Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

User Tag List

A couple of power supply questions

This is a discussion on A couple of power supply questions within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I got a cheap case with a 350W ATX power supply. I also got an Intel Motherboard and P4 processor.

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 11:44 AM   #1

I got a cheap case with a 350W ATX power supply. I also got an Intel Motherboard and P4 processor. I was reading at the Intel site that you should not use the 1x4 power (Molex) with a converter to a 2x2 12V plug for the P4 system, instead you should use an ATX12V power supply. Now I know this is probably a silly question, but the power supply that came with the case is listed as an ATX power supply. That article said use an ATX12V power supply and not an ATX. But, the power supply in the case has a 2x2 12V plug. Is it safe to assume that the power supply actually is an ATX12V since it has that plug?

I'm not at the computer now, so I'm saying this from what I remember. I believe I have 2 free molex connectors. I am running 4 SATA drives in a RAID. The drives have the option of using a molex connector or a SATA power connection. I can get 2 y-splitters to run power to the drives from the 2 molex connectors. Is their any difference in using molex or SATA power connectors to the drives? The only thing I can tell is that a molex to SATA splitter cost a little more than a molex to molex splitter.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
Citizen of the world

The whole point of the four pin molex 12V connector is for P4 equipped boards, so I have to assume it's designed for the P4 MB's.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:24 PM   #3

Thanks John, hence the "silly" question. By the way, I couldn't find a molex y-splitter to sata power converter anywhere other than ordering one. I went to CompUSA and all they had was molex to moles so that's what I got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2005, 12:55 PM   #4
Citizen of the world

I've never seen that particular adapter, and I'd wonder about it's use anyway. The whole point of a P4 compatible P/S is the extra capacity of the +12V supply, since that powers the switching regulator on the board for the processor VCC.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITLogic()
I'm not at the computer now, so I'm saying this from what I remember. I believe I have 2 free molex connectors. I am running 4 SATA drives in a RAID. The drives have the option of using a molex connector or a SATA power connection. I can get 2 y-splitters to run power to the drives from the 2 molex connectors. Is their any difference in using molex or SATA power connectors to the drives? The only thing I can tell is that a molex to SATA splitter cost a little more than a molex to molex splitter.

Thanks!
The difference between the Molex connector and the SATA power connector is at the drive. The newer style connector carries +3.3v, as well as +5 and +12. Current drives don't use the lower voltage option, but surely will in the future. Plus this is needed for the hot swap feature of the SATA drives.
Another note: You mentioned that you bought a cheap case with a power supply. I would not trust that PSU to hold up with 4 HDs, an optical drive, MB, processor and any fans. If this was mine I would pitch the power supply and buy a good name brand PSU like Antec or Enermax. Cheap cases come with cheap PSUs. They use inferior parts in them because they are pretty much give-aways with the case.

You don't pull a mobile home with a Yugo.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:26 PM   #6
Citizen of the world

crazijoe, it seems he shifted gears from the processor power plug to the SATA power plug, and I was a step behind!
Old 01-25-2005, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwill
crazijoe, it seems he shifted gears from the processor power plug to the SATA power plug, and I was a step behind!
It's all good.
Closed Thread