incrediblely slow speed.(Moved from Windows) within the Inactive Malware Help Topics forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a AMD Athlon 3800+ 2.4 ghz i think, with an Asus M2ne motherboard, a 120 gig hard drive

Old 05-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a AMD Athlon 3800+ 2.4 ghz i think, with an Asus M2ne motherboard, a 120 gig hard drive with 20gigs free, and a gig of ram. I'm running windows XP. The problem I have is my computer, after booting with relatively good speed, slows down incredibly. It takes about 20 minutes for my computer to load up all it's startup programs and about 10 minutes to open most programs. Took more than 40 for Warcraft III to open, and didn't even finish opening, I just reset my computer in frustration. I've run Ad-aware scan, Spybot search and destroy, done a ram check and a few other micellaneous fixes and none of them have helped. Currently I'm doing a Norton Full System scan, and so far it's taken 18 hours and is still not complete. I defragged my drive only last week before these problems arose, as well as run a scan disk and clean up. I have no idea what the problem is and I'm nearing my wits end. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh also when slam alt ctrl del in frustration, it takes a couple minutes for the window to pop up, but when it does it shows Explorer.exe taking 95-99% of my processing power and 100% of my processing power being used.

Thanks in advanced, Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Hello and Welcome to TSF

It wouldnt hurt to Look over the First Steps at Removing Malware .

Also what programs can you eliminate at startup? Look in the System Configuration Utility
Old 05-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

I've done every step except the panda scan and step 5, but that's only because that norton scan is still going -_-. Also I've removed everything from my startup except norton, my tablet utility, my mouse utility and my sound card utility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

I can't get the panda scan to run. It starts, but stalls. I left it running for three hours and it didn't go far.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:35 PM   #5
Registered Member

There's several files in my C:/Windows/Temp that were attempted to be deleted by Norton and failed to. Since then I have tried to delete them manually and also failed. Maybe these files are the root of the problem? The files are cc10f.tmp, cc109.tmp, cc111.tmp, cc112.temp, cc113.tmp, and cc115.tmp.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:18 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Anything in the temp folder can safely be deleted. Here is a program to help you remove them.

Download and install CleanUp!

*WARNING* Cleanup deletes EVERYTHING out of temp/temporary folders and does not make backups.

Open Cleanup! by double-clicking the icon on your desktop (or from the Start > All Programs menu). Set the program up as follows:
*Click "Options..."
*Move the arrow down to "Custom CleanUp!"
*Put a check next to the following:
  • Empty Recycle Bins
  • Delete Cookies
  • Delete Prefetch files
  • Cleanup! All Users
  • Click on the “Temporary Files” and uncheck the box for “Scan drives for file matching” if it’s checked.
Click OK
Press the CleanUp! button to start the program. Reboot/logoff when prompted.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:45 AM   #7

Hi.

Don't know if this is any help, but my gf had the same problem with her laptop. Except in that instance it was svchost.exe which was chewing up all the CPU and RAM.

Simply disabling Automatic Updates on the Windows Automatic Updates worked.

Don't know if this'll work, but it might be worth a punt. You can always get the updates over the internet if you check regularly anyhow.

HTH.

Alex. :)
Old 05-18-2007, 02:26 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexknibb View Post
Hi.

Don't know if this is any help, but my gf had the same problem with her laptop. Except in that instance it was svchost.exe which was chewing up all the CPU and RAM.

Simply disabling Automatic Updates on the Windows Automatic Updates worked.

Don't know if this'll work, but it might be worth a punt. You can always get the updates over the internet if you check regularly anyhow.

HTH.

Alex. :)

Thanks Alex, a friend of mine broached that same solution to me, but unfortunately, I've already had automatic updates disabled for some time. Also the problem you're referring to, I've heard, is one that seems to only affect laptop users, and my computer is a desktop.

Thanks anyways, I appreciate any assistence.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #9
Registered Member

My panda scan is too large to post as single item. They're attached. I don't know why this hasn't been cleared out by the numerous other programs I've used. Perhaps they're part of Adaware's quarintine?
Attached Files
File Type: txt pandascan1.txt (1.25 MB, 18 views)
File Type: txt pandascan2.txt (1.37 MB, 15 views)
Old 05-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Those are all cookies which should have been removed by using Cleanup! as instructed. If they are not being removed because of the protecion of Norton just purge them all and then turn off Norton Protection

Quote:
Took more than 40 for Warcraft III to open, and didn't even finish opening,
Why do you have this running at startup, it is unecessary. Limiting the programs/apps that start at boot will increase your boot up time.
What else is running at boot? Use the System Configuration Utility to disable some of the crap loading at boot
Old 05-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekgirl View Post
Those are all cookies which should have been removed by using Cleanup! as instructed. If they are not being removed because of the protecion of Norton just purge them all and then turn off Norton Protection

Why do you have this running at startup, it is unecessary. Limiting the programs/apps that start at boot will increase your boot up time.
What else is running at boot? Use the System Configuration Utility to disable some of the crap loading at boot
Oh I was just running it as a test. Not bart of start up, and should I just purge them manually with internet explorer and/or firefox.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #12
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

No you open up the recycle bin and purge from there.

Read this
https://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...256e24004e250f
Old 05-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
Registered Member

I've run everything in that 5 step thing as well as several other solutions from other support websites. I've eliminated several problems and my computer seems to be running better but I still don't believe I've solved all the problems. Attached are the logs from a Kaspersky Online check and my most recent HijackThis log. Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:24:03 PM, on 5/20/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\DJSNETCN.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\NAV\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\NAV\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Tablet.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WTablet\TabUserW.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Tablet.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G\AirGCFG.exe
C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIADA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\tom\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {55DB983C-BDBF-426f-86F0-187B02DDA39B} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\yyshvsrn.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5FFF58A3-5FE5-4588-857B-E8EE47B84B4C} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\mllji.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {A8F38D8D-E480-4D52-B7A2-731BB6995FDD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\NAV\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {C004A8DA-623A-4409-B6ED-F3E3DA367792} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\urqolll.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe" runtime -Delay
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [D-Link AirPlus G] C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G\AirGCFG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ANIWZCS2Service] C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX4800 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIADA.EXE /P26 "EPSON Stylus CX4800 Series" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX4800"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HGTXPEI] C:\WINDOWS\system32\FirstReboot.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundFusion] RunDll32 hercplgs.cpl,BootEntryPoint
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [setup] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\scexvctg.dll",realset
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [DJSNetCN] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\DJSNETCN.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Synchronizer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AdobeCollabSync.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - https://www.kaspersky.com/kos/english...an_unicode.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - https://acs.pandasoftware.com/actives...ree/asinst.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: urqolll - urqolll.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ANIWZCSd Service (ANIWZCSdService) - Alpha Networks Inc. - C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\ANIWZCSdS.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Licensing Detect Internet Connection (DJSNETCN) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\DJSNETCN.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\NAV\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\NAV\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec AVScan (SAVScan) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\NAV\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SPBBCSvc - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: TabletService - Wacom Technology, Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Tablet.exe
Attached Files
File Type: txt Kasperskyscan.txt (11.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-21-2007, 04:10 AM   #14
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

I moved this to the security forum, let them finish cleaning you up, if you are still experiencing issues have them move you back over to my forum