Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

User Tag List

GPU Upgrade?

This is a discussion on GPU Upgrade? within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, community, I need some advice re a possible GPU ugrade, and I couldn't think of a better place to

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, community, I need some advice re a possible GPU ugrade, and I couldn't think of a better place to start than our community.

I currently have an Nvidia 560ti Superclocked GPU running in my exactly one-year-old build (paired with 8gb of ram, an i5-2400k CPU, and recently upgraded SSD).

Overall, although I understand that it isn't top-of-the-line, I get some very nice performance out of this machine (including the 560ti Superclocked GPU), and it seems to fit my needs and run what I need it to for the time being.

I noticed today, however, that Amazon looks like they dropped their prices on their Nvidia 660ti Superclocked card. I am tempted to go ahead and do the upgrade as it will be about 250ish dollars, but I question pound-for-pound how significant my LITERAL performance increase will end up being.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that spec-for-spec the 660ti outperforms the 560ti. However, I simply cannot decide if the actual performance increase makes it a worthwhile upgrade at the moment.

My Plan B is to wait until the GTX 680 drops down in price (which I know is a pretty marked increase in performance), and upgrade significantly vs. what may be incrementally with the 660ti.

What do you folks think? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

-RLFiredancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
Emeritus

The 660 ti is a pretty good upgrade but I would be hesitant to say it's worth $250.
Personally, I would until you can afford the GTX 680.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks, Tyree, I appreciate the feedback.

I technically can "afford" the 680 right now if I really wanted to throw down the cash, but I just don't know if it is worth it at the moment - again, although I know it is a far superior card, my 560ti runs what I need it to at descent performance for the foreseeable future of what I want to play (Sim City, Tomb Raider, etc.).

I am thinking that I will wait until the summer/holiday season to throw a 680 in there to "catch up" with the PS4 / Xbox 720 release and prep for Watchdogs and some other "next" gen stuff.

I am just so curious as to how my current rig is going to "stack up" against the next gen counsels when they come out.

Hopefully the 680 will take a price cut by the summer/holiday and it will simply make more sense in terms of a performance increase to upgrade at that time vs. now.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Emeritus

GPU model prices "usually' drop when the next series is released.
Those that have to have the "latest and greatest" pay the price markup for the new series to make up for the price reduction in the old series.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Troubled

I agree with Tryee. I would wait until the new series are out, then look for a GTX 670 if it were me. (or HD7950)
Closed Thread