Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

User Tag List

Desktop won't power on

This is a discussion on Desktop won't power on within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I appreciate this is probably going to be guesswork, but here goes. I have an Acer Aspire desktop, which all

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

I appreciate this is probably going to be guesswork, but here goes.

I have an Acer Aspire desktop, which all of a sudden won't power on, and I am wondering if anybody know what might be the cause of it.

Prior to this happening, there was no obvious sign of an imminent hardware failure.

The power button feels no different to when it was working (so I don't think it's simply a worn power button). I know the power lead works as I've tried it on another PC.

Any ideas as to what could be the cause of this?

It was running running Windows Vista, but that's all I can remember about the OS (it is a little while since it happened).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Next to where the AC plug is plugged into the computer there's another on-off switch. Make sure it's on. If necessary, there are ways to start a computer without the "button".

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

I've looked all over the casing, including where you said, and there's not another on/off button or switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If you have the switch, it's not obvious. Shine a flashlight into the area. It would be a "slider". I'm sorry about mentioning alternate means since you can't get into the bios. I long ago set mine up to use a keyboard start, but the bios must be changed to do it. A jumper might also, but I don't know the details. Finally, the problem could be a shot PSU or an original lightning strike.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hi Hordriss

Do the fans spin, or try to spin when it's switched on?

Also, you'll need to remove the side-panel (left side when looking at the front of the PC, 2-3 screws on the back, where the panel bends round the corner) then can you see if there's a lit LED on the motherboard anywhere?
Old 06-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBo View Post
Hi Hordriss

Do the fans spin, or try to spin when it's switched on?

Also, you'll need to remove the side-panel (left side when looking at the front of the PC, 2-3 screws on the back, where the panel bends round the corner) then can you see if there's a lit LED on the motherboard anywhere?
No signs of life whatsoever. No movement of fans or turning on of lights.

I'll need to remove the panel tomorrow (it's in my son's room and he's asleep at the moment so I don't want to disturb him).
Old 06-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Most likely cause would be a faulty power supply or motherboard. And technically the power switch. But switch failure isn't that common. In any event, you can rule out the switch by shorting the power switch pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
Registered Member

I was worried it may be the motherboard, as I understand that can be both problematic and expensive to fix.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
Registered Member

OK, no LED on the motherboard at all, lit or otherwise.

Here's some pics of the what it looks like inside, in case that gives any clues:

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Not all mobos have an LED on them, but they're a handy indication when fitted. It looks like the CMOS-battery is just below and right of the 4 orange SATA-drive sockets, fairly clear in pic #3.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBo View Post
Not all mobos have an LED on them, but they're a handy indication when fitted. It looks like the CMOS-battery is just below and right of the 4 orange SATA-drive sockets, fairly clear in pic #3.
Is that a good or bad thing? Or indifferent?

Sorry, you'll have to excuse my cluelessness!
Old 06-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Try looking for the switch I previously mentioned on the back of the PSU.
There's also a power button on the MOBO. You might need a magnifying glass to see it. Finally if you know how you can jump the MOBO. If it works, you can either replace the power button or plug the unit into a power strip with an on-off switch and not need the button.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Having an LED on the mobo helps narrow down the fault as to whether the Power Supply Unit is faulty.

If there's no movement at all from any of the fans when you press the power-button, it's likely to be the PSU that's died (The big metal box with masses of leads coming out of it, some to the hard-drives and a big bundle plugged into the mobo).

Please post the exact model of the Acer PC, so we can recommend a suitable replacement for it.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #14
Registered Member

It's an Acer Aspire m1641. And as I said, there is no other switch on the back of the PSU. I'll post a pic in a second to show you.

EDIT: Here it is.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

As it's a Micro Tower, first generation Sata and Pci-e, i'd suggest buying a complete new case with system, preferably in a m-ATX or ATX case with a bit more room inside to upgrade if needed later.
The power supply is only a 250W unit also, which limits what can be done with the original unit. If you feel you want to repair the old unit, then any ATX power supply should fit, mind the length though, as some of the higher power units can intrude further into the case.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #16
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Two posters say PSU. I'm concerned if you just make the purchase, it could still be something else. There are tests for all computer components. If you feel comfortable, try this: PC Tip: Testing a Power Supply with The Paper Clip Test - YouTube

Old 06-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #17
Registered Member

I'll have to give that a try at some point. Thanks for posting that video.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #18
Emeritus

The paper clip test will tell you if the PSU is capable of running but will not determine if it has sufficient power to boot the PC.
If your Mobo does have an LED and it is not lit, that indicates that no power is being received by the Mobo.
Do you have, or can you borrow, a known working PSU to try?

Closed Thread