Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Building

User Tag List

GPU and motherboard not getting along.

This is a discussion on GPU and motherboard not getting along. within the Building forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently purchased the parts to assemble a new rig, but I ran into a snag. After I put all

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

I recently purchased the parts to assemble a new rig, but I ran into a snag. After I put all the components in and turned the computer on, it would quickly turn on then right back off, and I wouldn't be able to turn it back on until I cut the power completely and then plugged in back in again.

So, I went through some basic troubleshooting, checking the CPU, RAM, etc. But I found that the GPU was causing the problem. I removed the GPU and the computer turns on just fine and goes through POST. Naturally, I assume the GPU is to blame then, and I plugged my old, fully functional GPU back in. Except the power went back to on and off immediately. I tried switching to the other PCI-E slot, as well. Nothing seems to work, and it appears that all PCI-E slots are preventing me from booting.

How do I go about making my computer turn on?

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950
CPU: Intel Core i7-875K 2.93GHz Quad-core
RAM: G.SKILL 8GB (2x 4GB) 240-pin DDR3 1600
PSU: Seasonic SS-850HT 850W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Install the known good card, clear the CMOS, and then try to boot. If it still doesn't work, RMA the motherboard. It would appear to be faulty.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

Unfortunately the good card won't help for this because it still just turns back off before going through POST. I'm not sure if the PCI-E slots are just causing a short, because that's what it seems like. What's confusing me is how it goes through POST without a hitch as long as there's nothing in the PCI-E slots.

I'll ask a buddy of mine when he gets out of work, if not I'll just do an RMA and try again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Using the integrated check the voltages in the Bios 12v, 5v, 3.3v. Excellent Power supply your using but it's best to check them.

What is the brand and model of the second card?

check in the Bios for the ability to set the integrated video to Disabled.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

try running the system on a bench build

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...em-171424.html

also; did you check to be sure your cpu is supported by your motherboard bios revision?
Old 01-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Linderman's correct, you don't have integrated video so the board is not booting, just hanging on post because of no video when the card is removed.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

I will do a full bench test with the system to see if that will help. But since the mobo has no integrated video, if the system hangs on post during a bench test, would it be best ot assume that it's a faulty mobo and to do an RMA?
Old 01-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Do the bench test, with the video card installed, use 1 stick of ram only, if you have access to a 1 or 2 gig stick use that to test with.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Also, if you have access to a PCI video card, you can use that in place of the PCIe, in case there is a socket issue.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogano View Post
I will do a full bench test with the system to see if that will help. But since the mobo has no integrated video, if the system hangs on post during a bench test, would it be best ot assume that it's a faulty mobo and to do an RMA?

I am using the same mobo and have sold numerous of them; see many more "other" errors and memory problems more so than DOA boards

dont get things out of step / follow the bench guide ECACTLY dont skip or abbreviate any steps
Old 01-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
Registered Member

Did a bench test, exactly as the guide told me to and the same things happened. Even with a PCI GPU in, the same deal. It seems that all the PCI and PCI-E slots are responding the same way. I'm gonna do an RMA and if the next one does the same thing, I'll ask again.

I'll pupdate you all regardless of what happens. Thanks a bunch for all your help. Sometimes not everything works as well as it's supposed to.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

yup ............rma that motherboatrd
Closed Thread