Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Inactive Malware Help Topics

User Tag List

I turned my computer on this morning to find it with a big virus

This is a discussion on I turned my computer on this morning to find it with a big virus within the Inactive Malware Help Topics forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey everyone, This morning at around 10:00 am I turned my computer on to find probably the weirdest thing I

Old 07-25-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey everyone,

This morning at around 10:00 am I turned my computer on to find probably the weirdest thing I have ever encountered with computers. I'll try to explain it as well as I can, so sorry in advance if it doesn't make sense. Also, I read the thread on what do to when you make a thread, but I wasn't sure whether I have to add the logs? I have logs but I'm not adding them. If they are required, I'd be happy to add them.

Anyways, this morning I turned my computer (the operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium) on to find the screen enlarged about three times. So I right clicked, went personalize and display settings, and saw that the resolution only had four options I could change it to, which were 800x600 pixels, 1024x768, 1280x800 and 1280x1024. Now, I'm not the best at the indepth knowledge of computers, but I know for a fact that last time I changed the resolution there were at least 5 options I could change it to, not 4. When I got out of it, I realised my wallpaper had been changed from Katy Perry to be completely black. By this stage, I was obviously a bit dumbfounded. I then clicked start to go into My Pictures to change it back, and realised that the most popular programs I used weren't in the list just above 'All Programs'. I then clicked on All Programs and noticed that it was about half the size, and that there were many programs missing from the list.

I went into My Computer, into the C Drive, and Program Files, and noticed that under 'Date Modified', 25 programs had apparently been modified this morning between 8:14 and 9:50 am. Alarmingly, there were 15 programs 'modified' at 9:15 am. The weird thing is, they were already on my computer! Obviously it is impossible to modify 15 programs within 60 seconds so I'm assuming a virus has creapt onto my computer. Also, last night before I went to bed, I was listening to music on iTunes, and when I went to go into it this morning, it said that 'iTunes is either not designed to run on Windows, or it contains an error'. Apparently it was not installed correctly as well, which can't be true as I was using it last night.

I ran 2 scans, one with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and one with AVG. The scan with Malware found 5 threats, and was able to remove them all. However, in Results Overview for AVG it said the scan found 6 infections, 4 of which were 'removed and healed'. The other 2 were 'Not removed or healed'. I clicked on infections and there were four trojans. 'Trojan Horse Cryptic.CTC', 'Trojan Horse BackDoor.Hupigon5.BSPJ', ''Trojan Horse Downloader.Generic11.ABRW' and 'Trojan Horse PSW.Generic8.AXKE'. So obviously now I am very worried!

Any help to help me understand how I can remove these would be greatly appreciated! Sorry if I have done anything wrong as well regarding my post :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
Security Team
Analyst

Hello and Welcome to TSF.
I'm nasdaq

Please Subscribe to this Thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant notification by email, then click Add Subscription.

Please note that the forum is very busy and if I don't hear from you within three days this thread will be closed.

------------------------------------------------------

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined here:

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post the logs in your next reply for my review. It's the only way I can suggest sound advice.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Security Team
Analyst

Due to lack of response, this topic will now be closed. If you need continued support, please begin a new thread, and provide a link to this topic. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic, after following the steps outlined here:
NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum