Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

User Tag List

Is something wrong with my psu?

This is a discussion on Is something wrong with my psu? within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey people. My psu recently died. My old PSU (zalman 600-p) started whistling and only way I could turn on

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey people.

My psu recently died. My old PSU (zalman 600-p) started whistling and only way I could turn on my computer was to switch the power off and on and wait five seconds, but now tha doesn't work as my computers LED blinks and its fans turn and wouldn't turn.

So I bought a new psu made by silverstone. (Sst-st50f-p) 500watts.
I'm pretty new to these whole psu thing so forgive me if I got any terms wrong. And I will probably need simple explanations without any terms that may be difficult for me to understand.

So my problem is after I installed the new psu, my computer LED would flash for half a second and turn off. Meanwhile LED Next to my power button blinks in a stable manner (stable pattern). My motherboard have solid green light, no blinking or anythibg.
So my computer in general receives power for half a second and turns off.
Even my rear case fan turns for half a second and stops. (Other fans wouldn't budge at all though. Not even the PSU fan)

This is how I installed my psu. Since I know not of any specific terms for them I will just name what it says on the psu.

EPS 8 pin is connected to motherboard cpu connector which is 4 pin. (4 pin head is labeled 'PCI-2" or "H/0" or something. This connector also has another 4 pin head, which doesn't fit into the motherboard at all.)
8 pin pcie is connected to two 6 pin to gtx 560 nvidia gpu. One pcie connector has two six pin heads, which are both connected to the GPU.
6 pin IDE/SATA is connected to 2 hard drives.

Am I doing something wrong?
Also I tried turning on the computer without connecting to energy consuming hardwares such as my GPU, thinking the PSU might not have enough watts. But it is still the same.
I have no jump start cables.

Edit: My specifications
Windows 7 32-bit
E8500 Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz
Nvidia 560 GTX 1 GB RAM
2GB RAM

Sorry I wrote this quite hastily on the phone. Sorry for grammar errors. Best regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Is there a 12v plug that looks like this

IS it plugged in? The plugin should be near the CPU and PSU. It should be plugged in.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 03-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yes it looks exactly like that. It has 2 heads, but only 1 of it fits into the motherboard. It is located near where the CPU should be. I have connected it. But only one of it, since there is only 1 place to connect that, and the other head doesn't fit. And this thing leads to the PSU which is the 8-pin, place labeled, EPS.

Edit: Just googled EPS, and it should be what yo usaid. 12V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Emeritus

The new PSU is poor quality and underpowered for your hardware.
SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (not the CX-GS0M Series) are top quality.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
The new PSU is poor quality and underpowered for your hardware.
SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (not the CX-GS0M Series) are top quality.
Is that so?
Is that why my power LED is blinking and my pc doesn't turn on? I need to know before I ship it back.

Newegg.com - XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Is that good enough. If not then recommend me lists. Please I need answer quick as I need to use this computer at the office. Its been three days without a computer to work on. I greatly appreciate it thanks.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:02 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

the aux power plug that goes into the m/board usually has 2 black and 2 yellow wires

All about the various PC power supply cables and connectors

Old 03-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
the aux power plug that goes into the m/board usually has 2 black and 2 yellow wires

All about the various PC power supply cables and connectors
I think I connected everything correctly. It's just that my psu may be underpowered acording to the previous answer by tyree.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
Registered Member

Update:

This time, I attempted to start my computer without my GPU attached to the motherboard. Now this is a serious problem in my opinion...

Could it be my motherboard? PSU? How I connected the wires?

The rear case fan at least turn for one second or less. The Power LED at the front of the case, next to the power button at least blink in a stable pattern. What could be the problem? Could it still be the PSU?

If it's the PSU's problem, I am glad, because I am able to return it for refund at ease. But if it's the motherboard, I not only have to buy the motherboard, but a new PSU as well.

I have caught attention of a 600 watts corsair G600 (gaming series) at best buy when I was shopping for a PSU tester (which they didn't carry in store). Maybe I should try buying that?
Old 03-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

the only corsair models recommended are

tx.hx.ax

the rest should be avoided

if you plugged the plug in post 2 into the aux power socket you may have blown the m/b

with the aux power lead

blacks are ground wires

yellow are 12v lines

do the psu first and see where you stand

Old 03-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
the only corsair models recommended are

tx.hx.ax

the rest should be avoided

if you plugged the plug in post 2 into the aux power socket you may have blown the m/b

with the aux power lead

blacks are ground wires

yellow are 12v lines

do the psu first and see where you stand
I will first buy a new PSU...

What are some symptoms of a blown mobo? Its power led comes on fine. Solid green and no blinks.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Is the motherboards speaker hooked up? If so remove the memory and it will make a series of beeps. If you hear no beeps with all the memory removed then the motherboard is dead.
Closed Thread