Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Inactive Malware Help Topics

User Tag List

DCOM Server Process Launcher Service Terminated Unexpectedly

This is a discussion on DCOM Server Process Launcher Service Terminated Unexpectedly within the Inactive Malware Help Topics forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have two laptops on my home network, which both seem to be infected with the same malware. Both today

Old 04-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have two laptops on my home network, which both seem to be infected with the same malware.
Both today received a message staying that the DCOM Server Process Launcher Service had terminated unexectedly and that my system would reboot in 60 seconds.

On laptop 1, I dumbly played along and let it reboot and now I can't get most of my automatic services started (tells me the file is missing) and I have no network connections either.

On laptop 2, which I booted when the first was not usable, gave me the same message, but after reading how you resolved this issue for someone else (on my phone), I quickly issued a shutdown -a to prevent it. So far so good, in that I still have internet here and that message hasn't come back.

Anyway, What do I have to do to restore these laptops to good health?
Thanks,
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Security Team
Analyst

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi Doug,

Do you have by any chance McAfee antivirus installed on those systems?

Download DDS and save it to your desktop from here or here or here.
Disable any script blocker, and then double click dds.scr to run the tool.
  • When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    1. DDS.txt
    2. Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop. Post them back to your topic.

---

Download GMER here by clicking download exe -button and then saving it your desktop:
  • Double-click .exe that you downloaded
  • Click rootkit-tab, uncheck files option and then click scan.
  • Don't check
    Show All
    box while scanning in progress!
  • When scanning is ready, click Copy.
  • This copies log to clipboard
  • Post log (if the log is long, archive it into a zip file and attach instead of posting) in your reply.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2015
UNITE member since 2006
Provided malware removal related instructions are meant to be used in the correspondent user's case only. If you have similar symptoms please create own topic instead of following instructions given to some other.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
TSF-Emeritus

Due to lack of response, this topic will now be closed. If you need continued support, please begin a new thread, and provide a link to this topic. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic, after following the steps outlined here:

https://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html