Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Building

User Tag List

Upgrading 512 boot SSD to 1Tb SSD

This is a discussion on Upgrading 512 boot SSD to 1Tb SSD within the Building forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. While since I posted here and hope this is the right forum if not please move to correct forum. I

Old 05-11-2020, 05:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

While since I posted here and hope this is the right forum if not please move to correct forum.

I have an Aurora R9 with a 512Gb SSD boot drive and a 2Tb HDD. The PC is used exclusively for flight sims and now the boot drive is practically full as the scenery files are huge. To resolve this I have bought a Evo Pro 970 1Tb SSD. As the R9 has only one SSD slot I am going to clone/image, using Macrium, the 512Gb boot SSD to the HDD. When this is done I will replace the 512 SSD with the 1Tb and then clone the image back from the HDD. Hopefully this will all work and I will be able to boot from the 1Tb SSD. IIRC I also need to specify that it is an MBR primary partition.

Has anyone done this and is there anything else I should know about before attempting it - I do not want to brick it!.

Thanks
sunbeamtalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 11:24 PM   #2
Registered Member

OS: Windows 10 Pro and Linux Mint 19.3 (Primary) Displayed on a Samsung 48" 4K Curved TV

My System

I do it ALL the time with HD to SSD upgrades and sometimes from one SSD to another.

Copy the current SSD to the new SSD and then swap them out.
If the system doesn't boot then the copy didn't work and since I don't know much about Macrium I can't say much about it. I personally use Paragon Hard Disk Utility.
And if you don't already have one you may need a NVME USB adapter so you can interface with both drives at the same time otherwise you'd need to use another functioning system to interface with both your drives to copy one drive to another.

And yes you can copy a working system to a drive though you don't want any active applications during the copying process, let it sit and run with very little going on to minimize the chances of corrupting something.
visseroth is offline   Reply With Quote

« 1600 intel build | - »