Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Building

User Tag List

which slots do i put my ram in?

This is a discussion on which slots do i put my ram in? within the Building forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a total of 8 slots and I have four channels. The motherboard is a dx79si do i put

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a total of 8 slots and I have four channels. The motherboard is a dx79si

do i put them in the far left(bottom) four or just the blue slots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

This is from intel support pages for your board
System memory features
The board has eight DIMM sockets and supports the following memory features:

1.35 V DDR3 SDRAM DIMMs (JEDEC Specification)
Four independent memory channels with interleaved mode support
Unbuffered, single-sided, or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction: Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported.
64 GB maximum total system memory (using 4 Gb memory technology).
Minimum total system memory: 1 GB using 512 MB x16 module
Non-ECC and ECC DIMMs
Serial Presence Detect
DDR3 2400 MHz, 2133 MHz, 1866 MHz, 1600 MHz, 1333 MHz, and 1066 MHz SDRAM DIMMs
XMP performance profile support for memory speeds above 1600 MHz
Full support for over clocking memory
DIMM slots are numbered in installation order

For full compliance with all applicable DDR SDRAM memory specifications, the board must use DIMMs that support the Serial Presence Detect (SPD) data structure. This allows the BIOS to read the SPD data and program the chipset to accurately configure memory settings for optimum performance.

1.5 V is the recommended and default setting for DDR3 memory voltage. The other memory voltage settings in the BIOS Setup program are provided for performance tuning purposes only. Altering the memory voltage may (i) reduce system stability and the useful life of the system, memory, and processor; (ii) cause the processor and other system components to fail; (iii) cause reductions in system performance; (iv) cause additional heat or other damage; and (v) affect system data integrity.

Intel has not tested and does not warranty the operation of the processor beyond its specifications. For information on the processor warranty, see the Processor Warranty Information.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Refer to your motherboard manual pages 12-13 and 42-43

• If you are installing four or fewer DIMMs, use the blue sockets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcavan View Post
Refer to your motherboard manual pages 12-13 and 42-43

• If you are installing four or fewer DIMMs, use the blue sockets.
As above. ^
The Mobo manual, that should be read before building, will have the correct info and probably includes diagrams/pictures.

Closed Thread