Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Windows Detects No Playback Devices

This is a discussion on Windows Detects No Playback Devices within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have done several searches to resolve my problem, however at this time they have been fruitless. Problem: Windows is

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 07:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have done several searches to resolve my problem, however at this time they have been fruitless.

Problem: Windows is currently showing no playback or recording devices; however, I am still able to hear sound...sometimes. The volume mixer panel also shows an abundance of device. When playing an .m4a file, sound is heard as normal, but when playing a .mp3 windows informs me that it cannot detect a playback device.

Attempted Solutions:
1)I have uninstalled all audio drives, including hidden ones and re-installed.
2)I have attempted to disable and re-enable the Windows Audio service.
3)I have attempted to run Windows Troubleshooter.
4)I have reinstalled the Motherboard Audio divers

Computer Specs:
Inteal i5 2500K
Asus P8Z68-V PRO BIOS Version: 1101
8GB of PNY RAM & 2GB of Patriot RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6950

All help is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-22_8-42-37.png
Views:	86
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	205978   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-22_8-43-04.png
Views:	81
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	205986   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-22_8-44-54.png
Views:	76
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	206002  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

You can also check Device Manager. Hardware not being listed, indicates that it is not being recognized by Windows. This is not a driver/software issue. Drivers are needed by Windows to interface with hardware. If the hardware is simply not being seen, it is typically a hardware fault.

When it "briefly" works, you will likely see it listed in Device Manager. When it stops, you will likely see it has disappeared.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply Jim!

Unfortunately though, it appears that my sound device (Turtle Beach Seven Game) is found in device manager. To clarify though, the sound works continuously in certain applications, while not at all in others.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-11-25_15-42-27.png
Views:	63
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	206482  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quick note, if I plug either headphones or speakers directly into the motherboard nothing is recognized and no sound plays at all.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakematt2004 View Post
Quick note, if I plug either headphones or speakers directly into the motherboard nothing is recognized and no sound plays at all.
That would be normal.

Your current configuration basically has 3 ( three ) audio chipsets. There is the motherboard chipset, which appears to be a Realtek chipset and isn't listed in the screenshot above. Then there is the AMD HD audio chipset, which is the audio chipset on the video card used to output audio over HDMI. And last is the Turtle Beach chipset, which is the USB chipset used by the headphones.

Windows will only output audio to the default audio device. So if you have audio over the Turtle Beach output, you aren't likely to get audio output of the other two.

Let's fix one thing at a time. Uninstall all of the Turtle Beach drivers / software and reboot.

Verify the BIOS settings for the onboard Realtek chipset and ensure the chipset is enabled. Then download and install the latest drivers from Asus and reboot. Then test the motherboard outputs.

After the Realtek chipset is working, you can then attempt to reinstall the Turtle Beach drivers / software. And again, ensure you are using the latest version available from Turtle Beach.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
Registered Member

As instructed, I have uninstalled all turtle beach devices from device manager, and for good measure i unplugged them too. Upon restarting the computer (twice, once after turtle beach uninstall and once for Realtek install) sound is still not working. I did verify that the Realtek chipset is enable in Bios and it appears to be a successful install; however Realtek sees no speakers even though it recognizes an input in the analog slot and volume control appears to lo longer work.

This seems to get more and more confusing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-11-26_22-41-25.png
Views:	57
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	206746  
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #7
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Is the Realtek chipset now listed in Device Manager?

What devices are in the Windows audio configuration?

Also, on the off chance that the Realtek chipset is actually faulty, disable the chipset in the BIOS, and then try installing the Turtle Beach software/drivers again.

Closed Thread