Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Inactive Malware Help Topics

User Tag List

Computer can not access HTTP sites, HTTPS only

This is a discussion on Computer can not access HTTP sites, HTTPS only within the Inactive Malware Help Topics forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My dell dimension got a virus.. McAfee didnt really help. I ran it while in safe mode to try and

Old 07-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

My dell dimension got a virus.. McAfee didnt really help. I ran it while in safe mode to try and clean it up.. after I did, it let me use Real Player, and iTunes and photoshop and movie maker and what not.. everything, except access to the internet... we use mozy to back our stuff up, and it can connect there and it works, I guess cause its on a secured site... I can log onto my work email from home cause thats through a secured site... all the places Ive looked say that theres like a blocked port and I found the check box for HTTP proxy server... but that doesnt seem to work... something is blocking access.... I cant update McAffee cause I cant connect to the internet... I downloaded Microsoft Malicious program removal tool and brought it home on a thumbdrive... it ran its course but couldnt complete... geek squad wants $200 to fix it, but I can buy a netbook for like $300 so I dont want to spend it on that... I was thinking of wiping one of my hard drives (I have the original 60 gb that it came with, then the 120 that I bought couple years later and now we have a TB external hard drive that I moved all our photos, music and movies to) The original 60GB has nothing on it at all but a google folder that appears to be only viruses.. cause its 1GB used and most of it looks hidden... I want to take out our 120 GB hard drive that all of our stuff got transfered too (Photoshop, XP, all the good stuff) and unplugg the external and just use the blank one and put in the XP disc that came with the computer (But I dont know if I have a product key for that guy)... if I re-install XP on this 60gb drive... and the virus is on THAT drive... will it clean it out all together? and then I can try to plug the 120 gb internal drive back in and pull the things I need from there (like photoshop and what not)

Anyone know how to get my computer to be able to access NON secured sites?

Thanks
Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement