Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Inactive Malware Help Topics

User Tag List

I can't visit these two particular sites for some weird reason

This is a discussion on I can't visit these two particular sites for some weird reason within the Inactive Malware Help Topics forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all, I'm trying to download Kali Linux but I'm having trouble accessing these two websites that contains the download

Old 12-23-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello all, I'm trying to download Kali Linux but I'm having trouble accessing these two websites that contains the download link. The two websites are www.offensive-security.com and www.kali.org

I find it really unusual that I can't access the two websites that contain the download link to Kali Linux. Whenever I try to go on these two sites, it says "This site can't be reached" and "took too long to respond" and ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT. I'm using Chrome but I've tried to open these sites on different browsers such as Firefox and Internet Explorer and it still has the same error message. I know the problem lies within my laptop because I went on my phone and used my cellular data to try and connect to those two websites and I was able to open it up fine. I thought it might be my ISP blocking those sites, so I went to starbucks and used their Wifi and I still couldn't open up the two sites on my laptop. For sure there is something wrong with my laptop which is causing this problem. Maybe a virus? A hacker? I installed Malware Bytes and ran the scan and found 22 threats which were quarantined and removed but I still can't fix this problem. I'm using windows 7. I tried using nord vpn's web proxy to access the two sites I mentioned and I was finally able to access it through the proxy and I was able to download Kali Linux through the proxy but then when I tried opening the file after downloading it through the proxy, it says the file is corrupted. I'm guessing it's because I'm downloading the file through a proxy instead of my own browser? Not really sure. So now I'm lost and I don't know what to do to fix this problem. I want to be able to visit the two sites in order to download it without having to use a proxy. Any ideas?

Also you might be wondering why i'm trying to download Kali Linux, well yes I'm currently taking an online course on learning how to hack but not for malicious reasons. I 'm trying to learn how to hack so that I can discover my computer and network's own vulnerabilities so that I can protect myself against other hackers. I posted this thread on a different tech forum and the moderator accused me of wanting to download Kali linux for malicious purposes and he closed the thread which made me frustrated because he just automatically assumed i'm trying to download kali linux to hack into other people's system without asking me WHY i want to download it in the first place. And I think that maybe my computer is compromised since I can't access the two websites that I mentioned. Could it be that someone hacked into my computer and installed a backdoor and was able to change something in my laptop so that I can't access the two websites I mentioned to download Kali Linux? Someone that doesn't want me to have access to Kali Linux? Also, a few months ago I entered my debit card information in the same laptop I'm using now and somebody tried to transfer $5000 from my bank account into multiple accounts. They were able to get into my bank account. This is also another reason why I want to learn how to hack in order to protect myself. They still haven't caught the guy responsible for taking my money.

Please help because I don't know whether or not my computer is really compromised and I really want to fix this problem and be able to access those two websites. I've tried using a different laptop while in the same network and was able to access those two sites. I was able to download Kali Linux on another laptop and get it installed on my laptop by emailing the download link to myself but what I want to know is if my laptop is really comprised, how to fix the problem of accessing those two websites, and whether or not I should reformat my laptop or get a new one (mine is pretty old, 2010). Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2017, 02:30 PM   #2
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

Hello and Welcome to TSF.

If you haven't already, please Subscribe to this Thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant notification by email, then click Add Subscription.

Please note that the forum is very busy and if I don't hear from you within three days this thread will be closed.

------------------------------------------------------

Please download AdwCleaner from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Run AdwCleaner and select Scan
  • Once the Scan is done, select Clean
  • Once done it will ask to reboot, please allow the reboot.
  • On reboot, a log will be produced. It can also be found at C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C#].txt
  • Please copy/paste the contents of the log in your next reply.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Make sure the Addition.txt button is ticked.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • It also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

Proud member of UNITE

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2014, 2015
Old 12-28-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

Due to lack of response, this topic will now be closed. If you need continued support, please begin a new thread, and provide a link to this topic. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic, after following the steps outlined here:

IMPORTANT - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help

Proud member of UNITE

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2014, 2015