Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

User Tag List

No Display (1 Long, 3 Short Beeps)

This is a discussion on No Display (1 Long, 3 Short Beeps) within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm currently fixing a friend's PC that's having a no display problem. It beeps 4 times (1 long, 3 short)

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

I'm currently fixing a friend's PC that's having a no display problem. It beeps 4 times (1 long, 3 short) at POST every time I switch it on. I googled the POST code, and it says that 1 long and 3 short beeps is a videocard problem, particularly the VRAM. I tried switching the system RAMs first just in case, because other sites say that 1 long and 3 short beeps is a System RAM problem. I tried re-seatting them in all possible combinations but to no avail. It's still giving me the same number of beeps. I also tried plugging it into the other PCIE slot, but it still did't work.

I tried cleaning the videocard, and re-applied some thermal paste as it was not opened for 3+ years. So imagine how bad the dust was on the heatsink/fans. The original thermal paste was also very dry, and there's barely left on the GPU itself. After cleaning it and putting it back together, I plugged it again, but it's still giving me the same beeping sound, and still no display.

His system's specs are:
AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition
ASUS M5A97 LE Rev 2.0
2x 4GB Geil RAMs
Sapphire HD 6950
Aerocool Strike X 650W
2x HDDs

Hoping to pinpoint the problem better, I took home his RAMs and Sapphire 6950 to check it on my PC. I tried his (8GB Geil) RAMs on my system (Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, i5 4570, Corsair GS700), and it worked. So I guess it's safe to assume that his RAMs aren't causing the problem. But when I plugged his Sapphire 6950, it also won't show up on my display, but in my case, my motherboard doesn't give any beeping sound. The fact that It also has no display on mine rules out the possibility of a bad motherboard (or PCI-E slot), or a bad PSU, as my system is relatively newer than his.

I have yet to try my Zotac GTX 970 on his system, and I'm looking at two scenarios:

1.) If my GTX 970 does WORK on his system, then I can finally conclude that his Sapphire 6950 IS causing the problem. Now my question is this. What possibly could have gone wrong with the 6950? If the POST code says it's a video RAM problem, does that mean the the VRAMs of the 6950 got fried or something? Is there some way to fix it?

2.) If my GTX 970 DOESNT WORK, then how can I determine if it's his aging PSU or motherboard that's causing the problem? Or worse, something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

The beep code depends on who your mobo BIOS vendor is.....generally speaking that beep code is for a bad GPU.

This is from Asus..... https://support.asus.com/pcassistant/...able_en-us.pdf

General Codes: Award BIOS Beep Codes - BIOS Central
Old 01-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, that's what my gut feel says too. Also, I don't remember seeing any blown capacitor or VRM when I re-applied the thermal paste. But when I checked the back of the PCB, I saw some weird, dark yellowish stains around a few solders, specifically on the part where the GPU is, and a brownish burn-like stain on a pair of very small solders where the VRMs are. The only thing left to do is to test my GPU on his system so I can confirm that it's the 6950 that's causing the problem. Will update this post once I do.

Thank you @bassfisher6522 for taking the time to answer. Really appreciate it! \m/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Great job of troubleshooting and I wold be surprised if the video card deosn't work on his system though the slot cold also be bad but I doubt it. The Psu is not a good one and it is possible the psu blew away the video slots as when poor quality psus degrade, they do damage to good working components quite often. I just realized the Aerocool is Cooler Master and those could be the worst I have ever used.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread