Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

User Tag List

Update HDMI port

This is a discussion on Update HDMI port within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys I have a lenovo Z710 IdeaPad. It has Intel HD 4600 Graphics. As well as an NVIDIA GeForce

Old 05-15-2020, 11:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys

I have a lenovo Z710 IdeaPad. It has Intel HD 4600 Graphics. As well as an NVIDIA GeForce 840 dedicated GPU. From my understanding, BOTH of these graphics cards can support 4K at 60hz. However, at 4K I am only getting 30hz.

After trying everything else, would it be possible to update the HDMI port? I am good at soldering and stuff, my true question is: is it just the port or is the circuitry (pin count, diagram, etc) going to limit me as well?
elesbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2020, 12:36 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I can't see any reason to use the on-board utility. If you temporarily disable it, does the Nvidia card give you 60hz? Also, the refresh rate of the monitor is dependent on the card. That might be why you're concerned, but the reverse is also true so you might want to see what your Idea Pad can actually take. I believe overpowering gives distortion.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What is the Make and Model# of your Monitor? Do you know the Default Resolution for 4K with 60Hz refresh rate for this monitor?
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2020, 01:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
I can't see any reason to use the on-board utility. If you temporarily disable it, does the Nvidia card give you 60hz? Also, the refresh rate of the monitor is dependent on the card. That might be why you're concerned, but the reverse is also true so you might want to see what your Idea Pad can actually take. I believe overpowering gives distortion.
Temporarily disabling the Intel HD graphics in Windows Device Manager causes ONLY the Laptop screen to work In addition, opening the NVIDIA display panel says "no displays are currently using the NVIDIA GPU"

This was a good idea. Didn't work though, got any other ideas? How does one truly see what my IdeaPad can actually take?

I have Googled and found other users with the same problem- 4K @30hz only. Those users also couldn't find an answer - even from Lenovo.

I did some more research just now. According to this:https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-3-50-ghz.html

I am limited to 30hz. However, it still says "HDMI 1.4" but, going along with the idea that it is possible to solder a 2.0 HDMI port in, would it give me 60hz?
Old 05-15-2020, 04:34 PM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

[QUOTE=elesbb;7778186]Temporarily disabling the Intel HD graphics in Windows Device Manager causes ONLY the Laptop screen to work.

Please explain. You didn't mention dual screens.

Old 05-16-2020, 02:14 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
What is the Make and Model# of your External Monitor?
Old 05-20-2020, 06:30 AM   #7
Registered Member

I wish I could remember the source for this, but it had to do with retailers up selling HDMI cables as being necessary for 4K/3D/X-FPS. The physical properties of either the port or type of HDMI cable is irrelevant. Itís just pipe. Limitations are either OS, GPU, or App (or the Display). It was from Tom's Hardware around the same time as 4k TVs were becoming mid-market.
burndonesinkcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
What is the Make and Model# of your Monitor? Do you know the Default Resolution for 4K with 60Hz refresh rate for this monitor?
Hi, sorry, didn't see your post! But it is an Asus MG28UQ Gaming Monitor
In HDMI Port 1 it says 4k @ 60hz

Quote:
Please explain. You didn't mention dual screens.
Well, it is a laptop. So the only way I can get 4k is with a second screen. The second screen, monitor name above, is connected to the only HDMI port on the laptop. When I disable the onboard graphics, only the laptop screen works.

When I looked this up, from my understanding, the GeFORCE graphics card handles the workload, then passes the frames to the onboard, and the onboard displays them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burndonesinkcha View Post
I wish I could remember the source for this, but it had to do with retailers up selling HDMI cables as being necessary for 4K/3D/X-FPS. The physical properties of either the port or type of HDMI cable is irrelevant. Itís just pipe. Limitations are either OS, GPU, or App (or the Display). It was from Tom's Hardware around the same time as 4k TVs were becoming mid-market.
I would have to disagree on the physical properties part. I have had older HDMI cables not work with HDMI arc support, so I wouldn't be surprised if the port too would need to be upgraded.

However, I haven't found the exact physical differences of HDMI port versions.. So I am not understanding how/why the port matters.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

the max resolution differs for each of the MONITOR'S two HDMI ports; it's 4K @30Hz on HDMI-1 and 4K @ 60Hz on HDMI-2 . Get an HDMI cable from the monitor's HDMI-2 port and connect it to my laptop's USB Type-C port HDMI > Type-C adapter
Old 05-21-2020, 04:51 PM   #10
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb View Post
Temporarily disabling the Intel HD graphics in Windows Device Manager causes ONLY the Laptop screen to work In addition, opening the NVIDIA display panel says "no displays are currently using the NVIDIA GPU"
This doesn't make sense. Which screen is your main display? If it's the monitor, does your laptop screen come back to normal when unplugging the monitor.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:49 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
the max resolution differs for each of the MONITOR'S two HDMI ports; it's 4K @30Hz on HDMI-1 and 4K @ 60Hz on HDMI-2 . Get an HDMI cable from the monitor's HDMI-2 port and connect it to my laptop's USB Type-C port HDMI > Type-C adapter
Um no actually.. It even says on the monitor "HDMI 1 2.0". Second, where did USB Type C port come from?????

Quote:
This doesn't make sense. Which screen is your main display? If it's the monitor, does your laptop screen come back to normal when unplugging the monitor.
The main screen is the secondary monitor. I have it set up to extend, so yes when the monitor is disconnected, the laptop screen works. But with the internal graphics card (intel) disabled, only the laptop screen works. From what I have been reading, you need the onboard graphics in order for the dedicated graphics to work, everything gets passed through the onboard graphics in a laptop. Not the same way in a desktop though.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:49 AM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Go through 3 pages of this for ideas: https://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-...ics-cards.html