Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Weird sound issue

This is a discussion on Weird sound issue within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've got the strangest problem dealing with a sound driver. Here's a little background. I had a Windows 7 Asus

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

I've got the strangest problem dealing with a sound driver. Here's a little background. I had a Windows 7 Asus Essentio PC that lost its sound completely. After doing all the regular checks (making sure onboard Realtek sound was enabled in bios, checking for mutes, running MS troubleshooter, etc) I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and still no sound. Thinking the onboard sound chip was bad I installed a sound card but still could not get sound. Through all this the sound driver DID show up in device manager. I thought maybe something had gotten screwed up in the registry so decided to wipe it clean and start over.

Since this machine had once been upgraded to Windows 10 and sound had worked I did a clean install of Windows 10 will all Windows 10 drivers. Weirdly, the Realtek app showed in control panel but driver is NOT in device manager. I have sound but only basic sound using Microsoft basic driver. I uninstalled Realtek, disabled onboard sound in bios, and installed the sound card again. The sound card driver installed but never shows up in device manager and there is no sound. Now I'm back to the pingy sound using the MS basic driver. Has anyone got any ideas of what I can try next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

What's the exact make/model of your Asus PC?
Old 11-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

It is Asus Essentio CM5571
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 02:40 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

I've seen this issue happen on some old Dells, where there'd be no solution, uninstall the driver, restart the machine, reinstall the latest driver and it'd work and out of the blue would stop working again..

I'd suggest to see if there is a BIOS upgrade available Use Caution when upgrading the BIOS read through all instructions and understand any downsides before proceeding

See if this helps out. In most cases, users immediately install the updated driver without restarting the device first, this is incorrect practice, since most drivers/apps are usually unloaded and have a run once key set to remove residual information, so if you've done this during the driver reinstall, please perform the step again.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:39 AM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

There are NO Windows 10 drivers for your PC. The highest version of Windows for which audio drivers were published is Seven! You can try installing that in Windows 7 compatibility mode and see if it works, or use the other sound card you bought. What are its make and model? It is a USB one and does it have dedicated drivers for Windows 10? If not, you may have no choice other than to use it with the generic Windows drivers.
Closed Thread