Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

User Tag List

Screen Image Disappears at Startup

This is a discussion on Screen Image Disappears at Startup within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This is a 2013 Toshiba Lx835-D325 all-in-one with a 3rd generation Intel i7 CPU. Originally had a 2 TB HDD

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JimE
  • 1 Post By JimE

Old 01-12-2020, 10:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

This is a 2013 Toshiba Lx835-D325 all-in-one with a 3rd generation Intel i7 CPU. Originally had a 2 TB HDD and takes a 180 Wat AC adapter.

The screen shows a "no media found" message for 5 seconds when first engaged by attaching the AC adapter plug, then fades back to a black screen. The power button starts the machine but no display image is revealed unless detaching and then re-attaching the power plug.

The power button lights, starts the computer but fails to engage a display image. Could it be the power switch? The small power switch board is shown in the last picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6186.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	324990   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6180.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	324992   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6192 (2).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	324994  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6185 (2).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	324996  
manhattanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 05:46 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

If the machine is powering up, it's likely not the power switch. A faulty switch would typically result in the machine not powering up at all.

I don't know the default behavior of that model, but the "no media found" would indicate the "C:" or boot drive is not found...thus it can't boot.

Are you able to boot into the BIOS?

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:35 AM   #3
Registered Member

No, it won't boot into bios. The screen image disappears in about 5 seconds. It can't be retained. When lighted, the screen looks good, though.

The switch made a strange sound when starting, but makes no sound now. Also, now it won't turn off the machine. It turned the machine off when I first used it.

The switch performs erratically. I bought another identical switch on eBay. It should be here this weekend. I'll report back with results.

Also, where can I determine the sizes of the cabinet screws? They were missing when I found the machine. There are 7 larger screws, all the same size, and 2 smaller feet screws, also the same size. I've been in touch with Toshiba. They don't know the screw sizes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 12:48 AM   #4
Moderator - Hardware

My System

If it were me, I have an assortment of computer parts (including screws), so I would just try various ones until I found some that fit and then just take working screws with me to the store to buy more if needed. If Toshiba can't tell you, I don't know who else you could ask. I would expect that information to be in the maintainance manual for that model, but I don't know if Toshiba supplies those or not.

As for switches, computers generally use momentary contact switches and not breaker type switches. That's why you can bypass the switch and simple use a metal object, such as a screwdriver, to short the two motherboard pins (for the power switch) and get a computer to boot. Shutdown with this type of switch is BIOS controlled. So after the computer boots, the BIOS will often offer settings to control power switch behavior when the computer is running. The most common and default setting is holding the power switch for x number of seconds to trigger shutdown.

In your case, the system is powering on, which indicates the switch is working. If it's not completing POST, that would explain why you have no video and also explain why the power switch can't shut the system off.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yes. I did all of the things you mention in your first paragraph. I only found one appropriate screw. After taking it to a hardware store for a size determination, the employee dropped the screw and it was lost somewhere. After sweeping up the floor the screw couldn't be located in the refuse. I think it's a standard 6-32 thread, 3/16" long, but it might be a metric 3mm with a 50 pitch. Both sizes fit the screw holes.

As to the power switch, regardless of how long the switch is held down the computer doesn't shut off.

In your opinion, what is the problem? Is it repairable? If so, how can it be repaired?
Old 01-20-2020, 06:15 AM   #6
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Anything can be fixed. The question is it worth the time, effort, and cost. In most cases, especially with a 6+ year old computer, I'd say move on.

As you are dealing with an "all-in-one" model, your troubleshooting efforts are going to be hindered by the design. In any case, start with the sticky: https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...er-918754.html
manhattanman likes this.

Old 01-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

You were right about the switch. Replacing it didn't make any difference.

I'll check your recommended link and get back. Unless it's specifically motherboard related it's probably worth fixing. It MSRPed at $1,400 in 2012 and got good reviews. I found it in an apartment building's basement.

Are there any other tech information leads you can supply?
Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM   #8
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Aside from the sticky (some of which won't be possible with an all-in-one), I'd start with the basics. Open it up, disconnect and reconnect all cables and cards (including RAM). Could be something is just loose.

Aside from that, likely not completing POST and it's likely a hardware fault. The sticky will hopefully narrow it down.
manhattanman likes this.

« Low FPS on good pc | - »