Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Inactive Malware Help Topics

User Tag List

After virus checking and cleaning, "lsass.exe" and "ipwins.dll" missing

This is a discussion on After virus checking and cleaning, "lsass.exe" and "ipwins.dll" missing within the Inactive Malware Help Topics forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My friend's computer seemingly got a virus, since it sent an email to somebody in her email list, on its

Old 04-23-2007, 07:28 AM   #1

My friend's computer seemingly got a virus, since it sent an email to somebody in her email list, on its own. She asked me to take a look.

She had a virus checker, but it had never been updated. So I installed "AVGfree" and ran that. It found a "trojan horse" virus as well as some other stuff that it said should be removed, so I did. I then ran "ccleaner" and it suggested to remove a TON of crap, like 500mb worth of files (she installs dumb stuff on her computer all the time). I removed these files. Then I ran "spybot" and it removed some stuff. I then defragged, which it needed.

So here I am, feeling like a hero, but then I reboot and there's a message saying that "lsass.exe" cannot be found. I cancel this message, and then there's another message saying that "ipwins.dll" cannot be found.

I tell her to just ignore these messages until I figure it out, but then she informs me today that she cannot access her email account on her computer. So I've gotta figure out how to fix this.

Any advice?? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007, 07:41 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

She could try the system file checker : tell her to prepare her XP CD (she'll need it if it asks to replace the missing files), then she will have to go to start => run, and type "sfc /scannow".

If that fails, she can perform a repair install if she has an OEM, retail or upgrade XP CD (recovery CD's cant' do that). She will have to boot on the cd, thus she needs first to change the boot order in the bios to CD-rom first. Then, when XP setup loads, choose the option "To setup Windows XP now" (not the one about recovery console). On the next screen (after the licence agreement) she should be given the option to repair her current xp installation by typing R.

Once that's done, if the CD wasn't a SP2 version, first thing is to go to windows update to reinstall XP SP2 and all updates she could have done since. Don't surf on the internet before any antivirus and firewall (either windows or another) is enabled.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #3
TSF Security Manager
Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello wonkle,

The infections were not removed properly and remnants remain. I'll move this thread to the HijackThis Log Help section.

Download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) to your Desktop.

What DSS will do:
  • create a new System Restore point in Windows XP and Vista.
  • clean your Temporary Files, Downloaded Program Files, and Internet Cache Files, and also empty the Recycle Bin on all drives.
  • check some important areas of your system and produce a report for your analyst to review.
  • DSS automatically runs HijackThis for you, but it will also install and place a shortcut to HijackThis on your desktop if you do not already have HijackThis installed.

Note: You must be logged onto an account with administrator privileges.
  1. Close all applications and windows.
  2. Double-click on dss.exe to run it, and follow the prompts.
  3. When the scan is complete, two text files will open - main.txt <- this one will be maximized and extra.txt <-this one will be minimized
  4. Copy (Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of main.txt in yournext reply.
  5. Please attach extra.txt to your post.
To attach a file to a new post, simply
  1. Click the[Manage Attachments] button under Additional Options > Attach Files on the post composition page, and
  2. copy and paste the following into the "Upload File from your Computer" box:
    C:\Deckard\System Scanner\extra.txt
  3. Click Upload.

Please include the following in your next reply:

main.txt
an attached extra.txt

Microsoft MVP - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

"It is one life whether we spend it laughing or weeping." "Take the time to laugh--it is the music of the soul."