Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Building

User Tag List

What is M.2 PCIe?

This is a discussion on What is M.2 PCIe? within the Building forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am having trouble working out what type of SSD to buy for my gaming build. I see on mobo's

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am having trouble working out what type of SSD to buy for my gaming build. I see on mobo's there is an M.2 connector for an M.2 SSD. I also saw PCIe SSD's which plug into a PCIe slot on the mobo and has a backplate. Then I saw M.2 PCIe SSD's.

Please correct me if this is wrong. I read about the M.2 mobo connection and it is virtually a SATA connector with limits around 540 MBps. I am guessing it is simply a cleaner solution to the regular SSD having a power cable and data cable. I can think of no other reason for M.2 to exist.

I went to newegg.com to look up M.2 and found 2-3 different connections, similar to this image. (random link from image search: https://www.ramcity.com.au/assets/im...connectors.jpg ) Are there two different M.2 standards on mobos? Do some PCIe slot SSD's look similar to M.2 connector SSD's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Some motherboards correct M.2 directly attached to the motherboard, others require a PCI slot to be used.

Honestly, I'd recommend sticking with the traditional SSD and connecting it to a SATA port.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
Troubled

I totally agree I prefer the standard SATA 6 port for SSD's as well.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista reboots before login
Hello everyone, A client brought to me a PC with Windows Vista SP2 installed. Just before the login, the systems restarts without a BSOD. I have already check HDD and RAM and there is nothing wrong. I also tried system restore, the system booted, but after a restart, the same happened. Also...
John_F_L Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 9 01-01-2015 12:23 PM
Slow boot, even during clean boot
For a couple years now my computer has been booting slowly, no matter what I try to do to fix it. Typical boot time is between 81-92 seconds, and even a clean boot took 77 seconds. I know it's not as bad as it could be, but I'm very proud of how clean my computer is, and it's frustrating. One...
Jarius Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 8 09-20-2013 12:32 PM
Which SATA PCIe Card, please help?
Hey Guys, Ive been upgrading one of my PC's the past few days, I am fairly new to getting stuck into them myself, as my friends usually built my systems. Anyways im out of internal SATA ports now and Need to add at least one more drive. I was looking at some PCIe cards and i am having trouble...
realizment Other Hardware Support 5 05-20-2013 10:34 PM
Will a PCIE 2.0 or 2.1 x16 card work on a motherboard that only has a PCIE x16 slot?
I am getting conflicting info on this subject from other sites. If I have an older mobo that has a PCIE x16 slot, can I upgrade to a PCIE 2.0 or PCIE 2.1 video card? I've read on other sites that I can upgrade to 2.0 as long as I pick a passive, non-cooled card. Most say that this is correct with...
robd1 Video Card Support 5 07-11-2011 04:45 PM
PCIe expander over fiber?
Is there a product that will allow me to extend a PCIe Gen2 bus over fiber to a 4 slot expansion backplane? HBA in PCIe BUS>fiber> 4 Slot PCIe expansion backplane. I dont need the distance, but the convenience of a bulkhead fiber transition connection. thanks for any thoughts
rkruz Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 0 05-16-2011 06:15 PM